Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 am
It's not death, it's not being alive anymore.
I don't want to die, and the idea of not being anymore terrifies me.
I don't understand how someone could not care.

I've always feared death, ever since I was a little girl and realized one day everything is going to vanish for me it terrified me. I just don't think about it and live the best way I can because it's inevitable, but whenever I do think about it, it's pretty paralyzing.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 am
Im A Little Pea

I've always feared death, ever since I was a little girl and realized one day everything is going to vanish for me it terrified me. I just don't think about it and live the best way I can because it's inevitable, but whenever I do think about it, it's pretty paralyzing.

Because when you're dead, you're not there to think about how terrible not existing is. It doesn't matter any more.  

Artto

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 am
Artis, the point is you don't exist. Yes when you're dead you won't realize it, and that is one thing that is a great fear of mine. I don't want to stop existing, I want to always be. Why should we just simply go, "Oh well, when it happens I will feel nothing so there is nothing bad about it." I don't care if I feel it or not, ceasing to be is horrifying.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 am
Lord Maxdom
Artis, the point is you don't exist. Yes when you're dead you won't realize it, and that is one thing that is a great fear of mine. I don't want to stop existing, I want to always be. Why should we just simply go, "Oh well, when it happens I will feel nothing so there is nothing bad about it." I don't care if I feel it or not, ceasing to be is horrifying.

It used to terrify me too, but somehow it doesn't any more. I just don't see anything bad about not existing.  

Artto

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am
When I'm dead, hopefully it will be on that TV show 1000 Ways to Die... , my brain will cut off and so will all thinking process and nerve function.
The idea of not thinking about dieing while dead keeps me going.

That and I just don't give a damn. I lived a nice life, better than most.

Funny, though, because I was scared of death when I was a Christian. HA! XD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 am
I fear the absence of thought, the absence of knowing what's going on in my head, the absence of acknowledging my very existence. I never want to sleep the eternal slumber, I fear death greatly and unmeasurably. It is my number one fear to cease my existence and become nothing more than food for those organisms around me or a miserable pile of ash.

Though my fear is an understandable one, I am going to have to come to terms with that eventually... that is, unless the "in 20 years, we'll make a break-through in genetics to stop aging" prediction comes true.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 am
I don't fear death because I'm not going to be around to say "Well that was horrendous", or even "Oh this is a pretty nice coffin you got me". I'll just stop. Like every other living thing in this world. I'm going back to what I was, before this funny little blip on the radar called Life happened.

Besides, over the course of years, my body is going to break down, back into the dirt, and over many more years, help make up bugs or flowers or animals or heck, whatever else you can make out of a dead Ana. If that's not snazzy recycling, then I don't know what is.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 am
Yeah, I'm actually terrified of death. It doesn't make God any more or less true. Believing something just because you fear the alternative is a stupid reason to believe in something.

Unfortunately, a lot of people fall into that trap. You have s**t lines like "There are no atheists in foxholes", which just propagate this flawed proof of "tr00th", as I like to call it. If we found a "cure for death" tomorrow, religion would be the first (and last) thing to die.  

Lethkhar

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 am
Artto
Im A Little Pea

Because when you're dead, you're not there to think about how terrible not existing is. It doesn't matter any more.
But I'm alive not and it troubles me that some day I won't be. I don't see how anyone could think that doesn't matter, unless they're miserable and don't care if they died.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 pm
I don't fear death, nor do I think I can control the when or where of it. When it happens, it happens, and that's that. When we die, our brains "shut down". This is called brain death. When we die, that's it. It's all over. We'll just rot away, possibly becoming nutrients for plants in the future.  

Hakume Kirameshi

omninulla

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:58 pm
i don't fear death for the same reason i don't fear the dark. just as people who fear death fear it for the same reason others may also fear the dark. both fears are merely subcategories in the larger topic, the fear of the unknown.

i accept that i do not know what will happen to "me" when i die, if anything happens at all. just as i accept that when the lights are out i don't know what exactly may be in my room.

but, when you are in a dark room and you begin imagining that things are in there with you, it is typically a trick of the mind. it is NOT typically a message from a higher power telling you that some one IS in fact in the room with you despite the lack of hard evidence supporting this.

as people standing in the dark, we must wait until the light turns on to find out if anything is there with us.

but, as i like the dark, and as i know that the light, once turned on, won't turn off, i think ill stay in the dark for a while.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:43 pm
I fear dieing in a hospital bed. Slowly rotting over the course of weeks until I finally have no life left within me.

I'd much rather die fighting, or at least die instantly, than have to contemplate my own death for weeks while I can do nothing but sit in a hospital bed as my entire life, all the experiences, dreams, and thoughts I've ever had waste away.  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Radical Hypocrisy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:42 am
I'm not afraid of death because I don't spend my time worrying about it. It is the one thing you can be sure of, so why bother fretting over it. I could walk outside, right now, and get plowed over by a bus. A plane could crash into my house this very instant, and turn me into a fine red pulp. I have more important things to do than worry about how or when I'm going to die. Namely making a name for myself so that I'm remembered after death.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:14 pm
why you ask? because the minute your heart stops and your laying cold your mind has gone blank even if you were to be shot all the pain will soon go and you will be happy because one day you will go some where where you belong where you are excepted. there is no way to tell that it will hurtor not but we should know that the minute it happens be prepared tp take the pain and then poof all life is gone and everything is over...  

Imperfect_Elegance

Born Of Ash And Despair

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm
Because death is just a natural part of life. Every living thing experiences it a some point, so why be afraid of the inevitable?

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff