Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil 5 Discussion:: The Infection Spreads Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 am
CONTAINED POST - MM-212 Beta  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 am
Biohazard EXTREME
It's just too bad that so many people who once agreed with me about how little integrity RE has anymore, and how much of a cookie cutter game it's become, are once again giving into the hype and going all, "I'm so excited for RE5!"
Well, there's a wakeup call coming on the 13th. Resident Evil as we've come to love it, is dead.

I know. I'm still not giving into the hype. No way in hell will I spend $50 or $60 for this piece of crap. What bugs me the most are the people who say, "This game is gonna be so disappointing. I hate the way this is going...but I'm still forking over the money for it!" 0_o  

Vankala

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 am
I'm one of the few who never has never given in to disappointment for the game. I may have poked jokes about things I didn't like hearing, but not once have I ever lost interest or got disheartened about this game. I will gladly fork over the money for this craptacular iteration! Have I've ever been riding the hype? I don't know...I don't think I've ever said this is going to be the best game ever...Then again, I have a bad memory, but being besides the point, I will respect this game as much as I do 2,3,CV, and 4...And if am disappointed by what 5 had to offer, I totally deserve a thousand "I told you so"s.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 pm
Vankala
I know. I'm still not giving into the hype. No way in hell will I spend $50 or $60 for this piece of crap. What bugs me the most are the people who say, "This game is gonna be so disappointing. I hate the way this is going...but I'm still forking over the money for it!" 0_o

*cough* Canas *cough*
Sorry, I seem to have caught a bug... Or should I say parasite?  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm
CONTAINED POST - MM-212 Beta  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:02 pm
Or maybe she looks so angry because she's just another poor victim who fell to Capcom's terrible custom to ruin characters that actually used to be cool at one point.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 pm
Please keep spoilers to yourself or put them in white. Don't ruin it for everyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:59 am
gonk At least you guys aren't being dragged to the midnight release... *weeps*  

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 am
I refuse to show my face to those despicable RE noobs. Thats my reason for not going/

Here's the convo wll take place:

Noob 1: Oh man, this game is going to be killer.
Noob 2: Totally dude, I heard this is the best one out of the series.
Noob 1: Without a doubt, RE4 was friggin good and scary as hell.
RE Fan: You two can go blow each other....Petty noobs.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:22 am
Call me what you will, after all I am new to the forum, but I am excited for RE5.

I preordered the red xbox 360, so I'll finally be able to jump back into gaming (Its been a long time! Had to sell my N64 and PS2 for college money!)

Anyhow, as a in-packaged game, it looks pretty bad a**, and I had fun with the demos. Not to mention once I give this a go, I'll be able to borrow out my 360 with my friends who don't have one, and give me a chance to try their RE games on their systems (mind that they have quite a bit). All in all, its a win-win.

Now, I don't have the ability too gripe like some others may because I haven't gotten around to the other games yet (Only a bit of RE4, which to my understanding wasn't the best turn out for many). Maybe I'll see if there are any Emulators for the older games I can download. smile  

BurningTheory

2,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:17 am
Alkaizer87
Edit: I think you're confused the only american like element was the fact that they have characters and and it took place in USA. By the way antoher reason why they have Jill blonde is because they couldn't think of antoher way to but an alternate new character in tere that is blonde. Remember in every game they have to have a blonde.

And what was so Japanese about it then? Explain it to me. And there's plenty of blonde-haired people in all sorts of anime, so I don't see why they would make Jill blonde just to appeal to American gamers. I doubt the majority of us care either way, and they are selling this game in Japan and many other countries as well. It's just like Leon. Even some of the renders for Leon in RE2 he's blonde, and then more brown in others.

Biohazard EXTREME
Yes, I know what you mean. What I'm saying is that certain japanese influences are only appreciated by like... people in touch with Japanese culture, or who play more Japan oriented games on a regular basis. Like, the typical mainstream gamer of North America might not know the significance of the Masamune blade, or the idea behind protection charms and such, or even that Biohazard is the true title for Resident Evil in Japan.

Umm... I don't recall any Masamune blades or protection charms in any of the Resident Evil games. I think it's kind of funny that it's called Resident Evil here. Because that title makes perfect sense in conext to the very first game, but really none of the others.

Biohazard EXTREME
What Capcom started putting into RE is the kind of stuff that people generally know about. Which, I'm not sure how to list, but basically, it's like the Matrix sequels. They didn't feel JAPANESE, but they definitely felt Anime-ish. That's exactly the case with RE now, only worse. Which makes it still relevant to the mainstream American gamer, but too over the top for a hardcore Western horror fan to appreciate. Speaking from personal experience, of course.

Well, I was under the impression that American demographic are generally familiar with zombies... and the core gameplay was founded in America as well, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I will have to concede that the entire series had some minor anime-type influences from the beginning, such as some of the creature designs. Code Veronica and RE0, in particular, stick out in my mind as very Anime-ish in style (and, that's when we started getting all the retconning and dumb plot twists). And that's why I'm not sure of what your definition of over-the-top is. Look at Wesker and Alexia in Code Veronica, and the leech monsters in RE0. That's about as over the top as it gets. And another thing I'd like to point out is, Resident Evil has always been a mainstream game series.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, it's not as if I ceased to be a member of the guild. I've taken longer hiatuses before.
And frankly, I didn't expect to be so soon. It's just, after Thee Stranger's little report, I couldn't help but writhe in joy that this game is starting to disappoint people.

You take pleasure in my pain! gonk Other than that, now everybody can thank me for bringing Bio back. mrgreen

Vankala
Biohazard EXTREME
It's just too bad that so many people who once agreed with me about how little integrity RE has anymore, and how much of a cookie cutter game it's become, are once again giving into the hype and going all, "I'm so excited for RE5!"
Well, there's a wakeup call coming on the 13th. Resident Evil as we've come to love it, is dead.

As far as this whole hype thing goes, let me make something perfectly clear. I've been excited for RE5 ever since it was first announced. I did not buy into any hype. The reason I pre-ordered RE5 had nothing to do with that at all. I was excited for this game simply for the fact that it had the Resident Evil name, old characters returning, and a storyline that is to deal with the origins of the Progenitor Virus. These are the things that sold me on the game, not the advertising campaign.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:42 am
MM-212 Beta
I refuse to show my face to those despicable RE noon. Thats my reason for not going/

Here's the convo wll take place:

Noob 1: Oh man, this game is going to be killer.
Noob 2: Totally dude, I heard this is the best one out of the series.
Noob 1: Without a doubt, RE4 was friggin good and scary as hell.
RE Fan: You two can go blow each other....Petty noobs.

Why would a RE fan be there in the first place? Telling nOObs to go blow each other for kicks? Ha ha, that sounds kind of fun. twisted

@Thee Stranger: Thank you! For your last paragraph! After playing 2-4, I was very excited from the very beginning to hear of another installment. Then again, I won't lie: I was excited just because I had fun time playing through 4 with it's new game play. And since 5's game play will basically emulate it (Well, with some minor/major changes...), I was very excited to hear of a new installment, regardless of what the story may be.  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 pm
Thee Stranger
And what was so Japanese about it then? Explain it to me. And there's plenty of blonde-haired people in all sorts of anime, so I don't see why they would make Jill blonde just to appeal to American gamers. I doubt the majority of us care either way, and they are selling this game in Japan and many other countries as well. It's just like Leon. Even some of the renders for Leon in RE2 he's blonde, and then more brown in others.

Well, hey, I'm not the one who used the term, "Dying the game blonde" to describe Americanizing it. It was Jun Takeuchi himself, so ask him.

Thee Stranger
Umm... I don't recall any Masamune blades or protection charms in any of the Resident Evil games. I think it's kind of funny that it's called Resident Evil here. Because that title makes perfect sense in conext to the very first game, but really none of the others.

That's my point exactly. It's not quite anime, it's like anime lite. There's Japanese influence, but only enough so that the American mainstream audience isn't detached from it. As opposed to games like Siren or Fatal Frame. And that's the thing, because they're catering to mainstream american audiences, their target audience won't pick up some of the things that are so obviously Japanese, because they're not that familiar with the culture. Like, look at Majini, the key word there is Majin, which roughly means demon in Japanese. Someone whose entire gaming history includes games like GTA, Halo, Call of Duty, probably won't pick up on something like that.

Thee Stranger
Well, I was under the impression that American demographic are generally familiar with zombies... and the core gameplay was founded in America as well, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I will have to concede that the entire series had some minor anime-type influences from the beginning, such as some of the creature designs. Code Veronica and RE0, in particular, stick out in my mind as very Anime-ish in style (and, that's when we started getting all the retconning and dumb plot twists). And that's why I'm not sure of what your definition of over-the-top is. Look at Wesker and Alexia in Code Veronica, and the leech monsters in RE0. That's about as over the top as it gets. And another thing I'd like to point out is, Resident Evil has always been a mainstream game series.

Well, that's the problem, see? You're saying, " series had some minor anime-type influences from the beginning, such as some of the creature designs. Code Veronica and RE0, in particular".
I don't see RE0 and Code Veronica as being the beginning of the series. In fact, it's too bad I was blind with fanboyishness (For a long, long time. Yes, I admit it) to notice, because Code Veronica is where the series started to skew toward that over the top melodrama. I let it go, I let it go, I let it go.
Thankfully, Umbrella Chronicles decided to do the most horrible job to retcon the series, and it was like a wall breaking for me, at which point I said, "Wait, wait, wait... THAT'S what they want the series to be? Oh, hell no!"
And that's when I decided to give up on her.

At this point, RE0 and Code Veronica don't matter. Recently, I replayed through the Remake and RE3. Where I killed off Chris and Barry, and went for the A ending in RE3, where Nicholai gets killed by the Nemesis, and Barry never shows up. In that particular instance, that was the entire canon, provided I ignore Jill's Diary.
You know what that is? That's what Video Games USED to be about. It's the freedom to mold the story the way YOU want it. There was a lot of it in RE1 and RE2, and quite a bit of it in RE3.
Next time I replay the series, I might let Jill and Rebecca die as Chris, play RE2 and Code Veronica thereafter, and THAT's my canon in that particular instance.
Freedom, man.

My point is, yes, I realize that Code Veronica and RE0 are what started RE's downfall. And I keep them at arm's length. At this point RE1/Remake, RE2 and RE3 are the only sacred Resident Evil games, to me.

Thee Stranger
As far as this whole hype thing goes, let me make something perfectly clear. I've been excited for RE5 ever since it was first announced. I did not buy into any hype. The reason I pre-ordered RE5 had nothing to do with that at all. I was excited for this game simply for the fact that it had the Resident Evil name, old characters returning, and a storyline that is to deal with the origins of the Progenitor Virus. These are the things that sold me on the game, not the advertising campaign.

No, but as far as I recall, you've been saying you were excited for RE5 from the beginning. It's consistent, so yeah, I believe you're not giving into the hype.
But there were people, who along with me said, "******** this game", maybe not in those words, but I remember them saying to other people, "Don't buy this game" and now they're pre-ordering collector's edition. THAT'S giving in to the hype at its worst.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm
like stranger, i was hyped since they announced the game.

then i met bio....

lol bio made me rethink my hype but i learned not to let him sway my opinion. i think you just have an uncanny ability to persuade bio, and during your brief absence your grip on our minds loosened and we were free to love and share and make world peace! 4laugh oh yes and love RE again!

Regardless of the outcome, i will be happy to see some of my fav RE characters again! 3nodding  

FemBot684

4,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:58 pm
Even if their personalities are completely butchered?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games