Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angel Eclipse

Back to Guilds

A unique role playing community! 

Tags: Roleplaying, Fantasy, Adventure, Angel, Eclipse 

Reply Role Playing [Verspya]
Talking while you role play Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm
XD Tacoma jump on it, jump on it, jump on it!

XD that suck is so stupid but its fun to hear  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 pm
Going to a party, back later.  

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Deus Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:02 pm
One Piece Fanatic
Deus Ruinus
Hiraru Sagara
UkyoKuonji2004
The problem's not Japan, it's North America and them being too picky and particular about what they put on TV. Ranma 1/2 for example is for kids 13 and older in Japan. It's 18+ here. Like people younger than 18 never seen boobies before. And there's never been sex or anything like that in the show either.
Pokemon and Sailor Moon seemed to always have SOMETHING wrong with it too. The names are too Japanese. The culture is not American. The jokes make no sense over here, so replace it with something bland and stupid here. The Japanese food being edited out completely.
One episode of Pokemon was taken out from North America because a character caught a cold(and hence has similar symptoms to SARS), another was removed because of the use of firearms(even though I think it was fake), another one was taken out because James was wearing a bathing suit(And looked really smexy in it btw >_<), another one...the list keeps going. I know at least three or four more episodes that were removed/edited for stupid reasons like that.

You also have to remember America was founded by heavily religious people... puritans. We are still heavily set in their mind set.... And they were the kind of people that if a woman wore her hair down, she was a witch... Most North Americans have a similar mind set... Naked women, guns, and STDs are more than 'we' want our children seeing in a cartoon... Though how that explains Family Guy I don't know... Maybe it's because it comes on later at night... I did however meet an eight year old who watched Family Guy with her Dad and step-mom...

Way I figure it, if the kid doesn't know what 'That' is, it doesn't matter.

They could always just put in... waves/steam/fake swimsuits, like they did with some of the Gundums, and Tenchi Meuyo.

you mean the founders who were exiled from Britain wink funny though ranma 1/2 is only a age rating of 12 and elfen lied is only a 15 over here in Britain razz

They weren't exiled. They would have been executed and in a nasty way too, because they held varying believes from the Church of England. They escaped to the New World so they could practice their beliefs without free of death.

you know it is possible that people re wrote there history books, in our british books it says they were exiled from our land due to we couldn't accept the ideas of there beliefs, while this was a time when Britain was having a major civil war over religion. however there's never such thing as an accurate history book, always get re written so they could make themselves more believable and make them look better... and i mean THEM! as in EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm
I believe in our Canadian books about history was that it was kind of a mixture. I know Europe in general liked sending their prisoners to places like Greenland. I have reason to believe it was a combination of both that occupied the States. I remember I saw some pictures of the sizes of the various colonies that occupied north America in various times. But he is right. History books are most likely not correct due to how they are re-written. I believe the best way for a history book to be wrote, is by a group of people that do not have anything to do with the countries they are writing about and can therefore tell the truth straight without 'taking sides'.  

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm
the books are biased and presented to teach the main parts of our culture which incluse patrionism, mores, and folkways, along with the occasional law. When we are taught about our country we are taught that our side is the right side, we were the ones who were wronged or protecting. The idea is to teach our children and others to believe in our countries, when they say we should be opened minded or when someone claims to be open minded they are lying, because we cant help the conditioning we have undergone to become an adult citizen in our country.

In truth, the wars were clashes of beliefs, the good guy fighting another good guy, we both thing the other is wrong. In war there is no hero because everyone kills, and everyone believes they are doing the right thing. our history books do not portray this openly, you will rarely find a sentence that sates the opposing side was possibly right.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 pm
I found our Canadian History class very interesting because of that Puppet. One chapter was about Canada's contribution to WWII, and it talked about the atomic bombs and such. It never once glorified America or Japan, and it never even glorified Canada. Basically after Pearl Harbor was bombed the Japanese(or simply Asians for that matter) in Canada were predjudiced against and treated very badly. It's a part of Canadian history but we didn't sugarcoat it with garbage. It was given to us straight. We were the 'bad guys' no matter what.
That and the fact that ages before that, when the railroads were being made, Chinese workers did most of the hard work; with fatalities. These were incidences in Canadian history where we were definitely in the wrong.  

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:14 pm
That may very well be true, but even canada has their own ways of treating you to the same conditioning American students will recieve. It is crucial for children to be taught patrionism at a young age becuase it also helps against deviance, Everyone wants some sort of order to take place, and that includes stomping out the sore thumbs, the people that act dfferently and dont step itno line. Patrionism means we are taught to follow the rules of the land and to agree with at least most of what is said, that is what makes it a love for the country.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm
I was raised believing Newfoundland will someday become it's own country, it's own republic. I highly doubt Canada wants that even if it's a small hardly populated province. It was never in our books that's for sure, but it does mention how stupid we were for becoming a part of Canada. Well, that was mostly Newfoundland's fault...We're too stupid and gullible for our own good sometimes.
We were taught that we are the peacekeepers, while the US is the peacemakers. There is a difference.  

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:36 pm
yes but you still consider us worse that you're own country in many ways. That is the similarity. Just as we are raised believing we are better than other countries in some ways you are too. We believe japan is the country of technology
but also that they are too lienient on what their children see, what is seen as normal for them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm
Oh I have had a good taste of the US already. Work in a call center for two years and you'll be turned away from yourselves as well. So saying people tell me that the major cities in Canada can be almost as bad. I don't really like mainland Canada either, but I would be willing to go there to visit. I don't even dream about leaving this island for good. I'm too proud to be an Islander. I would miss the local dishes, and the stunning scenery.
If anything, Newfoundland today is a geneticist's playground. We had been cut off from the world for so long that hereditary diseases that are rare everywhere else in the world are actually common here. Twilingate people are famous for being hemophiliacs for example.  

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 pm
oh that may very well be a good reason for being turned away from the us but if we were to believe everything we saw and make it a generalization for a larger place I would think you were probably more barbaric and less familiar with technology, as expected as an islander, or maybe someone who acs strange becuase you are living somewher that is part of canada.

I for one know that there are places that arent people friendly and places that are. My dad was a truck driver, I saw the entire us because we went everywhere. I even crossed the borders a few times. You cant think of people as what Tv shows, I used to think or newyorkers as stuck up, and rude. But when I went there I had the time of my life becuase the people I met were mostly cheerful, ready to help. and it was in the city, not in certian places like a few family shops. I knew a lady who gave me a pair of gloves becuase it was snowing and I didnt have any, no doubt she could have just left me be and expected my dad to give me some, but she was willing to do it. Just as there are good people there are bad people

But no one will remember the good things about others just the bad. The bad will continue to be talked about.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 pm
Im sorry ucchan I dont mena to be rude, I just thought of how that sounded.

Im not trying to start a fight with you, I'm just trying to make a point.

It bothers me that alot of what you say about the us is negative

I have yet to hear you compliment the us, it is my home and to hear someone say only bad things its a little insulting.  

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Hiraru Sagara

Magic Hunter

17,075 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm
We were taught... That Japan is so technologically Advanced, because in the 1950s America sent some of our best engineers over to Japan to rebuild it, making it's factories more advanced than our own which were... 30 or 40 years old.

And I remember from my College history teacher, an expert in Eastern Native American history, that Jamestown (The first successful colony in the 'US') had such problems getting settlers that they brought over the drunks, the whores, the people from the poor house, and other criminals. These people were shipped over to James town. Most of them died with in a year.

We didn't spend as much time on the Puritians, and their colony as we did on James down, and it's multiple... near failures. Then how The US was a colony of drunks, then on how the US was a country of idiots, and then that it was a country of murderers, and cowards, and idiots. We all know we are the descendants of Drunks for the most part.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 pm
the us has done great things, we have faults. Like every country we make mistakes, and we have faults but we also have great things going for us.  

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 pm
We are the descendants of merchants and fishermen for the most part. L'Ance au Meadows is considered the first(or one of the first) settlements in North America, settled by the Vikings. A town on the east coast of our island, called Cupids, is considered the oldest English settlement in North America.  
Role Playing [Verspya]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games