Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Japan(Discussion: Everything about it!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:03 pm

Sumo might be fun... blaugh
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:50 am

i like their technology and anime

lilazn101

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:45 pm

Cat-Whiskers
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apasia_story.asp?category=1104&slug=Japan Textbooks

Quote:
Japan city adopts controversial textbooks

By MARI YAMAGUCHI
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TOKYO -- A Japanese city's school board on Wednesday approved textbooks that some other Asian nations say glorify Japan's militaristic past, a decision that drew an angry response from South Korea.

Otawara, about 80 miles north of Tokyo, is believed to the first city in Japan to adopt the latest editions of the New History Textbook and New Civics Textbook, according to the Education Ministry and the books' publisher, Fusosha Ltd.

Japan's Education Ministry approved the editions in April, drawing furious protests from China and South Korea.

Anger in China over the books' approval triggered violent riots in several cities in April, worsening tensions between Beijing and Tokyo, which have been feuding over ownership of several islands and other territorial disputes.

Critics say the books gloss over Japanese military atrocities - such as using Asian women as sexual slaves for troops in Asia and massacring civilians in Nanking, China - in the 1930s and 40s.

The new textbooks do not mention sexual slavery, and relegate the Nanking killings to a footnote.

Japan also colonized the Korean Peninsula in 1910-45. On Wednesday, Seoul quickly expressed "deep regret" over the decision to use the textbooks.

South Korea's Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying the books contain material "glorifying Japan's past history of invasion" and could lead to "repetition of an unfortunate history."

Wednesday's decision by Otawara educators means about 2,300 students at 12 public junior high schools in the city will begin studying from the books in April 2006, said Otawara city official Masaru Kizami. They will use the books for four years, he said.

Many of Japan's 580 school districts are expected to choose textbooks by late August for the 2006 school year. It was not immediately clear how many were likely to adopt the two controversial books, which were prepared by nationalist scholars.

On Wednesday, Otawara officials defended their decision.

"I understand there are various opinions about the books, but we made the decision only from the educational point of view," city board of education chief Ryu Onuma said at a news conference. "I strongly believe the books can help children accurately learn about the traditions and history of our country and develop pride and love for their nation."

education my a**.... this is gonna trigger another riot in China, way to go dumbasses, my salute to you for your degradation and whitewashing of history.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:47 pm

wiim
Cat-Whiskers
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apasia_story.asp?category=1104&slug=Japan Textbooks

Quote:
Japan city adopts controversial textbooks

By MARI YAMAGUCHI
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TOKYO -- A Japanese city's school board on Wednesday approved textbooks that some other Asian nations say glorify Japan's militaristic past, a decision that drew an angry response from South Korea.

Otawara, about 80 miles north of Tokyo, is believed to the first city in Japan to adopt the latest editions of the New History Textbook and New Civics Textbook, according to the Education Ministry and the books' publisher, Fusosha Ltd.

Japan's Education Ministry approved the editions in April, drawing furious protests from China and South Korea.

Anger in China over the books' approval triggered violent riots in several cities in April, worsening tensions between Beijing and Tokyo, which have been feuding over ownership of several islands and other territorial disputes.

Critics say the books gloss over Japanese military atrocities - such as using Asian women as sexual slaves for troops in Asia and massacring civilians in Nanking, China - in the 1930s and 40s.

The new textbooks do not mention sexual slavery, and relegate the Nanking killings to a footnote.

Japan also colonized the Korean Peninsula in 1910-45. On Wednesday, Seoul quickly expressed "deep regret" over the decision to use the textbooks.

South Korea's Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying the books contain material "glorifying Japan's past history of invasion" and could lead to "repetition of an unfortunate history."

Wednesday's decision by Otawara educators means about 2,300 students at 12 public junior high schools in the city will begin studying from the books in April 2006, said Otawara city official Masaru Kizami. They will use the books for four years, he said.

Many of Japan's 580 school districts are expected to choose textbooks by late August for the 2006 school year. It was not immediately clear how many were likely to adopt the two controversial books, which were prepared by nationalist scholars.

On Wednesday, Otawara officials defended their decision.

"I understand there are various opinions about the books, but we made the decision only from the educational point of view," city board of education chief Ryu Onuma said at a news conference. "I strongly believe the books can help children accurately learn about the traditions and history of our country and develop pride and love for their nation."

education my a**.... this is gonna trigger another riot in China, way to go dumbasses, my salute to you for your degradation and whitewashing of history.

great more news for cat to b***h about stare

yalie5

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:51 pm

yalie5

you don't say.... stare
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:53 pm

Doesn't it seem similar to the propaganda from WWII that Japan used? (for those who are familiar with Japanese society back then)
Almost misinforming the people again. Except back then, believing in the Emperor was considered the most patriotic/nationalistic thing.

Anyway, with so many foreign entities in Japan now, someone will speak out about the textbooks in Japan, so the Japanese people won't be oblivious to the point-of-views of other countries.

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 pm

Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

you don't say.... stare

Shouldn't you be working not finding news so you can rant about it with us?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:58 pm

wiim
Doesn't it seem similar to the propaganda from WWII that Japan used? (for those who are familiar with Japanese society back then)
Almost misinforming the people again. Except back then, believing in the Emperor was considered the most patriotic/nationalistic thing.

Anyway, with so many foreign entities in Japan now, someone will speak out about the textbooks in Japan, so the Japanese people won't be oblivious to the point-of-views of other countries.

like propaganda varies in different countries. it's all the same. glorify your cause while slandering the opposition with misinformation to confuse the public and steer them into the direction of your goal with well written speeches. and as for the text books, the japanese will learn the truth. every countries textbook tries to cover up all the bad things the country does. or at least make it seem less of a big deal. and besides. hasn't history always been one sided? and cat... yes. i do say cool

yalie5

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 pm

t0shi0
Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

you don't say.... stare

I don't work at 9 pm in the night... stare

@wiim: yes it's very similar... the book is written by nationalists, after all...
@yalie5: yeah... but this is not concerning only their own history... if the Germans tried to whitewash the holocaust you would have an instant uproar across the world, why should this be any different?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 pm

Cat-Whiskers
t0shi0
Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

you don't say.... stare

@wiim: yes it's very similar... the book is written by nationalists, after all...
@yalie5: yeah... but this is not concerning only their own history... if the Germans tried to whitewash the holocaust you would have an instant uproar across the world, why should this be any different?

what makes you think that they haven't. and even if it weren't the germans it still happened. are you aware of the fact that there are people out there who think that the holocaust wasn't that bad and there are some who even say it's hoax. besides. i think what is printed in the history books should be up to the printer. not the governement.

yalie5

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:13 pm

yalie5
what makes you think that they haven't. and even if it weren't the germans it still happened. are you aware of the fact that there are people out there who think that the holocaust wasn't that bad and there are some who even say it's hoax. besides. i think what is printed in the history books should be up to the printer. not the governement.

You and I are not even arguing about the same thing. I'm not talking about just anyone printing any book that whitewashes the holocaust. I'm talking about the German education ministry approving a text book that whitewashes the holocaust, did they do that? No, obviously not. Prove me wrong if you can.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:15 pm

yalie5
Cat-Whiskers
t0shi0
Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

you don't say.... stare

There has to be some form of government to regulate the education textbooks. Although under a bad government, that's just as bad as allowing the authors/publishers/editors/printers only to print whatever they want. confused

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

yalie5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:21 pm

wiim
yalie5
Cat-Whiskers
t0shi0
Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

you don't say.... stare

There has to be some form of government to regulate the education textbooks. Although under a bad government, that's just as bad as allowing the authors/publishers/editors/printers only to print whatever they want. confused

true... i like the chinese form of taking down history better. during the dynasties there were two histories. one filled with the usual flattery and propaganda then the one with the truths that wasn't to be revealed until the dynasty was overthrown. antd cat how can you be sure that the german ministry did approve of it? besides. There are germans who were actually proud of the holocaust. and go ahead and feel free not to prove me wrong.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:26 pm

yalie5
true... i like the chinese form of taking down history better. during the dynasties there were two histories. one filled with the usual flattery and propaganda then the one with the truths that wasn't to be revealed until the dynasty was overthrown. antd cat how can you be sure that the german ministry did approve of it? besides. There are germans who were actually proud of the holocaust. and go ahead and feel free not to prove me wrong.

Uh, you're the one who claimed the Germans might've done it. The burden of proof is on you, not me. And please, don't bicker back and forth with me on the subject of pointing fingers and accusations. We're all mature enough to know the German government would never approve a text book that whitewashes the holocaust and actually let them use it to teach in schools. True that are neo-nazis, but are they in control of the government? No. Are they are huge influential force in Germany? No.
This type of arguing, where it's more sementics and phrasing than actual morals and issues, is really tiresome and annoying. I hate to debate like that, so please don't make me explain myself over again. Thanks wink

Cat-Whiskers

yalie5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Cat-Whiskers
yalie5

Uh, you're the one who claimed the Germans might've done it. The burden of proof is on you, not me. And please, don't bicker back and forth with me on the subject of pointing fingers and accusations. We're all mature enough to know the German government would never approve a text book that whitewashes the holocaust and actually let them use it to teach in schools. True that are neo-nazis, but are they in control of the government? No. Are they are huge influential force in Germany? No.
This type of arguing, where it's more sementics and phrasing than actual morals and issues, is really tiresome and annoying. I hate to debate like that, so please don't make me explain myself over again. Thanks wink

okay i did not claim the germans might have whitewashed history. i only asked what makes you so sure that they didn't? and i'm not pointing fingers and accusing people. just stating some things i've heard from my teachers. and no neo-nazis are not a huge influential force in germany because so many of them live in florida. eek And exactly what types of arguing is going on here? i do beleive we were talking about textbooks and riots.
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff