Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil 5 Discussion:: The Infection Spreads Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:45 am
If he had put ghosts in the original Resident Evil, it pretty much would have been an exact frikkin' clone of Alone in the Dark. And I still find it pretty disgusting that he has never to this day credited AitD as the inspiration for RE. I mean, it's blatantly obvious! Sweet Home, my a**!

And yes, quite ironic. He's effectively snuffed that die-hard fanbase out in favor of a more mainstream audience with RE4.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 am
@ Thee Stranger : the demo was okay when you've never played any of the series and you're thinking "wow this is cool! shooting creepy people!" but also, whether you have played the series or not, the demo gives NO hint of being a survival horror. it looks like an action game, it plays like an action game. i was disappointed when i found that nothing really scared me. crying oh the hoomanitee!

Edit: ~goes back to playing the F.E.A.R. 2 demo~ ninja  

FemBot684

4,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm
Yeah, I know. But Capcom has said that the first half of the game will be much more action-oriented, like RE4, while the second half of the game will be scarier, more puzzle-based, and less linear than RE4 with some more traditional locales. Here's hoping. cheese_whine

I actually downloaded the demo and played it today... I have to say, I wasn't very impressed. I mean, I knew going into it that it was gonna play like RE4, but seriously. The enemies have the exact same animations that the Ganados had in RE4 when you shot them. It wasn't like that when we went from RE to RE2. The zombies had completely new animations. C'mon now. You guys have been working on this game for how long? Five years now? And you'd think they'd add the ability to move while aiming and shooting. It's kind of awkward that the left analog just sticks when you aim, and you have to switch over to the right analog to control your aim. It just feels like something's missing there. In RE4, the left analog controlled your aim. I don't see the point in switching it over to the right analog if you can't move while aiming.

And another thing that kind of bothered me... I have no problems with the F-word, and you'll often see it in my posts and everyday conversation. But I really don't like how they're just kind of pointlessly adding it into games now. Shock value? I don't know. I'm just not used to F-bombs in my RE games. It seems like every game I play nowadays has the F-word in there. Hell, even MGS4 had one.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:27 pm
Well, about the F-Word and about the aiming with the right analog stick, it's like I said, "Everyone's doing it! We must do it too!"  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:23 am
Well, right. But if they are going to do that, they should go all the way. There's no point in emulating the Gears of War-style controls if they're going to leave out the most practical use of those controls, which in Gears of War's case is being able to move, aim, and shoot simultaneously. That was the whole reason why the aiming was assigned to the right analog in the first place. If you can't move and shoot in RE5, why not just keep the aiming assigned to the left analog like in RE4? The way the have it set up right now is not only confusing, but pointless.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 am
You know, I WISH RE5 was more like Gears of War. That way, it'd be criticized for lack of originality. Which, don't get me wrong, it doesn't have a lot of to begin with, but unless it's bluntly obvious, general public won't notice.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 am
Well, Gears of War was heavily influenced by RE4. The development team themselves named it as the primary influence, and expressed their love for the game. So it took RE4's template and built upon it, and numerous other games have followed suit, building upon the idea. I think Dead Space ultimately perfected it, showing that you could make Survival Horror game with RE4's formula. So the genre that RE4 has basically created (Third-Person Action Shooter) has been improved and built upon, and now RE is mirroring the tweaks that these games have made to it's template, while leaving very important enhancements out. Interestingly enough, most of the general public is criticizing RE5 for the very same thing I am. New-gen gamers and XBOX fanboys, some who are completely unfamiliar with the series, are complaining and claiming that they have canceled their preorders. They would be more happy if it was more like Gears of War or Dead Space, so that should put a smile on your face, Bio.

My impressions from the demo is that RE5 hasn't really updated anything from RE4. Aside from the inventory system that they ripped from Gears, it looks to be the same exact game with a fresh lick of paint. You could argue the same thing about the classic RE's, but almost all of them had a completely new engine which gave them all a unique feel (the exception being RE0), and each one of them had updated control mechanics and new features that kept them from feeling stale. The RE5 demo, however, felt stale right out of the box to me, and the awkward controls actually felt like a step back from RE4.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 pm
Good. I hope it tanks.

EDIT: So, Capcom wants this game to sell over 3 million copies before the end of March. Guys, if you're actually gonna waste your hard earned money on this game, please wait a few weeks and don't give Capcom their goal.  

Biohazard EXTREME

I sheva I

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:05 pm
i hope wesker gets whats comming to him for what he as done i personally dont think wesker will die xp but i hope he gets hurt in some way like his PRIDE!!! blaugh by the way if you have played the demo tell me what you think and what do you think realy happned to jill do you think she is realy dead? hope not gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:10 pm
I dared to play the demo. I wanted to be able to squeeze every single droplet of flaw from it.

Initial control scheme is annoying
Initial aiming speed is slow
Axe Man guy froze for no reason, basically I instant-won on him.
Sheva's a ******** moron.
Tried to go online. Got a disc read error. ...On a downloaded demo.

I could go on, but I have to get dressed for the school dance tonight (Sadie's/Girl's Choice/girl asks the boy and pays, etc.).

Do not buy the game, pass go, save $60.  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm
Canas Renvall
I dared to play the demo. I wanted to be able to squeeze every single droplet of flaw from it.

Initial control scheme is annoying
Initial aiming speed is slow
Axe Man guy froze for no reason, basically I instant-won on him.
Sheva's a ******** moron.
Tried to go online. Got a disc read error. ...On a downloaded demo.

I could go on, but I have to get dressed for the school dance tonight (Sadie's/Girl's Choice/girl asks the boy and pays, etc.).

Do not buy the game, pass go, save $60.
For someone who despises the new route on the game. Tell me, what were you hoping to gain other than what you already know?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:40 pm
Hoping against hope? Or digging up dirt?  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm
I can has confession? I didn't play the demo. I went by word of mouth. *Dobby's self for lying*

But today, I did play the demo. For real. Tried to be as unbiased as possible to actually point out flaws. Just told Notte... to be unbiased, with every con came a pro. Here's the list, pros first.

Pros:
- No more attache case. Not only is it like old-school RE's, but it's real-time. Stay on your toes.
- So far, no people-sized parasites in the majinis. So far.
- The game runs smooth as silk most of the time, and looks very nice.
- The chainsaw majini is serious stuff. He won't ******** die. To keep tension high, you fight him in a relatively small area, giving you little time to reload.
- Sheva's voice isn't all that bad. Not saying she's great, but her voice is good.
- Same goes for Chris. He's not uber-macho sounding.
- Capcom actually decided to pay royalties and man up. Chris doesn't use a Handgun; he uses an M92F.
- Was wrong about Sheva. D: She's more useful than I would've thought.
- Healing items are in short supply. And most of the demo I had just enough ammo to get me by, if that. I actually had to use the knife/machete/whatever it is.
- The music. I can't believe it, but fighting the Executioner... the music reminded me of Silent Hill.
- When your health is gone, you'd best hope Sheva's nearby. You'll stumble around in a hazy, blood-red state of Dying. If she's not there to recessitate you in time, you're done for. Same goes for you helping her.
- Lots of new animations
- Grenades, while present, are in very short supply. I got two hand grenades and one incendiary throughout both levels of the demo.
- African is much lesser-known than Spanish. Unlike RE4, I don't know what the majini will do/are doing.
- Unlike Chris, Sheva looks like a normal human being. No steroids involved. Still will never be as good as Jill though.
- Like RE4, the mechanics work for what RE5 is supposed to deliver: an action, not horror, experience.
- If you go into the sunlight, looking into shadows is nearly impossible. Makes you wonder if something's there or not.
- The camera is frantic, which is nice for an action game. Always moving with motions.
- No run-and-gun. At least not on Control Type A (the one I used).
- Unlike the majini, the executioner doesn't wait for you to shoot him while he lollygags towards you. No. His bigass axe is swinging all over the ********' place. Get out of the way.

Now, the cons:
- Control Type D feels weird. Stick to A.
- Someone had the bright idea of switching the fire/reload and run buttons. Way to screw people up.
- Wesker looks and sounds like fail incarnate (not from demo).
- Why must every M-rated game drop the F-bomb now? Is it really necessary?
- I said mostly, the game runs smooth. Once, though, the framerate plummeted for a few seconds.
- Sheva has the uncanny ability to leap rather... far. She looks human; she doesn't act like it.
- You thought pesetas were bad? They use actual gold now. Good luck carrying those gold bars, Chris.
- Flying parasites. No. Just no.
- Tricell is a failed attempt at neo-Umbrella (not from demo).
- During most melee animations or the recessitation animation, you're invincible. Takes away from the realism of getting smacked around a bit.
- While there are many new animations, there are just as many (probably more) reused animations.
- Grenades may be few and far between, but they're there.
- Just a demo, so I'm a little iffy on this one, but so far not one single puzzle.
- Chris needs to tone down on the 'roid rage.
- Chris's REmake voice actor wasted his talent on the menu voice. (While he did it in REmake, RE0, GC RE2, GC RE3, GC RE: CVX I think, he also did it for RE4 and RE5).
- The gameplay mechanics. They work for an action game. I wanted horror.
- Chris's head/arms take up, like, a quarter of your sight when aiming. Big arms aren't necessary...
- Majini are just like ganados. Run run run HAAAALT. La-la-la*shot*
- With one of the control types, you can strafe.
- One of the control types has L1/LB aiming, R2/RB shooting. Way to try being MGS4.

Finally, I'm on the fence with these ones. It could be taken either way, depending on who you are.

Pros/Cons:
- When you/Sheva heals, if both of you are near each other, the herb heals both of you. I think it's the normal amount of the herb and not half. I dunno. But remember, there are very limited healing items.
- Chris has more melee attacks, none of which are overly flashy (like a certain someone's suplex has been replaced with an uppercut). One is stomping people SH-style.
- The buddy system is like RE0's but without actually switching between people.
- Along with RE0's buddy system, there was some Outbreak sprinkled in. If you or Sheva is in the Dying state, like crawling in Outbreak, the other would have to come help. Also, Sheva won't always listen to your commands. "Come on!" "Forget it!"
- You can switch the map on and off. It's a real-time map in the upper right-hand corner. While it's nice not switching to it every three seconds, it's also more like an HUD. We don't want an HUD.

That's all single-player. I haven't attempted online yet. Purely gameplay-wise, it's similar to RE4 with lots of changes. Like RE4, it's a good action game but it rubs RE's d**k in the dirt. Once the story is revealed, however... *face darkens*  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:01 pm
Umm... The RE2 GC announcer voice is the same as the PS1 announcer voice. The RE3 one is the only one they changed. (And maybe CVX, but I haven't played the GC version of that), but the RE2 "Resident. Evil. Twooo...." calling is the same for PS1 and NGC.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Umm... The RE2 GC announcer voice is the same as the PS1 announcer voice. The RE3 one is the only one they changed. (And maybe CVX, but I haven't played the GC version of that), but the RE2 "Resident. Evil. Twooo...." calling is the same for PS1 and NGC.

Nothing beats the menu voice of the original PS1 RE. "RESIDENT EEVIL!"

Now that guy meant it.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games