Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply EverGleam
Evergleam Giveaway & Lotto -- Gleam On! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 463 464 465 466 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vote on the future of this guild.
  1. All contests end immediately, all prizes get distributed, and it's all over. No more Guild.
  2. We move back to a Chatterbox-only format, one single Evergleam thread, so there will be more people.
  3. Other choice -- POST ABOUT IT or it'll never be voted on, never happen.
View Results

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:07 am
Nudge eight hundred and eighty-five

So, I got my friend to read a book! Yaaay! The Last Herald-Mage in fact. Unfortunately, she never read any of the other books in the series. *sigh* Why am I the only person I know that actually reads?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am
Nudge eight hundred and eighty-six

Of course the whole 'not knowing anyone' is all my fault. And...yeah, that's about it. I don't feel like delving into what I want or why I don't or anything of the sort. No psychoanalyzing tonight.  

Ambrai

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 am
Nudge eight hundred and eighty-seven

So, for a while now I'd been thinking that I like R. A. Salvatore better than Mercedes Lackey, which was a downer for me because she was the first author I actively tracked down books of and I like to be loyal.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 am
Nudge eight hundred and eighty-eight (I love numbers like this)

But I have finally come to the conclusion that yes, Mercedes Lackey is better than R. A. Salvatore. Don't get me wrong, Salvatore is pretty cool too!  

Ambrai

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 am
Nudge eight hundred and eight-nine

However, when it comes to realism, he falls short. Ok, yeah, they're both FANTASY writers, how much realism can you have there?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:22 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety

Well, I can tell you this much, Mercedes Lackey would not have her characters standing on the backs of two camels and yet still being able to reach, with perfect ease, the bandits riding SITTING on their horses and attacking. Salvatore has a distinct lack of concern for the heights of his characters, in particular, Drizzt.  

Ambrai

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety-one

This can be seen whenever Drizzt encounters giants. Now, I've played EQ so I have SEEN what giants could look like. Their's are about twenty feet tall, I think. I have also flipped through a couple RPG books my friend had and learned they could be shorter than that. As in 18-15 feet. I figure they have to be at least 10 feet tall.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety-two

Drizzt is short. I know he's a bit taller than me, and I'm 5 foot 2 inches. I'm guessing 5 foot 4-5 inches. Seeing as how the hips on down is a lil longer than hips on up, that means the giant's chest is at least (guessing here) 7-8 feet off the ground. That's if the giant is only 10 feet tall and maybe the most diminutive giants are that height; I certainly don't know.  

Ambrai

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety-three

And yes, I know that the tallest man was 8-9 feet. And yes, he was called a giant. I KNOW. However, fantasy tends to take normal things and inflate them. I think it is fine to guess that their giants would be rather more tall than a human giant. Especially as these are not human giants but their own race.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:40 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety-four

So Drizzt's arm would be around 2 and a half feet long. His blade would be maybe 3 feet? Now for math.... xp  

Ambrai

Ambrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 am
Nudge eight hundred and ninety-five

So the body is about 7 heads tall. Drizzt is, lessay five and a half feet tall. That give us about (really loose here) 3/4 of a foot per head.

And here I'm stopping for tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to pick this up again tomorrow. And yeah, I probably sound pretentious and if you know better than anything I say please p***k my balloon of a pride and pop it. And if you don't care, then. What's your favorite ice cream flavor? I kinda like the nuts over caramel at Friendly's...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:40 am
Ambrai
Nudge eight hundred and eighty-five

So, I got my friend to read a book! Yaaay! The Last Herald-Mage in fact. Unfortunately, she never read any of the other books in the series. *sigh* Why am I the only person I know that actually reads?

I read a few in that series. They're good brain candy, but to be honest, I got tired of Lackey. She can't seem to come up with a single story in which someone doesn't get raped. I think it's a cheap-and-easy way to create horror, sadness, or drama, and frankly, I approve of an author who can come up with something different once in a while.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Monsieur Nameless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 am
Bump 388!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:55 am
Bump 389!  

Monsieur Nameless

Shoafy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:47 pm
Ambrai
Shoafy

bump 906.

if i had any brains i would do that.
but since i have reread them so many times i don't think it matters.
i still love them.

Nudge eight hundred and seventy-six

I wish I could reread mine over and over but I have to wait until the memory of them has faded a bit or I get bored. I need to not know what's going to happen next and that takes about a year. Figures the one thing I have memory for is the one thing I'd rather not! And yet I still cannot summarize to save my life. What kind of books do you read?

bump 928.

mostly fantasy/sci-fi type books.

i am an addict to books.
ask my librarian. haha.  
EverGleam

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 463 464 465 466 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games