Books you hated. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When I read a book I hate...
  ...I don't finish it.
  ...I finish it.
  ...I finish it and rant for days about how much time I wasted on that POS.
View Results

Musicpained

Dedicated Loiterer

5,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Loiterer 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 am
Hate is a strong word nya...I'd rather use the word dislike. XD
Twilight. It's way too over-rated, very repetitive and sometimes the story just makes no sense.

I finished the whole saga though. No matter how much I dislike the book, I'd finish reading it first, because sometimes the ending might be all worth it.

But sadly, twilight just isn't one of those books.

P.S: I actually liked the Giver. It's one enjoyable book to me nya~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 pm
Most of the things you all like, I detest. So I'm not going to mention them, one book I cannot understand why anyone reads are Nora Roberts Romance novels.

Seriously, you might as well go watch an adult movie.  

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm
Your opinion is your own - stating that, for instance, you despise Shakespeare will not draw ire, nor will emphasizing your distaste of all things J.K. Rowling.

I agree with you on the subject of romance - I refuse to pay waste valuable coin for any romance or mystery novel, or anything that states "New York Times Bestseller" at the top.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:49 pm
I liked Eragon, but I never bothered reading any of the sequels to it. It was good, but not that good. I also loved Cell by Stephen King, as well as The Giver.

I don't like Romeo and Juliet all that much either. I think it's the Shakespeare play I liked the least. But a couple books I hated were Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and Twilight. Angela's Ashes was a much better movie than book. The book dragged out at parts and was pretty whiny. I never finished it for that reason.

And Twilight. I actually planned on reading it, borrowed the first one from a friend, and got ten pages into it before I just couldn't go on. Then, a couple months later, it became the newest fad, and I hated it. It's not just because it's popular, it's because it's bad writing. It's terrible. She literally has four word sentences all over the place. It's just not very engaging at all. What it is, is a romance novel geared directly towards hopelessly romantic teenage girls. And at that, it succeeds flawlessly.

Katsody

Tipsy Bloodsucker

9,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Team Edward 100

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:55 pm
Priestess of Neptune
Your opinion is your own - stating that, for instance, you despise Shakespeare will not draw ire, nor will emphasizing your distaste of all things J.K. Rowling.

I agree with you on the subject of romance - I refuse to pay waste valuable coin for any romance or mystery novel, or anything that states "New York Times Bestseller" at the top.

Well, I don't like insulting people, but I don't like most books nowadays, I think Harry Potter is actually well thought out and rounded, if having a few gaps here and there. Most everything else is a carbon copy of books you all are too young to have read.

To me, most of these books people claim to love are sub-par to what beauteous stories I grew up with. It's like comparing Shakespeare to the classics of Rome, they're in a whole different realm you know? (Some of these well know classics some of you all detest are rather droll.)

Mostly I agree with the twilight haters, I wanted so hard to get to love that book. My friends begged me to read all four books.

I had to ask so many questions, I was alarmed by the fact that once Bella knew that Edward had been stalking her for months on end; watching her as she dressed, staying in her room, she acted as if there was nothing wrong with it. Why then, if everything was poison to her could she kiss him with out her being killed?

It was like reading a bad fanfiction, everything she said in the beginning contradicted itself in the end.

Best quote ever:

Me: twilight isn't a book.
My friend: What? Yes it is.
Me: No, no it isn't, book titles are capitalized. The title isn't capitalized, therefore; twilight is not a book.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:33 pm
You and I seem to be in the same trope - my own consternation with the chaff which modern writers churn from their mills of dross matches yours.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:56 pm
Priestess of Neptune
You and I seem to be in the same trope - my own consternation with the chaff which modern writers churn from their mills of dross matches yours.

Exactly!....Only I'm not as well learned as you in expressing that in written word.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm
Personally, I hate any books that aren't either funny, don't have a bit of teenage stuff (even though I am 10, I like teen stuff, because I'm used to reading curses and cursing alot xD), don't have at least implied romance, are too kiddie for me, or it's just plain frickin long. I will seriously die if that book is too boring.

Although the only book that was frickin' long I liked was 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' it had implead romance with Jean and Dill and that it was kinda funny. Also, I liked 'The Messenger' (I forgot who the author was) but never finished it because... well, I dunno why, but still.  

Kizume-Chan

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm
Kizume-Chan, if you will please obviate the need to curse while you post within the guild.

If you enjoy romance, I might suggest Dickens's "A Tale of Two Cities".  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:51 pm
My most hated books would have to be...

Twilight: There are so many things WRONG with it! And I mean, COME ON! Sparkly vampires? You have GOT to be kidding me! I like Jacob though, that was the only thing good about the series. WEREWOLVES ROCK!!

Swan Maiden( Dunno the author): It was STUPID. The king killed everyone just because a beautiful girl ran away from him when they were supposed to get married? And she didn't even WANT to marry him. GAAAAAAAH! Now im angry. -_-

A View from Saturday: It switched from different peoples perspective without mentioning to the readers who was talking. It was very confusing.

That would have to be about it. Now I have to rant to someone how crappy those books were.  

Princess of Darkness 365

Fiat Lux Aeterna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 pm
I totally agree that Twilight was horrendous. A few other books I don't like... well, anything by Steven King. He just doesn't know how to write at all, either.

Also, Romeo and Juliet. It is just a ridiculous play, written for the masses. Yes, Shakespeare was pretty good with language, but you gotta face it: he was a total corporate sell-out.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 pm
The romance books that I really got hooked was the dark series by Christine Feehan. The later chapters get really steamy and hot but then the ending is like 'what... thats it...' I mean to me it was just too easy and simple for some reason.  

Christine Alina

8,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Reglare Excile

Friendly Warlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm
Books I hate. Well, there are too many to name, but I believe most of them are books in th romantic genre.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:27 pm
I must say that I did not love or like or whatever the Princes Diaries. It was a cluttered mess of letters and im's and stuff! I found it quite annoying to read a practically text talk book  

PoisonousMoonlight

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces