Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11157 11158 11159 11160 11161 11162 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 am

Kagura_Sohma
Betman
Kagura, it isn't that big a deal nowadays. But if you have problems with people speaking, that's on you. it's kind of about freedom of speech.

Now, I'm not taking shots at you, i'm just saying. whee

well where im from
its a big deal o_o;

your either somewhere in the mid south, or your in the northeast.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:27 am

~Xiloscent~
Kagura_Sohma
Betman
Kagura, it isn't that big a deal nowadays. But if you have problems with people speaking, that's on you. it's kind of about freedom of speech.

well where im from
its a big deal o_o;

o_o i don't live in the states
i live in Canada

its just a rude word

Kagura_Sohma

LifelessFawkes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:30 am

Kagura_Sohma
~Xiloscent~
Kagura_Sohma
Betman

well where im from
its a big deal o_o;

o_o i don't live in the states
i live in Canada

its just a rude word
I agree.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:32 am

I'm not saying that it isn't a rude word, i'm just saying that people use it these days, and it isn't something to freak out about.

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

Terara Drakon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:33 am

Oh hi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:35 am

It's a word that you can own. Black people can say it, but if white people do, it's a catastrophe.

Meta_Fish
Captain

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 am

it essentially a dirty word that has to be said in a certain tone to have a whole meaning of another kind.

i could be like "whassup!" to a friend and it'd mean buddy or friend. if i just say it to some stranger, i'm a bad person who dresses up like a ghost and hangs out with a cult.

but whenever i say it.

i'm a friend who uses it to just say in a short way, "your being ignorant." because ignorant doesn't look pleasant typed out either. in fact, it looks misspelled though it is correct.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:44 am

~Xiloscent~
it essentially a dirty word that has to be said in a certain tone to have a whole meaning of another kind.

i could be like "whassup!" to a friend and it'd mean buddy or friend. if i just say it to some stranger, i'm a bad person who dresses up like a ghost and hangs out with a cult.

but whenever i say it.

i'm a friend who uses it to just say in a short way, "your being ignorant." because ignorant doesn't look pleasant typed out either. in fact, it looks misspelled though it is correct.
:O

Meta_Fish
Captain

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Meta_Fish
It's a word that you can own. Black people can say it, but if white people do, it's a catastrophe.

Truthfully, its not right for ANYONE to use it. EVEN in a casual sense. People are just stupid these days. stare
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm

J of The Wind
Meta_Fish

Truthfully, its not right for ANYONE to use it. EVEN in a casual sense. People are just stupid these days. stare
It should be right, but people have made it seem okay to use it. I don't see what the big deal is, because when people use it, they aren't using it like it was originally intended anymore, unless they're like a level ten KKK member or something. The meaning of the word has changed.

Meta_Fish
Captain

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:13 pm

Meta_Fish
J of The Wind
Meta_Fish

It should be right, but people have made it seem okay to use it. I don't see what the big deal is, because when people use it, they aren't using it like it was originally intended anymore, unless they're like a level ten KKK member or something. The meaning of the word has changed.

I see what you mean, but the problem is it should have died. There are still a good amount of people who use it to refer to a derogatory sense of the word, and just b/c people USE it differently dosnt mean the meaning has changed.

That just means people are trying to make it seem different by using a different context. It still means what it means and should not exist to be used in either a harmful or playful manner.

However, despite the fact that times are indeed changing, I see how unfair it is to white people or otherwise to not be able to say it in public, but blacks can and its ok. Ill give you that one.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:29 pm

J of The Wind
I see what you mean, but the problem is it should have died. There are still a good amount of people who use it to refer to a derogatory sense of the word, and just b/c people USE it differently dosnt mean the meaning has changed.

That just means people are trying to make it seem different by using a different context. It still means what it means and should not exist to be used in either a harmful or playful manner.

However, despite the fact that times are indeed changing, I see how unfair it is to white people or otherwise to not be able to say it in public, but blacks can and its ok. Ill give you that one.
There is only one way for the word to die. The book Oryx and Crake makes an interesting point. What happens if you remove one generation. One generation of birds, one generation of flowers, one generation of people who speak French. If that generation doesn't do it's part the next generation will not have what they did, be it the death of a species, or a language dieing. To kill a word you have to control the speech of an entire generation.

I have to say, even bad words don't have a right to be destroyed though. I hate the idea of losing words. It makes me think of Newspeak from 1984. Crime is bad, but thoughtcrime is human. I don't want the world to become 1984. The word needs to stay, people need to change.

EDIT: I don't care if I don't get to say it in public. I can think of way better insults that don't draw on things like that. I rely on my wit!

Owwin

Kagura_Sohma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:30 pm

i agree that people who say it, usually don't mean it in the meaning of its original connotation
but to me, personally, the word still is referring to those of african american decent as being a lesser species of human

i just think its so wrong to even say it
at all

especially when there are african american people in this guild
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey, let's just move on. FOGET ABUT IT.

Tonberry Crunch

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

Owwin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Tonberry Crunch
Hey, let's just move on. FOGET ABUT IT.
Oh and pretend the holocaust didn't happen too eh? iI see how you are.

I only kid. Sorry.
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11157 11158 11159 11160 11161 11162 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games