Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Pansa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:47 am
*Gives Danadien a cookie*

@Cobalt: If it's a quality application we will accept it. =) I think more then two will be getting a bit much, but two and on different teams is do-able. Just make sure once it starts you don't neglect one or the other and it'll be fine and dandy like cotton candy.

As for it not being up and running yet, the original plan was to wait until there were at least five of each group. And as some one noted Admon has no one, well, that makes things a bit tricky. So we're having to re-work some things at the moment and it would be most appreciated if you would hold on to your figurative horses.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 am
Hm, well I'm new here so just stopped in to say that. Yeah... You guys seem pretty cool from what I've read in the last page or so ^^  

SuperDoors

Xeroxer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:26 am
Yoder
I had to edit your post. Swearing isn't all that big of a deal in my book, but "mature" words are serious to me.

"mature"?

what's the difference between profanity and mature words?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 am
I'm still contemplating on forcing my creative juices to flow so I can finish the history on the character I was thinking about playing for Admon's crew... Might not, though, if nobody else is gonna join his side.... ninja  

Disturbing Tale Teller

Fuzzy Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:44 am
I was tempted to go to Admon's side . . . but Octave was allowed to be a Devia. Had that gone sour . . . twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31 am
Okay okay, I guess my perception of the range of characters and powers we have so far was a bit skewed. I've just been thinking about my character, and how she's pretty useless for battle. She's good for support, true. I guess I'm just focusing on the action aspects of it, and not so much the personal connections, which seems to have been the focus of Galvan I. *shrug* What can I say, I like action movies and books and such.

I guess I just don't want it to turn into two teams (or three, if we get any for Admon) of semi-effectual fighters staring at each other and just talking or something. I suppose I should be more trusting. ;3

Edit: Welcome DFN!  

Cobalt

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am
I'm interested too. I'm a passionate defender of free speech and want to know where you draw the lien between swearing and mature language.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:16 am
*pops in to say hi to the new peoples*

why has this thread been so.........argumentative, lately?  

Pandali

AlwynRowanwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:17 pm
what is the difference*couldnt help but put her 2 cents in*

wow is that skreemer havent seen you in awhile

*gluggles* everyone  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:25 pm
Pandali
*pops in to say hi to the new peoples*

why has this thread been so.........argumentative, lately?

I'm not compltely sure, but if I hadn't been practicing a lot of tongue-holding lately I would've been adding to it whee  

Merlinic Matrices

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:54 pm
Welcome, DFN!

profanity discussion
Profanity (some of it containing adult language) is less sexual in nature than mature language. A 13-year old coming by an seeing "s**t" isn't as big of a deal as them seeing "v*****a." Hopefully that amde my point clear enough.

I could try to make an Admon character, but I don't know...

profanity discussion continued
As to freedom of speech:
http://www.comportone.com/connie/articles/freespch.htm

Additionally, if the speech or noise is disturbing, it can be regulated. Have you ever heard of noise pollution? Profanity could be considered such, because it is grating on the ear to some and not suitable for all audiences. If speech isn't proper for all ages to hear, then it shouldn't be uttered. This is a bit extreme, and I know people will swaer anyway, but profanity is fairly meaningless. The words themselves are mere fillers, usually not retaining their original meaning by any means. I mean no disrespect towards those who swear, as you do what you feel you should, but my personal opinion is that mature language, above all, should be kept to a minimum. While you may argue that profanity can be heard by all ages and groups of people without incident, mature language definitely can't. Children shouldn't be exposed to such things at young ages. I know my stand is strong and that this is starting to delve into a more philosophical/parenting debate, but I stand by my personal beliefs.

Companies wouldn't make profanity filters if it weren't something people didn't want to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:07 pm
I actually feel that, while some of the words you bleeped perhaps deserved it when considering a young audience, "v****a" shouldn't necessarily be one of them. Slang terms for said bodily part, perhaps, but that word you would find in any respectable biology book. Quite possibly even a biology book meant for fourth graders, if I remember sex-ed right.  

Merlinic Matrices

Electric Kool-Aid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:26 pm
*Hopes she isn't adding fuel to the fire* I agree with Merlinic actually. But I think a lot depends on context.

Words that are taboo are just as degrading as words that are fine to say and in the end words are just words, although they can be hurtful in nature. I'd just say to everyone "USE YOUR OWN GOOD JUDGMENT AND DISCRETION and IF IT'S NOT PARTICULARLY NECESSARY YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE TO USE IT"

*apologies for abusive use of caps lock as well*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 pm
You're completely right, EKA.
Above all, Gaia is PG-13, knocking out slang sexual words and f- and c-.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Panpear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:28 pm
Pansa
*Gives Danadien a cookie*

@Cobalt: If it's a quality application we will accept it. =) I think more then two will be getting a bit much, but two and on different teams is do-able. Just make sure once it starts you don't neglect one or the other and it'll be fine and dandy like cotton candy.

As for it not being up and running yet, the original plan was to wait until there were at least five of each group. And as some one noted Admon has no one, well, that makes things a bit tricky. So we're having to re-work some things at the moment and it would be most appreciated if you would hold on to your figurative horses.

Thank you.

I was thinking if no one went for Admon's team, I'd make another one, as I had another idea. But yes, 3 is a bit much, unless one doesn't show up very much or something. XD

But if anyone needs power ideas, brainstorm off me. I get many. XD  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games