Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Confession box. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 113 114 115 116 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 am

No, because I'm not a ----ing Tory. razz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:38 am

Of course you aren't now. You must have already been converted to the Greens or Labour.
But what about before you became politicall aware? blaugh

Minielf

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:20 am

Back then I still wouldn't have, because I've always been a fairly decent person. stare razz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Minielf
Kodocha579
Minielf
Tokioka
Minielf
It's not our fault they've become sub-human. Blame the original colonizers of Australia.
Well it's not like they've become savages who eat human flesh. They're still the same as you and me deep down. 3nodding

And you'd best make yourself scarce, looks like you've upset the missus. lol

Hey, it wasn't my idea to call Aborigines sub-human. The white ruling class here, and even the government have been folliowing the line that Aborigines are nothing but noble savages that either must be segregated or civilized for a hundred years at least. I know there are a lot of aborigines who are quite civilized and quite skilled at arts, both in playing the didgeridoo and in writing. I personally know a famous Aboriginal activist.

But travel right into the outback desert and try and find aborigines who still live in native reserves and you will see that they still mostly liive as promitive stone-age peeple do. 3nodding

Snow: Sorry I wasn't intending to diss Americans. I was just questioning how Americans view Australian culture. It's the truth that people who don't live in Australia have no comprehending of what Australia is like.

yea but you still dissed americans. why americans? why not brits. tokis the one whos making stereotypes not me. and im the american not him. goshes.

Sorry Snow, but the stereotype Toki used of Australians does come from America, and if you hadn't noticed, I did also aimed a slur at Toki for thinking that me and Sin could play the didgeridoo.

Niph: Fine, I accept the fact that calling the aborigines sub-human isn't very nice. But when you live in a society that's mistreated, exploited and almost wiped out its native inhabitants, and then indoctrinates immigrants like me in the majority view about these native inhabitants, wouldn't you expect to end up sharing the same opinions?
Honestly, I think deep down most of the aborigines wish they were still living the primitive uncivilized life they had before colonization. At least they wouldn't have to experience the worst features of modern society all at once.

oh my god that so mean. so youre 'following' society. that still doesnt make it right to call HUMAN BEINGS subhuman. thats cruel. (sorry im a little late i didnt notice what you were talking about) cmon. elfy. oh look everycalls... NO. it doesnt make it right.

Kodocha579

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:24 pm

Ok, I guess I've blown a debate out of proportions to what I originally intended. Me calling aborigines 'sub-human' was supposed to be part of a sarcastic joke aimed at Toki for calling stereotypes at Australian society. In actual fact, I don't regard individual aborigines as sub-human. My political views about indigenous australians is far different from what my personal views are.
But in certain situations, even a decent person with morally sensible views can fall prey to politically incorrect but nevertheless populist statements. The numerous left-wing student activists who call for the destruction of Israel and death to all jews which are so common in my university are a demonstration of this fact. I doubt these fellow students actually want to see individual jews get slaughtered, but because they're all following a broad ideology that demands such an outcome, it's probably inevitable that some of them may use such talk in common speech.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:19 am

Tokioka
And you'd best make yourself scarce, looks like you've upset the missus. lol

Should've taken my advice. cool huhu

Tokioka

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:08 pm

IMO, personal views = political views; I wouldn't support something politically which went against my personal moral code. Another joke of 'elfy's I can't decipher.. >__<;; well, nothing to say about that. Yes, I agree, populist statements can be very hard to resist getting into your psyche (like "Bush is a moron") etc. It's not just about PC, though; it's about basic - decency, non? Just be careful, 'elfy, 'kay? <3

@Toki - rofl
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 pm

On another random note, I ended up discussing christianity with a christian union second year from 1 am til 5 am, hence my staying up so late. Was an awesome chat, the most intellectual one I'd had in a while. It was like a game of tennis, I'd send him a tough question that shook the very foundations of his beliefs and he'd return it with an equally good answer and so on and so forth. Bath rules. biggrin

Tokioka

Flammable Bait

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:18 am

Did he reply with a god works in mysterious ways serve?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:29 am

SurvivingPyrodoxManiac...

You can't reply with a serve, silly. razz

@Toki - Sounds good. I'd have enjoyed that.. 3nodding

Niphredil Ithilmir

Tokioka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:58 am

Niphredil Ithilmir
SurvivingPyrodoxManiac...

You can't reply with a serve, silly. razz

@Toki - Sounds good. I'd have enjoyed that.. 3nodding
That you would have. 3nodding

The bad thing about doing that chat last night was I ended up sleeping at 6:30 am and then there was a fire drill at 7:15!! gonk

Was so bloody cold standing out in the drizzle at the time... then went back to bed and only woke up about half an hour ago. xd

@CH: Yosh, yosh he did. surprised
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Teared meh contact lenses... twice... still have to fix the second one

Liliala Sasparilla

xiiao-ai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:13 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Blarg.

How do you fix a contact lense?

.__.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. || My doorknob owns You. || User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I don't see how she teared them in the first place, I've never managed that before.

Tokioka

xiiao-ai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Blarg.

I have.

It`s surprisingly easy.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. || My doorknob owns You. || User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 113 114 115 116 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games