Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
-School crap- Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:47 pm
My school is pretty big. We have about... 5,000 people. There were 2 buildings; one for the freshman and one for the other three grades. The upperclassman building has 3 floors, and the freshman building has one.

They ban all the bood food and now are going to more... healthier options. You know, diet pops that have the artificial sweetener that causes cancer. Yes! Instead of letting them eat sugar, let's give them cancer!! I see a law suit coming on right there.

There are alot of clubs and organizations.. way too many for me to keep track of. I just hate the scheduling. Block 4. Four classes a day, with 90 minutes in each class, an 8 minute passing period, and a 30 minute lunch. The days are soooo long!! Especially when you are really bored... and you look at the clock, and you still have an hour left.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:08 am
Ok, so I start 6th form college today!

It's the best in the country, according to two leading national newspapers. And there are no fees.

http://www.greenhead.ac.uk if anyone wants to check it out. There's 900 students in each year group (grade), meaning 1800 peeps aged 16-19 in the college O_o

Anyway, there was enrollment today, and along the line of tables you had to visit to sign up for stuff there was "greenhead christian society". The older 'uns were shoving buisness cards into the hands of scared looking year 12s (thats meee!). I gave the christian recruitment table one scornful look and moved on quickly. They all looked slightly scared at me an no-one pestered me. xD

I wonder what will happen if I try to set up an Atheist society? They'd probably allow it, but it would be filled with mindless religion-bashing so it should really be a free thinking religious debate club instead 3nodding

I rekon the christians are going to use my RS (religious studies, which I took volenterily after getting an A* in my GCSE) class to recruit and it will be filled with them, ima going to tell them I sold my soul to satan whee

Muaethia

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:14 am
I start school tomorrow. It's my first day going to an actual highschool (Where I live it's only Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors).

I'm taking full IB (International Baccalaureate) classes, which is sort of like AP classes.

I'm sort of nervous, I guess. I won't really know very many people there, only a few of my friends.

It doesn't help that I really hate school in general. Not that I do badly in it, quite the contrary, it's just...boring. Precisely why I signed up for IB.

I have no idea where I'm supposed to go on the first day. I haven't been given a schedule, so I guess I'll go to the office.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am
Muaethia

It's the best in the country, according to two leading national newspapers. And there are no fees.

http://www.greenhead.ac.uk if anyone wants to check it out. There's 900 students in each year group (grade), meaning 1800 peeps aged 16-19 in the college O_o

Anyway, there was enrollment today, and along the line of tables you had to visit to sign up for stuff there was "greenhead christian society". The older 'uns were shoving buisness cards into the hands of scared looking year 12s (thats meee!). I gave the christian recruitment table one scornful look and moved on quickly. They all looked slightly scared at me an no-one pestered me. xD

I wonder what will happen if I try to set up an Atheist society? They'd probably allow it, but it would be filled with mindless religion-bashing so it should really be a free thinking religious debate club instead 3nodding

I rekon the christians are going to use my RS (religious studies, which I took volenterily after getting an A* in my GCSE) class to recruit and it will be filled with them, ima going to tell them I sold my soul to satan whee

...So wait, is it a college or a highschool?

6th form college? Is it sort of an alternative to highschool?

EDIT: Oh, I see. It's a British thing. You guys don't have Junior or Senior years of secondary school.

It kept going on about "A-levels" and I had no idea what they were talking about. sweatdrop  

Lethkhar

Muaethia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 pm
Lethkhar
Muaethia

...So wait, is it a college or a highschool?

6th form college? Is it sort of an alternative to highschool?

EDIT: Oh, I see. It's a British thing. You guys don't have Junior or Senior years of secondary school.

It kept going on about "A-levels" and I had no idea what they were talking about. sweatdrop

In secondary school, it's year 7, year 8, year 9, year 10 and year 11.

Year---------Equivilant
7-------------Middle school?
8-------------Last year of middle school
9-------------Freshman high school year
10------------Sophomore high school year
11------------Junior high school year

Then you can leave school at the age of 16 and get a job. However, most employers look for A-levels, volentary but essential if you want a good job, or if you want to go to university.

The lower and upper 6th together are called "6th form".

Year-----Title-------------Equivilant
12-------Lower 6th-------Senior high school year
13-------Upper 6th-------None

Then university, if you want. To do a degree.

College here is the 6th-form college, like ages 16-18 where you do your A-levels. Some schools have a 6th form "centre" or "department" where you can stay at school to study your A levels if you want. Or you go to a college, usually locally (almost everyone still lives at home).

You usually take courses in 3 to 6 A levels. I'm starting out with 4 this time, which is what the majority of people do. You need to get these A-levels, final exams taken when you're 18, to move on to university, what you would call college. You can't just skip from school to university. Unless you're doing 6th-form at school.

The main difference between 6th-form college and 6th-form at school is that colleges are much larger. And there is a huge variety of courses. At the school I just left, the 6th-form centre offered about 15 different courses, this college offers like 28. There are about 400 in that school 6th-form, at my college there will 900 students starting, and a further 900 in the upper 6th.

And you take AS levels at the end of year 12.

And there are other options you can do at colleges instead of A-levels, but that's really complicated xD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:48 pm
Lethkhar
I start school tomorrow. It's my first day going to an actual highschool (Where I live it's only Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors).

I'm taking full IB (International Baccalaureate) classes, which is sort of like AP classes.

I'm sort of nervous, I guess. I won't really know very many people there, only a few of my friends.

It doesn't help that I really hate school in general. Not that I do badly in it, quite the contrary, it's just...boring. Precisely why I signed up for IB.

I have no idea where I'm supposed to go on the first day. I haven't been given a schedule, so I guess I'll go to the office.

Bleh. I didn't want to do the full IB program so I took mainly AP classes in 11th and 12th, but my Spanish classes were for both programs. My school had 'advanced' classes or whatever the hell they called them for 9th and 10th. So I did that those years. It wasn't bad, and it did get better once I got into AP stuff. The main thing that made it interesting was the teacher you got. Some gave you more advanced work than others.
Most of my friends were going for the IB diploma and it didn't really help them more. o.x They just bitched the whole time about all the extra things they had to do like volunteer and they 'helped' eachother a lot. The whole IB group pretty much just procrastinated and kind of got work done in a group xD
I still graduated third in my class though.
Are you doing the IB diploma program?

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:55 pm
c a u s t i c
Lethkhar

Bleh. I didn't want to do the full IB program so I took mainly AP classes in 11th and 12th, but my Spanish classes were for both programs. My school had 'advanced' classes or whatever the hell they called them for 9th and 10th. So I did that those years. It wasn't bad, and it did get better once I got into AP stuff. The main thing that made it interesting was the teacher you got. Some gave you more advanced work than others.
Most of my friends were going for the IB diploma and it didn't really help them more. o.x They just bitched the whole time about all the extra things they had to do like volunteer and they 'helped' eachother a lot. The whole IB group pretty much just procrastinated and kind of got work done in a group xD
I still graduated third in my class though.
Are you doing the IB diploma program?

Planning on it. Sophomores do "Pre-IB" to see if they really want to do it or not. That's what I'm doing.

The teachers are great, though. Incredible, actually.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm
I'l be a sophmore on the seventh. Ugh, I'l be surrounded by freshmen! Considering all my cousin's friends -only ones I know.. I'm not social, and having to live in a new place dosen't give me much time - are all freshman x.X; Otherwise, just waiting for that damn day xD  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:09 am
It is 7 in the ******** morning. I can't get back to sleep. I'm probably gunna skip my classes today. I am hung the ******** over, and Ball State won the game last night. Go Cards! Go BSU! Go Tailgaiting! Go hangovers! stare  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:16 am
I had Uni, I phailed so now I spend my time lazying around the house sad  

Kiron

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:02 am
Yami_Ichi

They ban all the bood food and now are going to more... healthier options. You know, diet pops that have the artificial sweetener that causes cancer. Yes! Instead of letting them eat sugar, let's give them cancer!! I see a law suit coming on right there.

Seriously. *Everything* gives you cancer. Diet soda just happens to be the tastiest option.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:09 am
Dathu
It is 7 in the ******** morning. I can't get back to sleep. I'm probably gunna skip my classes today. I am hung the ******** over, and Ball State won the game last night. Go Cards! Go BSU! Go Tailgaiting! Go hangovers! stare

I have to get up at half seven on a saturday (from the end of september till the end of june), and go to drama. I've had a few times where it's been hell to get out of bed due to a particularly good friday night beforehand, with hangoverous conequences xD

I'm knackered now. Full day at college today, I went to bed at 11 last night and woke up at half 6 this morning. Yesterday, I got up at 5am after having been asleep since 11 also.

It's friday, but if the college continues to be this demanding, i'm not going to have enough energy ever to go out on a friday again O_o

Muaethia

Aepix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:21 pm
Lethkhar

Planning on it. Sophomores do "Pre-IB" to see if they really want to do it or not. That's what I'm doing.

Blarg. I thought IB would make things interesting as well. The only decent part of IB was Theory of Knowledge. I quit school within three months. Now I'm unschooled. TOK never fit in with the rest of IB. IB was about busy work. It was harder, but still busy work. It was about grades. TOK was about questioning. So I questioned school. Then I left because I didn't need it anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:44 pm
I have just wasted yet another day of my life at school. At the rate I'm going, I think I'll just give up and become a housewife...*shivers*... The most useful thing I did today was spend an hour (the other half of my double music lesson) practicing my clarinet.

Quote:
Muaethia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:09 pm
Dathu Wrote:
It is 7 in the ******** morning. I can't get back to sleep. I'm probably gunna skip my classes today. I am hung the ******** over, and Ball State won the game last night. Go Cards! Go BSU! Go Tailgaiting! Go hangovers! icon_stare.gif

I have to get up at half seven on a saturday (from the end of september till the end of june), and go to drama. I've had a few times where it's been hell to get out of bed due to a particularly good friday night beforehand, with hangoverous conequences xD

I'm knackered now. Full day at college today, I went to bed at 11 last night and woke up at half 6 this morning. Yesterday, I got up at 5am after having been asleep since 11 also.

It's friday, but if the college continues to be this demanding, i'm not going to have enough energy ever to go out on a friday again O_o

The other night I didn't get to sleep until two in the morning and I had to be up at seven>.< I was so dead later.  

Emmanuela

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Aethiopica
Lethkhar

Blarg. I thought IB would make things interesting as well. The only decent part of IB was Theory of Knowledge. I quit school within three months. Now I'm unschooled. TOK never fit in with the rest of IB. IB was about busy work. It was harder, but still busy work. It was about grades. TOK was about questioning. So I questioned school. Then I left because I didn't need it anymore.

Meh, all the teachers insist that they don't assign busy work. And so far they've been a lot more critical than my past teachers.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff