Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angel Eclipse

Back to Guilds

A unique role playing community! 

Tags: Roleplaying, Fantasy, Adventure, Angel, Eclipse 

Reply Role Playing [Verspya]
Talking while you role play Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:59 pm

That guy mentioned 9/11 too. He said it was the biggest waste of blood he has ever seen, since not many people from the incident needed transfusions. Thousands of bags of blood were destroyed because of that day.
It's still in our(frequently updated) notes that the US still pays people to donate. Whether that's only in certain states or not I don't know. I know if you put $ on blood products, it costs $65 Canadian for a normal bag of blood, and for special kinds(with special antigens) the price goes up to over $300.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Can someone do a word count on this stuff I'll post below...?

This article is about younger people who have sickle cell disease. Scientists and doctors have been researching ways to possibly treat sickle cell anemia and sickle cell-caused stroke, which happens to a majority of patients with SCA. With the treatments, there are risks. One way to treat SCA and reduce their chances of a stroke is by transfusing healthy blood to the patient every month. With these frequent transfusions, iron overload is a definite possibility. The patient is given medications to decrease the iron to prevent hemachromatosis. This new trial is called Stroke with Transfusion Changing to Hydroxyurea, or SwiTCH. This trial is the same as traditional means of treating SCA only instead of deferasirox, or Exjade; Hydroxyurea is the drug used. The researchers used this newer drug for half of the willing patients who wanted to try the drug, and the other half recieved their usual drugs. The two groups were then compared to see if Hydroxyurea was a better drug for lowering iron concentrations. This trial was halted due to a review that shown that there was no significant change in iron concentrations between the two groups. Also, the people in the group that was on the Hydroxyurea drug experienced more strokes than the group that were taking other iron chelating medication.
I thought the article was fairly informative and gave me an insight of exactly what physicians prescribe to people who are anemic due to sickle cell disease, and what the patients have to go through. Although I didn't see it mentioned, this treatment is more than likely for patients who are chronically anemic due to the disease and are also more prone to have a stroke due to the disease. One thing I found very interesting is what the article said about what Hydroxyurea actually does once in the body. The drug stimulates the development of fetal hemoglobin, which would take the stored iron and use it in the patient's circulation. This combined with the transfusion and the subsequent bloodletting(to avoid circulatory overload) is very practical and seems sound in theory.

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

Tall Italian Boy

Generous Capitalist

12,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

345 mrgreen
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Hm...I should write more...She said no more than 500 words, but really I don't feel right unless I DO write that much...And she wants the references in APA style. Does anyone have any idea what the heck that is?

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Oh, I do! Give me a minute to try and find the website.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Here we go. The electronic version of the packet that haunted by sophomore and junior year. This website should have everything you need:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:24 pm

it wouldn't load
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm

The APA thing is driving me nuts... emo I swear I'm spending more time at this then I am actually writing the damn paper.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Yeah, it takes a lot of practice to get used to. I hated it for the past two years, but it doesn't seem too bad anymore.

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm

In my high school our teachers didn't care about this s**t. And they basically called it that too. They didn't want BS, they just wanted the references. This whole APA thing is BS. Chances are I'll never use it again. I never did up until now.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 pm

The only thing it is really used for is writing literature for scientific periodicals. And it is useful if you have a database of scientific articles, because if you have the citation, you can find the exact article.

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Looks like a load of technical BS to me. If they want references then what's so hard about simply copying and pasting the link instead of all this bull. And to make matters worse I know I'm doing it wrong so my prof will be the first one to point that out in the middle of the lab . All because I have a period put in the wrong place or something stupid like that.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Well, the design isn't really for websites. It's more for scientific periodicals and reports, which aren't always available online. I know it's made my project much easier when it comes to finding articles for my literature review. But I remember how annoying it was when I had to just blinding search on the internet for 'credible sources' and then cite them in that style. It was terrible.

Cecily D Aria
Crew

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 pm

The thing that pisses me off the most about this is that I'm going to have to discuss this damn article with everyone in the lab. When are they ever going to learn that I can't stand reading out stuff like this alone? And I know my prof is going to pick on me. All the profs pick on people who are scared to talk in front of the class. And this time I'm going to be talking about what I think about an article, which everyone else could very well disagree with me.
Well, she had in the guidelines that the references are required to be in BS style. She didn't say anything about anything else. So I just spent the past four hours doing nothing but typing in random s**t about an article and then topped it off with the pinnacle of stupidity with BS-style referencing. I would honestly sooner burn this paper than talk about it in class...
Role Playing [Verspya]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games