Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil 5 Discussion:: The Infection Spreads Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elliot Salem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:20 pm
Foxy, I'm still gonna ask this one question, how does atmosphere not matter?
FoxyAreku
Atmosphere doesn't matter, has never mattered, and will never matter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:46 pm
Because, all it does is provide tension. It may help the horror-vibe, but like previously stated a creepy room won't kill you.

Maybe I went to far saying it doesn't matter AT ALL, but it's nothing without the creatures, the things that can actually hurt you.

It's just silly to be afraid of saying that isn't a threat to you, in my opinion.

FoxyAreku

Elliot Salem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 pm
It may be nothing without the creatures, but without an atmosphere they are just another enemy.

To create a good horror game, you need to have a balance between both. As I said earlier, Michael Myers isn't all that scary if you are able to see where he's coming from. (Not mentally) While if you are in a lace where he can be behind the next door, or around the next corner, it brings a sense of well, horror.

That's what horror is though, tension.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:00 pm
You make a good point, but I still believe creatures are more important overall. Creatures can be scary without an atmosphere.

As I stated before if Pyramid Head was placed in an RE5-esque place and maintained his same "personality" (if that's the right word) while still being impossible to kill, he would still be damn scary.

Just my thoughts though.

FoxyAreku

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm
*sigh* I told you I was done with you. Why am I doing this?

All I have to say is,

1.) Yes, I have played RE5's campaign on Professional Mode with my friend. No, it wasn't from scratch, and I have only visited 4Chan once in my entire life. The tweaks made to RE5's Merc Mode are very minor. So RE5's point system works a bit differently. So what? That doesn't change the gameplay at all. They are essentially the same. But no, I wasn't aware that RE5's ended after you killed a certain amount of enemies. Honestly, I didn't play it enough to discover that. RE5's Mercenaries Mode bored me because I had already played through RE4's so much, and they're so similar. All I did was unlock the characters and stages, and then I had no motivation to play it from there on. Nothing left to unlock. And been there, done that.

2.) I'm sorry that I outright insulted you. That was immature of me. It was against the rules, I knew that, but I did it anyway. But just because you didn't outright call me something, doesn't mean you haven't insulted me, or haven't been just as rude to me. Just because you haven't straight up called me a "n00b" doesn't mean you haven't called me a n00b. If you know what I think, and you tell me what I think makes me a n00b, how have you not called me a n00b? That's just circumventing the system right there. After that, I figured it was fair game to throw the insults, instead pussyfooting around. The overall tone of your posts says it all. You've been throwing in plenty of jabs of your own, so please quit with the holier-than-thou attitude. But I apologize for straight up calling you a furfag. The hamster thing -- that's because you're a furry. I didn't know that you actually had one. But that's kinda funny. If you don't know what I was getting at, well, that's your problem.

3.) You can sit here and try to say that I'm nothing but a steaming pile of irrelevant comments, and that I don't state any actual facts, but that simply isn't true. That's just dismissive. You won't even address half of the points I make, but you do address just about every irrelevant comment or insult, and then you try to project that as being the whole of my argument. One fact I can think of off the top of my head is the Gears of War thing, and how RE4 inspired it. That's a fact. And for a guy who says that atmosphere doesn't matter at all, I find it quite funny that you cite the only two RE games that you claim have atmosphere as being the "truly scary" ones. And for the last time, as I've already stated over and over in my previous posts, which you must not have read, or perhaps chose to ignore, atmosphere isn't just the ******** room or environment; it's the overall aura or tone of the game/movie/whatever. So when you say RE5 isn't a horror game because it's too action-heavy, or isn't "made" or structured like a horror game, you're basically saying that it has no atmosphere. Do me a favor and look up the definition of atmosphere, because I think you're a bit confused as to what it really is. Other than that, I think I've made my point, more than once, so I'm going to leave it at that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:21 am
FoxyAreku
You make a good point, but I still believe creatures are more important overall. Creatures can be scary without an atmosphere.

As I stated before if Pyramid Head was placed in an RE5-esque place and maintained his same "personality" (if that's the right word) while still being impossible to kill, he would still be damn scary.

Just my thoughts though.

Actually, just adding him into would make him more of a nuisance than a scare, I think.
I'm not familiar with the SH series, but if I remember right, someone said you CAN kill pyramid Head, but it takes a lot of damage to do so. So him in a RE4/RE5 game would just be another enemy. Now the older games where ammo is limited, is a whole nother story.

A horror game can be broken down into 3 main factors; Atmosphere, Creatures/Enemies, and finally Game play. All important and without each other, you wouldn't have a decent horror game.  

Elliot Salem

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:33 am
Exactly. I never tried to claim that atmosphere was all that mattered. But it is a very important and vital component to a horror game. I would argue probably the most vital.

If you were to play SH2 on Beginner Mode, and you didn't know that there wasn't going to be any enemies, you'd still be on edge. Sure, after a while you'd figure out, yeah, nothing's happening. But you'd still be feeling kind of uncomfortable until then. That's what a horror game is supposed to do. In RE5, not only is it broad daylight throughout the majority of it, not only is the gameplay and storyline action-oriented, but you're empowered throughout the whole thing. All the creatures in the world don't make it a horror game.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 am
Alright, first of all, I can't believe a Moderator didn't put the squash on this sooner (myself included).

Knock it off. All of you. I can appreciate and admire a difference of opinion, and everyone here knows I love a great debate. But it's crossed the line between friendly debate and insults and both parties are guilty (this is in reference to Stranger and Areku).

I highly suggest that you stop debating with each other if all you're going to do is insult each others' opinions. Can we please agree to disagree or just accept people for their opinions (especially if they differ from our own)?

You're both given a warning. Please try to respect everyone else in the guild and treat everyone how you wish to be treated.

If any of you feel the desire to discuss this further, please feel free to PM me.

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100

FoxyAreku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:05 am
Apologies notte, probably could of handled it better but I blocked stranger since he simply wouldn't stop insulting me and getting personal, so it won't happen again. smile

@Elliot Salem: I must correct you there, Pyramid Head in his game was impossible to kill, the most he would ever do is leave you for awhile, you could hit him for hours though and he'd never die. The only way to get rid of him was near the end of the game where you pretty much just waited for him to kill himself. Insane.
xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:27 pm
Alright Areku, I'll post my outlook since you want me to. But do realize that Thee Stranger has changed my opinion a little bit, so it will be different then what you might have expected...But of course, this will happen tomorrow lol...I promise.

Notte, cracking hard with the whip. Kinda makes me...  

King of Paradise

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 pm
The Not So Evil Deadite

*Revvs chainsaw* I don't think you want to finish that sentence.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:39 pm
NotteRequiem
The Not So Evil Deadite

*Revvs chainsaw* I don't think you want to finish that sentence.

xd

Anyway, I don't mind if your opinion has changed, I just want to hear it, you seem to be intelligent and I doubt you would get personal and rude if I happen to disagree with you. lol  

FoxyAreku

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:33 am
Wait.... You want my opinion about RE5, Areku?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:08 am
Eh hem. Alright, here is my five cents. And about damn time, too.

I. Alright, so at the start of this debate my opinion was that creatures > atmosphere. It sill remains as such, but only for one half of the argument. Let me iterate.

Ya see, I was wrong. When it comes to establishing horror, atmosphere is just as important, if not even MORE so than creatures (Or situations that occur in a horror setting, and that pertains to many things). Thee Stranger made me open my eyes to this fact. It's true, you can't have horror without atmosphere. But that's where my beliefs intervene. Because even though atmosphere is important to establishing a horror theme, I'm not going to give it the honor of the right to be known as the device that scares us. It isn't. Atmosphere really is only used to establish a certain theme, and with a horror theme, unsettle us. It's the creatures or situations that have the end effect of scaring us. But I can no longer say they do it by themselves. I must give credit where credit is due, and have to admit atmospheres gives creatures or situations a boost, if not half the responsibility of making us jump or sweat in fear. But, like I said before, even with a helpful boost, it IS the creatures or situations that end up doing the damage. Which is why I still believe creatures over atmosphere when it comes to the scares. I mean, I can give many examples where creatures or situations have made me jump in a non-horror atmosphere, but none where atmosphere alone ever made me squirm in terror.

II. The only other point I want to make is to not judge someone by what they deem is scary. We each have individual ideas of what we think is terror inducing, so don't bash someone or hold your head higher if you think what a person finds scary is something you find scoff worthy. Chances are, something you find freaky as all hell is what they find to be child's play. Ok? I mean, you never know. There might actually be someone out there who finds the new resident evil games scary as ******** while viewing the old ones a cake walk. I doubt it, but you never know...I mean, take me for instance. I thought Silent Hill 2 had a great atmosphere and creatures, but was trying to be too scary, which is why I really didn't find it that scary. Not seeing what was right in front of me was rather annoying.

Oh, and Areku, even though the furfag remark was a littler too much, don't doubt Thee Stranger's ability to debate. He has put me in my place many a times.  

King of Paradise

FoxyAreku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 pm
NotteRequiem
Wait.... You want my opinion about RE5, Areku?

Sure. More input from the guild members/mods would be great.

The Not So Evil Deadite
Eh hem. Alright, here is my five cents. And about damn time, too.

I. Alright, so at the start of this debate my opinion was that creatures > atmosphere. It sill remains as such, but only for one half of the argument. Let me iterate.

Ya see, I was wrong. When it comes to establishing horror, atmosphere is just as important, if not even MORE so than creatures (Or situations that occur in a horror setting, and that pertains to many things). Thee Stranger made me open my eyes to this fact. It's true, you can't have horror without atmosphere. But that's where my beliefs intervene. Because even though atmosphere is important to establishing a horror theme, I'm not going to give it the honor of the right to be known as the device that scares us. It isn't. Atmosphere really is only used to establish a certain theme, and with a horror theme, unsettle us. It's the creatures or situations that have the end effect of scaring us. But I can no longer say they do it by themselves. I must give credit where credit is due, and have to admit atmospheres gives creatures or situations a boost, if not half the responsibility of making us jump or sweat in fear. But, like I said before, even with a helpful boost, it IS the creatures or situations that end up doing the damage. Which is why I still believe creatures over atmosphere when it comes to the scares. I mean, I can give many examples where creatures or situations have made me jump in a non-horror atmosphere, but none where atmosphere alone ever made me squirm in terror.

II. The only other point I want to make is to not judge someone by what they deem is scary. We each have individual ideas of what we think is terror inducing, so don't bash someone or hold your head higher if you think what a person finds scary is something you find scoff worthy. Chances are, something you find freaky as all hell is what they find to be child's play. Ok? I mean, you never know. There might actually be someone out there who finds the new resident evil games scary as ******** while viewing the old ones a cake walk. I doubt it, but you never know...I mean, take me for instance. I thought Silent Hill 2 had a great atmosphere and creatures, but was trying to be too scary, which is why I really didn't find it that scary. Not seeing what was right in front of me was rather annoying.

Oh, and Areku, even though the furfag remark was a littler too much, don't doubt Thee Stranger's ability to debate. He has put me in my place many a times.

Somewhat agree, though I believe it is possible to have a scary game without atmosphere. It just hasn't been done yet, it's not impossible, imo.

And point noted, though I find it hard to believe anyone who resorts to childish insults and correcting grammar mistakes could ever be good at debating.

Thanks for sharing!

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games