Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil 5 Discussion:: The Infection Spreads Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 am
Ok. But, ya gotta admit, Zombism is a form of life after death, which is a general fantasy topic affiliated with the supernatural. Whether they try to explain it or not, Science Fiction is considered to be a speculative fiction, which encompasses imaginative elements not found in contemporary reality, which indicates fantasy. So, in some people's beliefs, Fantasy is the same as Science Fiction. But, to not start any argument here, that is just how I see it, and it can totally be considered wrong pertaining to this series.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Actually it does. And I had a hard time explaining it, but then I heard a game developer say this, and he explained it very well.

Sci-Fi means you create a universe, and establish a set of rules (for example, in this universe there's an evil bio-weapons organization that creates viruses which mutate living things into monsters), and once you establish those rules, you work within those rules. That's what makes sci-fi believable.
But then if you say, "There's an ancient monster parasite that's been buried in the earth for hundreds of years," that's already breaking the rules, because up until now, every monster in the series has been man-made, meaning in nature, everything is perfectly normal.
And once you start breaking your own rules, it's no longer sci-fi, it's fantasy. And I've never, EVER viewed Resident Evil as a fantasy franchise. Nor do I want to.

in the parameters of possible situations within the RE universe, i think A LOT more is allowed to happen than just zombies and decaying cities. a new direction is a test for public reaction, then the developers can keep revising it to suit gamer needs. did you have any particular ideas that you wanted them to go with? ~looks for hidden RE designs up Bio's sleeves~ ninja  

FemBot684

4,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 am
Stranger to Paradise
Ok. But, ya gotta admit, Zombism is a form of life after death, which is a general fantasy topic affiliated with the supernatural. Whether they try to explain it or not, Science Fiction is considered to be a speculative fiction, which encompasses imaginative elements not found in contemporary reality, which indicates fantasy. So, in some people's beliefs, Fantasy is the same as Science Fiction. But, to not start any argument here, that is just how I see it, and it can totally be considered wrong pertaining to this series.

Zombies split ways with Fantasy a LONG time ago. At least partways. I wouldn't call ANY of Romero's zombie movies fantasy.

zeldagirl684
in the parameters of possible situations within the RE universe, i think A LOT more is allowed to happen than just zombies and decaying cities. a new direction is a test for public reaction, then the developers can keep revising it to suit gamer needs. did you have any particular ideas that you wanted them to go with? ~looks for hidden RE designs up Bio's sleeves~ ninja

Well, that's the part where you end the series. They should've just given RE's storyline one grand sendoff in the old style gameplay, and then if they wanted to change things, they could've started a new canon.
I mean, Capcom is trying to follow trends now, but isn't one of the biggest trends in the entertainment industry right now to restart things? James Bond, The Incredible Hulk, Batman, they're all being restarted from scratch. So you'd think Capcom would say, "Hey, that's popular, and since we like doing the popular thing so much, let's do that."  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:20 am
Ah, it is one of my strongly held beliefs that all zombie movies are fantasy, because to this person's knowledge, a mass out break of people that come back from the dead just to feast on the living has never become a reality, hence it being Fantasy.  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 am
Yeah, but to this person's knowledge, Aliens never came to earth and abducted people. But X-Files is still sci-fi.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:32 am
blaaahhhh nuuuu! someone slap some sense into capcom, but give a harder one to mr. miyamoto first!! >.<  

FemBot684

4,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 am
zeldagirl684
blaaahhhh nuuuu! someone slap some sense into capcom, but give a harder one to mr. miyamoto first!! >.<
Why what did he do?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 am
But is it not true that X-Files has MANY paranormal/ghost stories in it as well? Sci-Fi, AND Fantasy. Hell, the fact that the new movie had a religious psychic in it garners it notice that it isn't just about the focus of Science Fiction topics, but everything unexplainable, which can be either Science Fiction or Fantasy related.

[EDIT]: Bleh. I cannot contend under the fact that the show is officially labeled science fiction. Dammit, why can't my government just reveal the Roswell aliens so I can crush this argument!  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:41 am
Well, actually, in THAT particular aspect, the ghosts can be considered a sci-fi factor as well. Plus, like I said, it's all about the fact that they established their own rules and worked within them. The rules were a bit wider than what RE has established though, since X-Files tapped in many more forms of science fiction than Resident Evil.
So it's not like Aliens would be acceptable in Resident Evil either.

EDIT: But no, you're right, X-Files is a bad example. Okay, then, let's say, Independence Day.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:49 am
Read my above edit, please. But, as I was leading up to, since a lot of the show's subjects were about things that couldn't be understand with scientific knowledge or evidence, it would lead one to believe that the show was to deal with elements of both Science Fiction and Fantasy (Things not proven to be realistic), or the same thing as I myself would consider. But since that's not how the world views it, my argument is fallible except to myself.

By the way, that would be totally funny if in 5, we learn the origin of the progenitor virus is that it came from an alien meteorite. Unless, since I'm not well informed, the origin has already to been revealed that it definitely came from something earth based?  

King of Paradise

FemBot684

4,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:50 am
it's off topic, i'll just mention his atrocious decision to invest more in shovelware games for the "general public." basically giving the finger to hardcore gamers  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:50 am
Either way, it's crossed the rules that Capcom themselves already established. So screw "Resident Evil" and its cookie cutter future.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:51 pm
Thee Stranger
And it is a lot of the original team from the original RE working on it, so I think they deserve at least some trust at the helm. I mean, storyline-wise, at least RE5 is trying to bring it back on track.

Last time I checked, Resident Evil 4 was made by Capcom Production Studio 4, same as the original RE. So if they're making RE5, then I have even less faith (I didn't have any to begin with, to be honest).  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:32 pm
Canas Renvall
Thee Stranger
And it is a lot of the original team from the original RE working on it, so I think they deserve at least some trust at the helm. I mean, storyline-wise, at least RE5 is trying to bring it back on track.

Last time I checked, Resident Evil 4 was made by Capcom Production Studio 4, same as the original RE. So if they're making RE5, then I have even less faith (I didn't have any to begin with, to be honest).
Well, it's like saying, "Yes, majority of that person's flesh HAS been horribly burned in the fire, but we're TRYING to make him look as human as possible."
Doesn't mean they can succeed, after the damage has been done.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm
zeldagirl684
it's off topic, i'll just mention his atrocious decision to invest more in shovelware games for the "general public." basically giving the finger to hardcore gamers

Oh boy... Here goes *deep breath*:
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Fatal Frame IV
Deadly Creatures
No More Heroes
MadWorld
Spyborgs
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (only if you're going to have someone to play with. And absolutely do not accept anything in it as canon)
Dead Rising: Chop 'Til You Drop (unless you have the 360 version)
Wii Music (HAHA just kidding)
Megaman 9
Gyrostarr
The Conduit

Shall I continue?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games