Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Glamarama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 am
I dont see why just dying and there being nothing after that is such a scarey concept for a lot of people. I've told people my point of view on the matter and some of them seem genuinely shocked that I have no fear about there not being an after-life. The only thing that scares me about death is the pain before you die. I imagine dying would just be like going to sleep permenantly, without dreaming, of course. Sleep isnt scarey, so why would death be?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 pm
.: [ It's not death I fear, merely that which I cannot conceive: In this case, Nothingness. One cannot conceive what nothingness would be like for the simple of act of conception itself defies nothingness.

I don't want my consciousness to simply cease to exist, for it's something my mind cannot possibly grasp because the experience of nonexistence cancels to existence of my mind as well.

The only things that scare me are those in which I realize I will no longer be myself, but merely an unthinking memory.
] :.

Pheranya

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:47 pm
That depends on how you mean.

I do not fear dying all the time, only when it is appropriate. I will not fear for my life every time I am eating rice simply because it is possible to choke on a single grain of rice, but I will fear for my life if I'm being robbed, as the possibility of death is a real one in that situation.

Now, as to being afraid of dying because of what does or does not happen afterwards, I do very much so. I have come to terms with the improbability of there being an afterlife, but that does not mean I'm okay with it. I have done nothing but exist, so it is all that I know, so to simply think about how it would be like to not exist, lacking a better phrase, scares the s**t out of me. Do I hope that some kind of afterlife and/or reincarnation is true? Sure, reincarnation more so than an afterlife however.

Though, it doesn't really matter, as when it does happen (my death that is), whatever happens afterward, I'll most likely not be able to realize/remember this existence (unless in the case of an afterlife).  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm
We're not afraind of death because it's something natural and inevitable. What's the point of fearing something that is impossible to change? Besides, if you live your whole life fearing death, you're not doing a lot of living. And the religious people that only live a good life because of their obsession with the afterlife are missing out too, in our opinion. Life is worth living, one should never let a fear or obsession with death get in the way of it.  

Slimy Hats

Tchaik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 pm
I'm not unafraid of dying; it's a scary thought to know that my consciousness will cease one day, and I'll be nothing but a memory that will inevitably be forgotten. It's just foolish and wasteful to convince yourself you'll get another shot at life if you mess this one up. I'm just going to make sure my 100 years or so on the planet will be something that at least one person will remember.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 pm
I don't see any reason to be afraid of dying, As long as you don't die in pain or anything, But that's just cause I hate pain. Even if you don't want you conciousness to cease and to stop living, it won't matter because you'll be dead. You won't exist anymore so you can't be sad. ninja NINJA ninja  

Rogue_Rachiru

Dapper Guildswoman

6,400 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Lemur9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:16 pm
I don't know why, but I'm just not afraid of dying. I think about it, but I don't fear it. Honestly, I can't think of a really good reason to fear death. It's just the natural cycle of all things. When people say that they'd want to be immortal, I don't agree, because then you'd be all alone. Maybe people that fear death are really just afraid of being alone, so they have to believe in a Heaven of some sort to reassure themselves that they won't be. But living forever would make you alone too. So it's complicated.
Mostly I fear that I won't have a positive impact on the world before I die. So if I help at least one person in a way that improves their life, then there's no reason I should fear death.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:24 am
Ok I'm awnsering with a question if you don't mind...

Why is it if people are afriad of dying that they have to believe in a god? Why not just spin their own fantasies of life after death...thats how it appears most afterlifes started. Every religion has a diffrent veiw on a life after death. Theroeticly they all couldn't be right, but if we assume they are, whats a 900 or so thousand more veiws going change?  

Crooked_Lamb

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:30 am
I'm not afraid of Death itself because I've realized that it is a natural and neccesary part of life.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:48 pm
Why am I unafraid of death? Because it's inevitable, like taxes. No point in worrying about it.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:44 pm
I'd rather there be nothingness when I die. Death is a nice long rest where you don't worry about anything because there is nothing for you anymore. It would suck to be aware of the suffering of others after death.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 pm
Eh, how does the saying go - what will be, will be? Death isn't a big thing to get upset about, since it's something we all have to go through at one point or another.

That being said, I'm in no hurry to kick the bucket - too much crap I wanna get done while I'm still alive. Ideally, I'd die when I'm good and old and ready for it, mission accomplished and all that. That's actually my biggest fear; not of death itself, but leaving things unfinished.

I guess, as far as the afterlife thing goes, I tend side with what Socrates was supposed to have said 'ere he drank the hemlock - if death is sleep, it is like the most restful sleep you'd ever gotten; if there is an afterlife, then that's pretty sweet too. But I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed, so I'm not betting on the Heaven/Hell thing so much, especially all the major versions of salvation versus damnation. I loved reading Dante's Inferno, and the ranks of Heaven and Hell are interesting and all, but it's just really reflecting society's desire for some final justice - everyone in their place, punish the sinners, reward the obedient little religious folk. Or, that's my take on it, anyway. No one wants to hear that the rapists and murderers end up in the same boat as the saints.

I'm up in the air about ghosts and that sorta stuff, though. I don't think everyone turns into little floating orbs and all that, but I get the feeling mortals sometimes leave strong impressions behind. Whether these be echoes or the actual souls/consciousnesses of the deceased is up to debate, but I'm not gonna argue one way or the other. It's just interesting, gives you something to think about.

Complete oblivion kinda sucks in theory, though. I rather quite like existing.  

Alberic of Krufton

Nuclear Werewolf

Alphabet Whore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:36 pm
When I was younger, about 3 or 4, I used to wake up in the middle of night, sobbing hysterically, because I was afraid of dying in the night. It only lasted a few weeks, because every night, my mom would come in, calm me down, and repeat the line:"Your not going to die anytime soon, honey."

I value my life greatly. I've just recently broken off friendships with a few depressing people, who cut and walked down the middle of a friggin' highway. I believe life is meant for living, not brooding and half-hoping to die when times get tough.

Now, why I'm unafraid of dying... I guess, for me, I'm trying to live my life to the fullest. I'm doing all the things I want to do, things that will make me happy. Sitting in class all day bugs me so much, because there are so many other things I could be doing, appreciating. I know that when my time comes, I'll accept it. But what's the point in dying if you haven't lived?

Sorry if I didn't make much sense.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:48 am
I find the idea of fertilizing the earth to help with new life a lot more palatable than being reincarnated or going to heaven where I'm supposed to worship some god for all eternity. I think I'd be more afraid of dying if I were religious.  

Dronning Dagmar

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 pm
I wouldn't mind having an afterlife if it were like one of those movies where you can pretty much control everything about your environment. XD

I don't understand why people are so afraid of not existing. You won't exist, so how is it going to bother you that you don't exist? See what I'm saying? Probably not. XD Anyway, I can't see much of a point in worrying about what happens when I die, since it's impossible to know for sure without dying. Besides, I'd be more afraid of living forever than I am of dying someday.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff