Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil 5 Discussion:: The Infection Spreads Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, that's what I don't get dude. You don't care about the awful plot twists. You don't care about the way the game mechanics are.... Why ARE you playing this game? What is it about this game that even makes you wanna play it at all?

Well dude, I liked RE4. As an action game, it was a very fun game. It's certainly not my favorite, and I hated the story, but I certainly didn't find it to be a terrible experience. Do I think they should have just taken the RE characters out and given it a completely different title, and made it so it had nothing to do with the Resident Evil series, and give us another traditional Resident Evil game instead? Of course. But, they didn't. And since I don't hate RE4's gameplay, and since the story this time around is actually going to have something to do with the rest of the series, that's why I'll be playing the game.

And the Resident Evil series has been full of dumb, awful plot twists since Code Veronica, and I don't hate Code Veronica. I thought that pretty much everything that happened in RE0 was awful and dumb too, but I don't hate RE0 either. Actually, they're both pretty damn good games. And while there were stupid, contrived plot twists, they were still Resident Evil. It still had the same themes that RE4 was severely lacking. RE5 is bringing some of that back into the picture, as it looks into the Umbrella/Progenitor Virus story arc, and brings it to a close. That said, I am not a fan of this duck & cover Gears of War wannabe s**t that's gonna be in the game. I was hoping that they would deliver more of the horror that RE4 was lacking.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that I'm not as much of a purist as you are. The series has been full of dumb twists and plot holes since RE3, which has prompted me to choose my own canon to make sense of it all in my own mind. I have learned to accept this. It's just the way it is.

MGS is full of stupid plot twists too, and I love MGS. If I was a true purist, I would've dropped the series right after MGS2. I could not stand MGS2's storyline, and I still can't. I didn't like the whole patriots/sentient computer beings thing, I couldn't stand the Liquid's Arm thing, or Fat Man on roller blades, or Vamp or Fortune, or really any of the bosses, Raiden's a douche, etc. There was also a huge plot hole at the end of the game that was never explained, and the only way you can find the answer is watch the Document of MGS2, which is a totally separate thing (and is hard as hell to find now, not to mention expensive). I should not have to look to other sources just to have a game's story be comprehensible, just like any movie I would watch. But I still played the hell out of MGS2 because it was such a fun game. And I eventually came to accept the storyline that MGS2 established, and that both MGS3 and MGS4 built upon and further explained (so that it made some semblance of sense), and brought to a close. And there are still dumb plot twists that I don't like in both of those games *cough*Big Boss at the end*cough*, but they're still good games.

And speaking of MGS4, do you not see where it borrows heavily from RE4? If you don't, you're in denial. Drebin may as well be standing at every street corner going, "Welcome, stranga!" And MGS4 is your favorite, dude.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm
No. No. There's a difference between a stupid plot, like, say, certaing things about Code Veronica. And RE5, where the plot has totally been butchered and destroyed. It honestly feels like the guy who wrote it, played maybe half the RE games, once, many years ago. It totally lost the scope of where the series was going. It didn't even go where RE4 was going. And if you ask me, I'll take RE4 over RE5, with open arms.

As for Drebin, at least he played a part in the storyline. Besides, MGS always had a sense of humor, so little breaks from the intense action are always cool in MGS.
In a 'Horror' game, some random Cockney in Spain, selling you weapons... Not only does it break away from the horror aspect of it, but his presence isn't even explained. It's like they just tossed him in there at the last second.

But honestly, I liked the events of MGS2. I didn't particularly like the main character, but I actually liked the events. And that's the thing. If I didn't, if I truly hated how MGS2 turned out story wise, then yes, I would've probably dumped that series right there and then. Why you didn't, is beyond me. Yes, I've talked to many people who, as far as they're concerned, MGS1 is where the canon ends for them. They hated MGS2, and MGS3, and they abandoned the series. And I respect that. It beats the hell out of clinging to something you've lost all respect for.

Oh, and please white out that *cough* spoiler, certain people in this guild still haven't beaten the MGS games, and they don't want them to be spoiled.

EDIT: If you can let go of the pile of crap storyline that's been fed to you in RE5. I honestly don't understand why you're so against the RE movies. And if you say that RE movies are worse than RE5's plot, then, with all due respect, that's just bullshit.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 pm
So I'm taking it that you've already watched all the cutscenes for RE5 on Youtube? I, myself, can't really speak on the story yet. I only know certain things, and am waiting to play the game to watch the cutscenes.

That's not the point. The point is, Drebin in MGS4 is the equivalent to the merchant in RE4. You purchase weapons from him, and you can upgrade them by customization. The point is, the whole mechanic was pretty much ripped from RE4. You can thank RE4 for that whole thing. That's not to mention the over-the-shoulder camera angle when you aim your weapon. Also straight out of RE4.

Umm... where did I say I lost respect for MGS? Never said that. I said I liked the game. I liked the gameplay, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. That is what a game is supposed to be about. If you can get both, that's awesome, but it rarely works out that way. There are also games that don't have particularly great gameplay, but the story is enough to keep you going. Yes, I hated MGS2's story, but it's gameplay saved it, and its sequels helped to save its horrid, convoluted, plot hole-ridden storyline. If people dropped it at MGS1, I can respect their stance on it, but they can also respect mine. MGS1 is still my favorite; RE1 is still my favorite. That doesn't mean I can't like the rest of the games, even if their storylines are inherently inferior. The rest of the games serve as decent afterthoughts, and I like the gameplay, characters, and some of the story elements enough to warrant playing the sequels. And in Resident Evil's case, it never had a spectacular storyline to begin with. I've always liked the story, but it's nothing award winning.

Seriously? I doubt anyone here cares, and if they do, they probably know already. But as you wish.

EDIT: Because videogames can get away with things that movies can't. If the MGS series was just the cutscenes, then yes, I would have tuned out right when "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo" was uttered and Liquid's Arm showed up on the tanker. But there are certain things that I can forgive in videogames that I cannot with movies. Gameplay is the major factor here, and the immersive interactivity that you have with the storyline in games that you don't have in film. Film is all about story telling. That's not the case with video games. Furthermore, I honestly don't understand why you're so against what the games are doing when you have super-powered clones, laser corridors, over the top Devil May Cry-style action scenes, and matrix-style backflips in all of those movies. And would you call the RE movies horror movies? I sure wouldn't. I don't like the movies for a lot of reasons; starting with the fact that the storyline is nothing like the game's. If you're going to make an RE movie based off the games, then... why don't you make them like the games? Why don't you adapt the storyline and characters from the games? None of the characters I knew and loved from the series appeared in the first movie. And then they half-heatedly tried to add some in during the second movie, but horribly botched all of their characters. Nemesis was cheesy as hell in that second movie, and his origin was even worse. And a karate fight with Nemesis? Really, guys? Are you ******** joking? I love how in the first movie, they're all running from hordes of zombies and then that guy who was helping them all along gets his memory back. "Oh yeah! I remember, I'm a bad guy now!" and so he holds them at gunpoint even though there's frikkin' monsters everywhere and this b***h is about to turn into a ********' zomb. Why don't you try to escape your impending doom first, then betray everyone when you're in the clear? And then we got frikkin' Alice backflipping off of walls and slow motion Matrix-style karate kicking a Cerberus, smashing flower pots over zombies heads and knocking them out. Then she comes crashing through the top window of a church on a motorcycle with guns blazing and lands perfectly. AWESOME! Somebody call Dante, because this b***h is totally stealing all his moves. She should have crashed in there with a frikkin' pizza too. If you're going to make an RE movie that doesn't really have anything to do with the games, why don't you try to make a good movie? Alice is lame, the rest of the characters are lame, the on-screen versions of the game characters are lame, the story is lame, the action is lame, it's horridly cheesy, and it's all horridly acted throughout. And now you're seeing some of that stupid stuff in the games, and you can blame those movies. Thankfully, it's been in pretty moderate amounts and Alice hasn't showed up yet.

So we don't see eye to eye on this. And we're not going to.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:35 pm
Pretty sure Alice doesn't do epic backflips in the laser hall like Leon does. That's all I have to say.  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm
To those of you who are purchasing 5 this weekend, Toys R US will be having a special. If you buy it on Friday or Saturday, you get a free $20 gift card.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm
Ha, I just saw Canas whited out one of my possible spoilers a page back (Thanks!). I tried to play the clueless card, and was seeing if anybody knew what Zed was referring to ha ha. Zed= A referential shortening of the band Led Zeppelin's name. Yeah, right ha ha.

Edited by Canas Renvall. The game's not out yet, Deadite. Try not to mention the term. :XP:

Once again, highlight at your own risk.

Led Zeppelin rocks... stare Bwahahaha  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:51 pm
Thee Stranger

Seriously? I doubt anyone here cares, and if they do, they probably know already. But as you wish.

I know for a fact that there's at least more than one person here that does care. So yeah, avoid MGS spoilers. That's what the MGS guild is for.

Thee Stranger

EDIT: Because videogames can get away with things that movies can't. If the MGS series was just the cutscenes, then yes, I would have tuned out right when "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo" was uttered and Liquid's Arm showed up on the tanker. But there are certain things that I can forgive in videogames that I cannot with movies. Gameplay is the major factor here, and the immersive interactivity that you have with the storyline in games that you don't have in film. Film is all about story telling. That's not the case with video games. Furthermore, I honestly don't understand why you're so against what the games are doing when you have super-powered clones, laser corridors, over the top Devil May Cry-style action scenes, and matrix-style backflips in all of those movies. And would you call the RE movies horror movies? I sure wouldn't. I don't like the movies for a lot of reasons; starting with the fact that the storyline is nothing like the game's. If you're going to make an RE movie based off the games, then... why don't you make them like the games? Why don't you adapt the storyline and characters from the games? None of the characters I knew and loved from the series appeared in the first movie. And then they half-heatedly tried to add some in during the second movie, but horribly botched all of their characters. Nemesis was cheesy as hell in that second movie, and his origin was even worse. And a karate fight with Nemesis? Really, guys? Are you ******** joking? I love how in the first movie, they're all running from hordes of zombies and then that guy who was helping them all along gets his memory back. "Oh yeah! I remember, I'm a bad guy now!" and so he holds them at gunpoint even though there's frikkin' monsters everywhere and this b***h is about to turn into a ********' zomb. Why don't you try to escape your impending doom first, then betray everyone when you're in the clear? And then we got frikkin' Alice backflipping off of walls and slow motion Matrix-style karate kicking a Cerberus, smashing flower pots over zombies heads and knocking them out. Then she comes crashing through the top window of a church on a motorcycle with guns blazing and lands perfectly. AWESOME! Somebody call Dante, because this b***h is totally stealing all his moves. She should have crashed in there with a frikkin' pizza too. If you're going to make an RE movie that doesn't really have anything to do with the games, why don't you try to make a good movie? Alice is lame, the rest of the characters are lame, the on-screen versions of the game characters are lame, the story is lame, the action is lame, it's horridly cheesy, and it's all horridly acted throughout. And now you're seeing some of that stupid stuff in the games, and you can blame those movies. Thankfully, it's been in pretty moderate amounts and Alice hasn't showed up yet.

So we don't see eye to eye on this. And we're not going to.

Well, in perspective, RE5 is to games what an Uwe Boll movie is to film. Yes, movies can't get away with as much, but that's just how badly RE5 screwed up.
It's a lot easier to take the RE movies seriously and I honestly don't see why you have a problem in doing so.
You say the game characters were botched in the movies, well I happen to think Carlos was portrayed better in the movies. Same with Claire. Frankly, the only thing that killed Jill for me was the smoking, and even then, it beats the hell out of wearing a cloak with a "Vega" mask.
And compared to the way Game Wesker is now, Movie Wesker just... murks him. And I don't think movie Wesker was that great. It's just, in comparison.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:47 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
I know for a fact that there's at least more than one person here that does care. So yeah, avoid MGS spoilers. That's what the MGS guild is for.

Yes, I'm aware of this now. Apologies.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, in perspective, RE5 is to games what an Uwe Boll movie is to film. Yes, movies can't get away with as much, but that's just how badly RE5 screwed up.

When I know all the details of RE5's plot for myself, I'll opine on it. But I have a hard time believing that its plot is worse than RE4's. It'd have to be really, really bad. After I play it, I'll have a verdict of my own.

Biohazard EXTREME
It's a lot easier to take the RE movies seriously and I honestly don't see why you have a problem in doing so.

I don't see how anybody could take those movies seriously. Hell, even stuff they bring in from the games... Nemesis had me shitting my pants every time he showed up on screen in the game. In contrast, the movie version of Nemesis had me laughing my a** off at how bad he looked and how he moved so wooden and stiff like the Tin Can Man. Speaking of wooden and stiff, so is the acting. But I did like RE Apocalypse... as a comedy. It's so terrible it's actually kind of entertaining in areas. Gah, I gotta stop before this turns into another long rant.

Biohazard EXTREME
You say the game characters were botched in the movies, well I happen to think Carlos was portrayed better in the movies. Same with Claire. Frankly, the only thing that killed Jill for me was the smoking, and even then, it beats the hell out of wearing a cloak with a "Vega" mask.
And compared to the way Game Wesker is now, Movie Wesker just... murks him. And I don't think movie Wesker was that great. It's just, in comparison.

Well, I happen to think the opposite is true. We have our opinions. I agree on the Bird Lady Jill thing, though. That's pretty lame. When I play the game through and know everything, I'll have more to say about it.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:59 pm
Well, frankly, Nemesis was an actor in a suit. You try to put on a big rubber suit, a 60 lb minigun in one hand, a rocket laungher in the other and be fast and nimble at the same time.
He probably had like 150lbs of weight on him altogether.

I'm not saying you should like the movies, I'm just saying, I don't understand, if you hate the movies, how you could possibly like what the games have turned into.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:16 pm
Only a few hours here! Going to the GameStop party!  

BurningTheory

2,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:17 pm
Have fun while being surrounded by Leon fanboys! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:35 pm
Oh God. Maybe I'll just stay in my car. Listen to some music, seat warmers on high, drinking a Pepsi. xD

But yeah, I'm excited!  

BurningTheory

2,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm
Now that sounds more fun. 3nodding

Better yet, if you know any spoilers, start yelling them at everyone coming out of the building and laugh at their reactions (ala SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE). rofl

Edit: Bio would be great for this. I could see him flipping everyone off as well. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 pm
Aww, son of a b***h! Why didn't I think of doing that with RE5!?

Well, I'm pretty sure the EB games at the mall where I work, won't be having a midnight party anyway. Damn, how I wish... Hmm... Maybe tomorrow... Before work, I can catch some people at the store anyway. twisted  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:56 pm
OMFG DO IT

Take a megaphone and just shout at them. rofl  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games