Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

krome_devil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:13 am

Ivellias, the reasons are thus. At least my reasonings are, and those are the reasons i pointed out to Danadien_cortavere

First off,
Gaia is a wonderful website, it's alot of fun. We all spend some time on here, enjoying ourselves and having fun. They have several MILLION users. Usually for something that's so popular, with obvious staying power you have to pay a monthly fee or something, or you don't get access to everything. Gaia doesn't do that. They give special bonuses to those who donate, but don't hold people back from getting those bonuses with their own earned gold.

They provide a site that is well run, clean looking, and they keep it *clean*. And by that i mean that some of the idiots and jerks, and *coughs* many people with less flattering descriptions aren't tolerated on the site. There's a pg-14 rating, so we don't have to deal with smut, and people attempting to cyber or something on forums that kids look on every day.

Another huge thing is that they don't have ads on the site either. Think of how much money they could make by selling ad-space or mailing lists to advertisers. But they don't. I've never once gotten spam in my email account from Gaia. Nor have i had annoying pop up adds to click out of.

The three huge chinese meals, books of manga, dvd's, cd's, or games are nice, but I'd rather hang out at a fun friendly site where I can make friends, talk to people, without worrying about all the added crap from most other online places thrown in there.

To me all of this is a major rarity online. So I think it's worth shelling out some money to them, to help them keep their site clean, and kind of a reward for just making this place a fun place to be.

And the donation items are kinda nice too.

And before you think that the people who donate and don't use are bad... Here's a list of my inventory of thank you letters. All on a mule in case i get hacked. And yes i'm partially showing off, but also making a point blaugh

Thank you Letters.
1x Feb 2005
2x April 2005
1x May 2005
1x June 2005
2x July 2005
3x August 2005
5x September 2005
5x October 2005
6x November 2005
7x December 2005
10x January 2006
6x February 2006
1x March 2006
5x April 2006
8x May 2006
7x June 2006
10x July 2006
8x August 2006
11x September 2006
10x October 2006

O.o that's alot of donation letters. And that doesn't count the LOADS of ones i've used the ones i've given to people and the few i've sold to people.

I usually give away 4-6 letters a month. Plus the ones i keep for myself. And this site is worth every penny.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:11 pm

Where is the character creation section? I can't find it. crying

Aburame_Shino_7

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:19 pm

It isn't such a tragedy, ivel.

No, I meant that, since IE won't support PNG transparency, they completely avoid the problem by using their server power to load and render images. So, some of the items have glitches, which makes them show up oddly, regardless of browser, because the browser is directly loading instructions from gaia'a servers about the images.

Yeah, but the admins make a decent profit, because so many pople donate so much, even after the server maintinence costs are taken off.

There is no character creation section. Every RP has their own character creation requirments. Follow the rules in the thread of the RP you wish to join.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:02 pm

*nods along with Krome* Indeed. In fact, I never thought more than $5 would go to gaia a month this time last year. Then again, the items kept getting better, and now I donate $20 a month! It is a major point to me to keep at least one letter for later . . . as an emergency stash. In case of wonderous items I want now like the raptor items were, it can be sold. While I don't come close to Neechan's list, there are a few letters in my inventory as well.

*drools over the list of goodies she has*

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Aburame_Shino_7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:09 pm

MM-kay, thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:27 pm

I don't have just oodles of cash; I think that Gaia is cool enough to actually include it in my budget and cut back on things I like. Also, Krome is right about the donation reasons, but here's a few other points that Krome didn't make, in particular reference to Ivel's points...

I don't like Manga. *gasp* It's true, I don't.

Games these days are usually pretty boring after you beat them, meaning that you get maybe 20 hours of real, new enjoyment out of them before they get stale. Some are different (Like Jade Empire, any of the Kotor series, SoC, or some sports games), but for the large part they're a wasted investment. I know a dude who's got over fifty Xbox games...and he hasn't played ANY of them in months.

I'm not enormously fond of chinese food for the most part. >.>;;

I don't watch enough TV or movies to bother with DVD's, and what DVD's I do want I could probably find on Amazon for like 2 bucks, or just rent netflix style.

I don't have anything to say about teh CD's, since you've got kind of a point there...I get new music all the time and I don't agree with downloading it >.<

But still. The BIG reason, I stated: I think that what Gaia does is a good and admirable enough thing to actually include them in my budget. They're not THAT big of a chunk most of the time anyway, and I feel like they deserve it for all of the hours and hours and hours and YEARS of hard work the crew puts in, constantly updating, adding new features, art, forums, games, and other things that they do.

If I could do more, I would...not for the letters, but because I honestly feel like they've earned it.

All you old folks can say what you want to about how teh new Gaia sucks and how it needs to go back to the way it was (and you can bite me while you're at it...at least you've got it still, you ingrates)...and you might well be right about some of it.

But regardless, Gaia Online STILL rocks teh socks, so they're getting part of my check.

danadien_cortavere

Panpear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:42 pm

Yoder
Yeah, but the admins make a decent profit, because so many pople donate so much, even after the server maintinence costs are taken off.

I'm gonna have to say that since the admins probably consider working on gaia as like... a full/part time job, it's probably a good thing that they make profit so they can eat and stuff. ^^;
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:02 pm

I agree, though I don't generally donate on a regular basis, since I'm pretty poor. sweatdrop But definitely, this is the only site I've ever come across that I feel is worth sending money to.

Cobalt

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 pm

*joins all in drooling over krome's list*

*gasp* You don't?

Well, I buy quality games. The ones that are truly worth it.

*agrees with dana about the chinese food*

I collect series of shows. It's my main hobby. I onl get ones that I love, usually for nostalgic reasons.

*downloads some music* redface

I see where ivel some from, because you're just spending actual solid money on fake pixel items.

*is not such an oldbie, but has noticed a change, so bites Dana*

True, it is a great site.

Well ,they make a GREAT profit. They alos offer advertising on the site for random businesses. They're rich.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:03 am

I don't mind dropping a couple bucks here and there for this site. The donation items don't exactly cost an arm and a leg after all. It's a fairly good site, clean and well run. I'm willing to support that. Nuff said! 3nodding

DJBluefire

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:19 am

*bares fangs and an evil smile at reece* You sure you want the oldbies to come a-bitin? twisted

Suffice it to say that Gaia is a wonderous place and well worth the investment. If not for the donation items, it would be doubtful that they would have as much donations as they do. Still, if they did not make a profit, we would likely be assailed with begging messages like "We can't afford Gaia's costs- donate or we may die!!!1!" This is a far better system.

As for the list of things . . .

>I have 33 PS2 games, and still play a few of them. Thanks to EB, I trade in the old ones I don't want and get new ones. 4laugh

>Chinese food is one of my favourite things to eat.

>I download almost all the music I get anymore. ninja

>Anime is preferable to manga in my opinion- save the hentai versions. He he he!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:25 am

*hides from the bitin Talon*

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ruined Horizon

Distinct Genius

5,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:30 am

*cold stare at Rainer* Wimp.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:22 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW o.O I've been gone a LONG-assed time. What is up people? I missed everybody!

Gizem

Disturbing Tale Teller

Fuzzy Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:34 am

*spins in circles*

@_@
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games