Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:13 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
eek A bloody page stretch?
*Goes to delete post*

We're ratting out users now? SWEET! twisted

*considers ratting out another ICU Gaian who started a new thread*
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks niph =)

Syeori

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
I think she is still on maple story. sweatdrop

HOMG, Maple Story eek ... that game must be addictive as hell.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:23 am

Minielf
Darkaznstargoddess
I think she is still on maple story. sweatdrop

HOMG, Maple Story eek ... that game must be addictive as hell.

Maple story
GUNBOUND ALL THE WAY.

Flammable Bait

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:49 am

cool
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:30 pm

i don't understand how you people can be addicted to a game. i mean, it's just a game after all

yalie5

Darkaznstargoddess
Captain

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:12 pm

Charles~ Rat!! twisted
The dark forces call for it. ;D

Yalie~ We'll we could go with Jung's explanation.
They're like archetypes that are located in our collective unconscious and appear as dreams or as our fantasies.
They influence our thoughts and feelings and personalities.
They give us a sense of direction and a feeling of being complete.

We just have emotional reactions to them (Such as crying at certain movies, or watching star wars at least 3 more times in theater, or playing final fantasy)

Hm.. *wonders if there are any Jung followers here*
xD Feel free to correct me.
*Barely recalls the topic at the moment*
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

They're like archetypes that are located in our collective unconscious and appear as dreams or as our fantasies.

We just have emotional reactions to them (Such as crying at certain movies, or watching star wars at least 3 more times in theater, or playing final fantasy)

wow... really? I never really could get into a game that way... who's jung?

yalie5

Darkaznstargoddess
Captain

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 pm

yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

Full name: Carl Jung.
xD He's a neo-Freudian psychologist. 3nodding
He's famous for his theory about personality. 3nodding
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

really? that's intresting. i've always wantd to study psychology. but not enough space to fit it in.lol

yalie5

Darkaznstargoddess
Captain

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 pm

yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

really? that's intresting. i've always wantd to study psychology. but not enough space to fit it in.lol

Aww..
It's a very fun class. Especially if your teacher is dedicated into the subject and enjoys teaching it. 3nodding
AP psychology is more brief and fast pace but if you really want to get indepth, you could take normal psychology since they spend at least a week or two on a unit.
In ap psychology we have at least a quiz once a week, then every three weeks an exam. The class is more towards preparing you for college and the ap exam.
Freud's theory of personality is more interesting, alot of it is around sex. (Freud is pretty much the founder of the study)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

That's a tad too scientific an explanation DASG, but you explain the right idea. Heck, I kinda feel sort of sorry for the millions upon millions of poor souls addicted to Evercrack, WOW, Runescape, and Maple Story every single day of their lives. I'm actually lucky I have a comp's that's too shitty to even play one of those games and not enough money to afford the stupendous monthly costs. Otherwise, I'd become addicted as well.

Minielf

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:40 pm

Ugh... Freud... and even worse his followers...

Stop 100 people on the street and ask them to name a psychologist, either living or dead. They'd most certainly name "media psychologists" like Dr. Phil or Wayne Dyer. Take those out and then comes the "stereotyped psychologists" of Sigmund Freud and B.F. Skinner.

And that's the problem... the notoriety of Freud has greatly affected the general public conceptions about the field of psychology and has contributed to many misunderstandings about it.

Modern psychology is not obsessed with the ideas of Sigmund Freud, almost all university professors will denounce his work as unscientific bunk. I say that without hesitation because his work relied on a database of case studies and introspection that really isn't anything more than his own theories. He could never test them... he simply made up reasons for everything that could possibly happen. There was no replications either.

Argh... that's not science... where's the testing, the controls? But sadly that's what alot of people think about when they think of psychology.

Freud and his followers of psychoanalysis are simply 1 out of 55 formal divisions of the science of psychology as defined by the American Psychological Association aka. APA. (Reference: http://www.apa.org/about/division.html)

I hate to say it but pretty much anything based on Freud, Jung or whom-have-you is just well... nothing more than an art.

Freud - Critical Reactions Excerpt - Wikipedia

Freud's model of psychosexual development has been criticized from different perspectives. Some have attacked Freud's claim that infants are sexual beings (and, implicitly, Freud's expanded notion of sexuality). Others have accepted Freud's expanded notion of sexuality, but have argued that this pattern of development is not universal, nor necessary for the development of a healthy adult. Instead, they have emphasized the social and environmental sources of patterns of development. Moreover, they call attention to social dynamics Freud de-emphasized or ignored (such as class relations). This branch of Freudian critique owes a great deal to the work of Herbert Marcuse.

Some criticize Freud's rejection of positivism. The philosopher of science Karl Popper formulated a method to distinguish science from non-science, or "pseudoscience". For Popper, all proper scientific theories are potentially falsifiable. If a theory is incapable of being falsified, then it cannot be considered scientific. Popper pointed out that Freud's theories of psychology can always be "verified", since no type of behaviour could ever falsify them. Although Popper's demarcation between science and non-science is widely accepted among scientists, it remains a controversial one itself within philosophy of science and philosophy in general. In academic psychology, a distinction is generally made between theories (which are considered too abstract to be falsifiable) and specific hypotheses (which derive from a theory and may be tested by research).

Behaviourism, evolutionary psychology, and cognitive psychology reject psychoanalysis as a pseudoscience. Humanistic psychology maintains that psychoanalysis is a demeaning and incorrect view of human beings. The other schools of psychology have produced alternative methods of psychotherapy, including behavior therapy, cognitive therapy, and person centred psychotherapy.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud )

While there's no direct critical reaction to Jung on Wikipedia, the fact that he stems from Freud's work is criticism enough... but I've merely presented one side of the argument. I'll leave it to you guys to decide for yourselves as to what you think.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

Aww..
It's a very fun class. Especially if your teacher is dedicated into the subject and enjoys teaching it. 3nodding
AP psychology is more brief and fast pace but if you really want to get indepth, you could take normal psychology since they spend at least a week or two on a unit.
In ap psychology we have at least a quiz once a week, then every three weeks an exam. The class is more towards preparing you for college and the ap exam.
Freud's theory of personality is more interesting, alot of it is around sex. (Freud is pretty much the founder of the study)

Those ap exams are going to be killer. i took a practice one in english and i think there was a part of my brain that exploded lol. my friend took psychology and she said that the teacher sucked because he was so boring. i'd prolly like psychology whether or not the teacher's boring. (since the beginning of the school year i've taken to sleeping in class lol)

yalie5

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:49 pm

yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
yalie5
Darkaznstargoddess
Charles~ Rat!! twisted

Aww..

Those ap exams are going to be killer. i took a practice one in english and i think there was a part of my brain that exploded lol. my friend took psychology and she said that the teacher sucked because he was so boring. i'd prolly like psychology whether or not the teacher's boring. (since the beginning of the school year i've taken to sleeping in class lol)

Well... sometimes you can't always blame the teacher. More often than not, it's just the student. lol

Not everyone is meant to be a leader... some of us... well... just need to remember what today's McDeal happens to be. twisted rofl
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games