Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

soumakisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 am
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
Haha, funny. biggrin -pokes B&B-

When I first started primary school I couldn't speak or understand english either. I didn't even know how to eat the english school dinners, so for the first few weeks my mum had to make instant ramen and bring it in for me at lunchtimes! rofl

AW! *pat* I hated the meals back then. mad

First day of school... *muses* I think I cried and yelled for mum not to go in Chinese, then stared at my classmates in dumbfoundedness.... xd

LOL... let's see.. my first day of school... can't really remember..
but I had to sit next to a boy who would always steal my pencils and erasers.. evil  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 am
I went on exchange to S'pore.. I don't know if you know the school, we went to Nang Yang Girls' School for three weeks.. it was really fun.. but they had like 5 meals a day! o__0;; and got up really early. And slept really late. But we had such a great time.. we were in the sec 2 class ^^;;

At school in China we had to get into school by 7:30 (and this was primary school..) and quite often stayed til like.. 5 or 6. Nowadays I get up at, what, 8am? xD but I get home at like 6:30-6:45, so it makes up for it.. although we do get longer holidays =)

I can't remember not being able to read/write/count..  

Niphredil Ithilmir

soumakisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:01 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
I went on exchange to S'pore.. I don't know if you know the school, we went to Nang Yang Girls' School for three weeks.. it was really fun.. but they had like 5 meals a day! o__0;; and got up really early. And slept really late. But we had such a great time.. we were in the sec 2 class ^^;;

At school in China we had to get into school by 7:30 (and this was primary school..) and quite often stayed til like.. 5 or 6. Nowadays I get up at, what, 8am? xD but I get home at like 6:30-6:45, so it makes up for it.. although we do get longer holidays =)

I can't remember not being able to read/write/count..

oh yes.. i know that school.. it's one of the top schools in singapore... not easy to get in...
i was supposed to study there for my secondary level... but i'm afraid i couldn't cope as i would have to take higher chinese... (and my chinese is kinda rusty after going to Aust =.=)

i used to attend nanyang primary... and at that time nanyang was seriously strict!!! as you know the school uniform is a sleeveless white blouse and white skirt... so our hand-watches could only be of white, black or silver in colour..

our hair had to be short above the shoulders... no long hair was allowed.. (but they have changed this rule now tho)

and of coz the usual,
no long nails
no skirt's length to be above the knee
not allowed to wear accessories to school except ear studs  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:59 pm
I thought there was an option to not take higher Chinese? I liked the uniform, actually.. but the top is really hard to take off x__x;;

They have a really nice boarding school 3nodding

S'pore was so great <3 Orchard Rd & the shopping.. & they took us everywhere, to like Sentosa and Little India and Sungei Buloh and the tallest 'mountain' in S'pore (can't remember the name) ^^;;  

Niphredil Ithilmir

BlacksandBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm
What language does Singapore speak anyway?? confused

@Toki: Yesh, me want one! 4laugh heart  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:24 pm
BlacksandBlues

I think it's mandarin, but there may be more languages.

And no you cannot have a wowwipop. It's nearly bed-time for you, so go and brush your teeth. 3nodding  

Tokioka

BlacksandBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:26 pm
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

And no you cannot have a wowwipop. It's nearly bed-time for you, so go and brush your teeth. 3nodding

NUUUUU!! crying crying crying Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Me want one, me want one! crying crying crying WAAAAAAAA! *starts thrashing about madly*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:32 pm
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

NUUUUU!! crying crying crying Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Me want one, me want one! crying crying crying WAAAAAAAA! *starts thrashing about madly*
I said no, and that means NO! scream

-sneaks her some wowwipop-  

Tokioka

BlacksandBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:34 pm
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

*sucks on wowwipop without parents looking*
Ken: *puppy dog eyes* Me have ein lick, sissy dear??
NUU! *runs away and sucks wowwipop protectively* C'est mine!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 pm
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

Yeh Ken! Get out!
-throws ken into the snow-
This is toki's Manchester now =D... -claps hands-

Tokioka

BlacksandBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:41 pm
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

Yeh Ken! Get out!

Yay! *runs around in Toki-land, aka Manchester*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:40 pm
BlacksandBlues
3nodding Niphy-neechan has given you ein very gut description, Mini-niikun, but just for you, I shall make a sort of table of info for tu! mrgreen

Early September: school year starts
September - late October: first half of first (Autumn) term
Late October: half term (lasts a week)
Start of November - mid-December: second half of first (Autumn) term
Mid-December - early January: Christmas holidays (lasts for about two- three weeks)
Early January - mid February: first half of second (Spring) term
Late February - beginning of March: Half term (lasts for a week)
Beginning of March - beginning/mid-April: Second half of second (Spring) term
Beginning/mid April - late April: Easter holidays (lasts for about two - three weeks)
Late April - end of May: First half of third (Summer) term
End of May to beginning of June: Half term (lasts for a week ~ Usually people revising for end of year tests gonk )
Beginning of June - mid-July: Second half of third (Summer) term
Mid July - beginning of September (through August): Summer holidays (lasts for about 1month and a half to 2 months... maybe more for some schools)

So that's a summary (a kind of guess) of our school holiday system. However, the length and time of holidays always depends on what region you live in, what type of school you go to, and of course, which school you go to, lol.

Our school years:

Younger babies
Playgroup: Little 2 - 3 year olds (optional)
Nursery: 3 and half - 4 (optional)
Reception: 4 - 5 yrs old (optional in some cases)

Primary school (the juniors)
Year 1: 5 - 6 yrs old
Year 2: 6 - 7 yrs old
Year 3: 7 - 8 yrs old
Year 4: 8 - 9 yrs old
Year 5: 9 - 10 yrs old
Year 6: 10 - 11 yrs old

Secondary school (AKA High school) (the seniors)
Year 7: 11 - 12 yrs old
Year 8: 12 - 13 yrs old
Year 9: 13 - 14 yrs old
Year 10: 14 - 15 yrs old (ME!)
Year 11: 15 - 16 yrs old

Year 12 (also known as AS level): 16 - 17 yrs old
Year 13 (also known as A level): 17 - 18 yrs old

Violet highlighted years are GCSE years
Red highlighted years are also known as the Sixth Form. In many schools they can wear their own clothes instead of uniform and it is optional whether or not you do your A levels, but it is compulsory for uni. Many go to college in these years instead.

Hope that helped! biggrin

Thanks for that very detailed explanation of the English School system B&B.
The Victorian School system we have here is much simpler I reckon. Year 1 where you live is counted as Year 0, or prepatory year, years 1-6(2-7) is primary school. Years 7-9(8-10) is counted as Lower High School, Years 10-12(11-13) is Upper High School. Years 11 and 12 are marked as the VCE years.

Our school year starts around Janurary 27th, after Australia Day, and continues until one week before Christmas. mrgreen  

Minielf

snowboardingbabe101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 pm
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

Yeh Ken! Get out!

Yay! *runs around in Toki-land, aka Manchester*

wow... randomness hehe.. *puppy eyes* can i have a lollipop? me like lollipops mrgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:48 pm
Tokioka
BlacksandBlues

lol.. lots...
mainly English + either Chinese, Malay or Indian..
well, basically there are 4 races... Chinese, Malay, Indians and some Eurasians... Most Singaporeans are Chinese...

Our first lang is actually English - British English, tho we tend to speak more Singlish (i.e a slang of Broken English, which at times is mixed with other languages in sentences.)

the chinese would learn chinese (mandarin) as their 2nd lang
Malays would learn malay and the Indian would learn tamil... ^^

Mostly the older generation would speak their own dialects, like cantonese, hokkien, teo chiew... etc so we do picked some words from there...

here's a joke about it....

So for all of you new expats a short list of "what to expect when dealing with Singaporeans"

When going shopping...
anywhere else: I'm sorry, Sir, but we don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you.
S'poreans: No Stock!
---
When returning a call...
Anywhere else: Hello, this is Mr Bean. Did anyone page for me a few moments ago?
S'poreans: Hello, who page?
---
When someone is in the way...
Anywhere else: Excuse me, I'd like to get by. Would you please make way?
S'poreans: Lai, siam! or Siam, hor! or Skius! ('siam' is hokkien)
---
When someone offers to pay...
Anywhere else: Hey, put your wallet away, this drink is on me.
S'poreans: no need lah
---
When asking for permission...
Anywhere else: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?
S'poreans: (while pointing at door) Can pass or Not?
---
When asking to be excused...
Anywhere else: If you would excuse me for a moment, I have to go to the
gents/ladies. Please carry on without me, it would only take a moment.
S'poreans: Go toilet. Buay tahan ahh..... (Buay tahan - malay, which means, i can't take it anymore)
---
When entertaining...
Anywhere else: Please make yourself right at home.
S'poreans: Don't shy shy lah..or Wah! How much you pay rent?
---
When doubting someone...
Anywhere else : I don't recall you giving me the money.
S'poreans: Got meh?
---
When declining an offer...
Anywhere else: I'd prefer not to do that, if you don't mind.
S'poreans: Doe-waaaan.
---
When deciding on a plan of action...
Anywhere else: What do you propose we do now that the movie's sold out
& all the restaurants are closed?
S'poreans: So how?
---
When disagreeing on a topic of discussion...
Anywhere else : Err. Tom, I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the policy.
S'poreans: Talk c**k lah you!
---
When asking someone to lower their voice...
Anywhere else : Excuse me, but could you please lower your voice, I'm trying to concentrate over here.
S'poreans: Eh, Tiam leh!

and more.....

rofl

Not all of us talk like that... but we do tend to cut sentences short and use "lahs" "lor" "meh" at the end of the sentence... xD  

soumakisa

soumakisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:09 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
I thought there was an option to not take higher Chinese? I liked the uniform, actually.. but the top is really hard to take off x__x;;

They have a really nice boarding school 3nodding

S'pore was so great <3 Orchard Rd & the shopping.. & they took us everywhere, to like Sentosa and Little India and Sungei Buloh and the tallest 'mountain' in S'pore (can't remember the name) ^^;;

S'pore can be quite fun.. i often go to Orchard... mainly that's the place I go to for shopping... it's a country similiar to Hong Kong but the weather is really hot and humid (it's summer all year cause it lies directly on the equator) and the place is super small; you can travel from east to west and north to south in less than an hour.. rofl so there aren't much places to visit... there's good food too (but you must know where to eat)

the tallest mountain is called Bukit Timah Hill View...
2nd tallest would be mount faber...  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games