Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Resident Evil, "Did You Know" 's? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:04 pm
Elliot Salem
Did you know, that a game called Sweet Home served as the inspiration for RE?

Yes. Did you know that a game called Alone in the Dark also served as the inspiration for RE?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 pm
Well, Alone in the Dark was the first Survival Horror game. And I mean utilizing fixed camera angles, tank controls, and all the things that made Survival Horror what it was.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:38 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, Alone in the Dark was the first Survival Horror game. And I mean utilizing fixed camera angles, tank controls, and all the things that made Survival Horror what it was.

Right. Well, Resident Evil was the first Survival Horror game... only because it was the first to be labeled as such.

But yeah, I hear ya. The first AitD even had a zombie popping out of a closet at you. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Splatterhouse was considered to be really the first survival horror game, or at least the stonework leading up to the first survival horror game (Even though other games before even Splatterhouse could've been labeled as such).  

King of Paradise

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:52 pm
Stranger to Paradise
Splatterhouse was considered to be really the first survival horror game, or at least the stonework leading up to the first survival horror game (Even though other games before even Splatterhouse could've been labeled as such).

I LOVE Splatterhouse! Did you hear they're remaking it? I wonder if Rick's girlfriend will still die at the end. That game scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid, and it was hard as hell. Then you go through all that crap to save your girlfriend, and then when you finally find her, she turns into a monster and you have to kill her. I only played the censored Turbografix one, though (with the purple mask).

Anyway, I wouldn't label Splatterhouse Survival Horror. It's an action side-scroller/beat-'em up horror game. Just because the game has horror, doesn't make it Survival Horror. I would be more willing to call such titles as D and Clock Tower 'Survival Horror' genre type games that pre-dated Resident Evil. Especially Clock Tower (Scissor Man, FTW). Of course... none of those pre-date AitD.

And, as I said... Survival Horror wasn't even a term until RE came along. Resident Evil coined the term "Survival Horror". It was the first to be labeled as such. Therefore, Resident Evil is the first Survival Horror game. If you wanna get all technical about this s**t.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:21 pm
That's a technicality though. AitD came first. And AitD is a survival horror game as evident by its gameplay.
I mean, just because RE4 is labeled Survival Horror, doesn't make it Survival Horror.
That what you call a Rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:22 pm
And the main point is, as Biohazard EXTREME already pointed out... ALL of the core elements of RE (right down to the very control scheme) were introduced by AitD before Resident Evil came along (4 years before, to be exact). Resident Evil plays nearly identically to Alone in the Dark. Let's compare the similarities between the first AitD and RE games here:

- Gives you the choice between a man or woman protagonist.
- Set in a mansion.
- Features loud thumps every time your character takes a step.
- Has zombies pop out of closets on unsuspecting players.
- Has puzzles featuring boxes, and puzzles featuring cranks.
- 3D characters against static backgrounds, and jarring camera angles to heighten tension.
- Tank control scheme.
- Document collecting.

The games are very similar, if not nearly identical. So if RE was labeled as the first Survival Horror game, there's definitely an argument to be made there that AitD was truly the first.

Other video games that predated RE with horror themes do not factor in here.

EDIT:
Biohazard EXTREME
That's a technicality though. AitD came first. And AitD is a survival horror game as evident by its gameplay.
I mean, just because RE4 is labeled Survival Horror, doesn't make it Survival Horror.
That what you call a Rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.

lol, in case you missed anything in this post, I agree with you. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:22 pm
Yeah, I wanna see what they do with the remake too. I actually like 3 the best, and it looks like it's going to be more like that, look and style wise, so all in all, can't wait!

I'm just saying that a game that's not labeled as such doesn't necessarily make it not true...Errm, in English, that means coined term or not, Splatterhouse (Or Alone in the Dark for that matter) can be deemed Survival Horror even if the term wasn't around then; Since the term's or concept's inauguration, you can go back to the past and say or claim which other games could've been survival horror before Resident Evil.

I still think Splatterhouse was more survival horror then action horror because of the fact that you had a very limited life meter (Instead of being able to walk off from a "measly" bullet hit, like Leon in RE4) and limited weaponry (Instead of an invisible uber storage suit case), though I see why it can be deemed action as well.  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:28 pm
Did you know that every wristwatch, in Remake is set to 10:10? Which makes me think that was the exact time they entered the Mansion.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:57 pm
Ten-Ten?

I gotta.  

Mr. Kennedy

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 pm
So, if they can't resist laughing.... Geez, Japanese television is freaky.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm
But oh so enjoyable. The long version of the video is stranger but ten ten is the only part that gets me.

Hmm, I've never had a "RE Did you know?" I'm not very observant I suppose.  

Mr. Kennedy

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 am
Mr. Kennedy
Ten-Ten?

I gotta.

I just showed Canas the Library challenge the other day. eek

Gaki no Tsukai is an awesome show!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 am
This one is odd and kinda pointless, but I've never said one surprised

In REmake the bottom of Rebecca's and Jill's shoes are the same, with a red line down the middle. I noticed Hunk's and Leon's have that same line in RE4. I can't remember if I made this up but it's the same with Chris. Or I made it up completely somehow.  

Mr. Kennedy

Belbecat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 am
Ahh the Library games and Japanese english learning game...joyful things  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items