Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Cat69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:05 pm
@ Gale - wow that'a pretty nice random gift!!!!

my high school had french (you have to take it till gr 10 or 11 in Canada since an official language), spanish, japanese, mandarin, latin and something else but i can't remember what. i took french from gr 4 till gr 11 (but it was gr 12 level), and spanish for 5 yrs. in uni i took one semester of spanish and a year of german....i want to pick all of them up again tho....i completely mangle anything i try to say most of the time....even in english!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 pm
*Blinks in amazement* Dude people said hi and welcomed me .... I feel special. heart

My husband is so cute when he sleeps!!! I want to glomp him but he's sooo tired!!!  

FallenAngel0127

Mou

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm
Not a language person... like at all. So I won't comment on your language discussions. In my university you can study loads and loads of languages, but never really was/am not still, interested in them, so I haven't investigated further. A friend of mine studies japanese though.

I think breakfast is really important, I'm always half asleep until I get my proper breakfast, then I'm fine again. It truelly wakes me up.

*skitters off to the crew forums*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:51 am
FallenAngel0127
*Blinks in amazement* Dude people said hi and welcomed me .... I feel special. heart

My husband is so cute when he sleeps!!! I want to glomp him but he's sooo tired!!!

I like it when I am glomped, even while sleeping. You should do it to him from time to time. 3nodding  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:39 am
I'd like to learn Latin and Farsi, but both are out of my reach right no. My dad could teach me farsi, but being able to speak Farsi is completely different than being able to teach it.

I wish I had a friend like that, Gale. lol

Wow, not too many married people float around on Gaia.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:44 am
Snowman-forgive my ignorance but what is Farsi?

My highschool has crappy language programs. You can do French or Spanish, and I did French for 3 years and ended up learning Franglish, so I quit. But we've had 3 exchange students from Japan, so I'm really happy about getting into Japanese at the university cause I'll be able to talk with them...

Electric Kool-Aid

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 am
I'd have been surprised if you actually knew what it was, because not many know about it. Farsi is the language of Iran. Such, it uses the same alphabet as Arabic does, but it is an entire different language (like how English and French use the same letters but are still separate languages with similarities in some words). My father is persian (from Iran), so he knows Farsi fluently. I have always been interested in it, but it is one of the hardest languages to learn (English and Mandarin being the only ones that top it).  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 am
Hey everybody. I just joined this morning and figured I'd say hello. I'm still fishin' around for a RP to join up.  

Sakamoto Ryuu

Electric Kool-Aid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:36 am
Wow Yoder that's awesome thanks for explaining! I wish I lived in a bi-lingual house...

Welcome Sakamoto. Hope you find a good one!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:07 am
I still don't get how english can be concidered a hard language to learn... seriously, it's so similar to all the other latin based languages. I found it pretty easy to learn when I started out (age about... 10 I think).

I found swedish pretty useful in Iceland... knowing swedish I understood Norwegian well and Danish alright as long as they spoke slowly. Heck I even understood Icelandic slightly.

Finnish on the other hand is such an extremely stupidly weird and complicated language. Even though I speak and write it fluently I still find it hard... and it didn't even help that I spoke finnish every day the whole summer. I still find it so ugly -__- (I so live in the wrong country)

I wish I had one parent from some completely different country... like italy or spain. Then I'd know 4 languages fluently almost automatically, fun stuff! (especially as I can't seem to learn languages by studying them in school)

I think hispanic or mandarin would be very useful to know 3nodding

Welcome Sakamoto... and hello Electric!  

Mou

Gale OverDrive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:15 pm
Welcome, Polo! Or should I say, Sakamoto?

Better join a good RP!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm
English is really hard to learn as a second language because it involves lots of rules...and then exceptions. Like in Japanese every vowel is always pronounced the same way, where as in English you can say "father" or "Bat" and the "a" sounds totally different. Also English has consonants that act strange, like the c making and s sound, and silent letters... And then a lot of grammar is counter intuitive, especially if you're used to a different word order, and when you throw in regional accents (like southern, or British) boy are we lucky that anyone gets what anyone else is saying!

in addition-welcome back Mou!

Electric Kool-Aid

Mou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 pm
Try Icelandic ninja 'll' is pronounced 'ddtl', 'รก' is 'au' etc. Or Russian, 'p' is 'r' and all kinds of other "normal" letters are actually pronounced differently. So confusing! But yeah I get what you mean, I must see it as easy because I've been showered with english from TV my whole life. We're so lucky we don't have subbed shows!

French is the mother of exceptions though... or at least I think so xD Now THAT is a hard language.

Have any of you ever encountered a language you simply can't mimic/pronounce properly? Danish is a language that is extremely hard to pronounce if you're not taught it from a very early age. Their sounds are just crazy!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Hey! I took French for 4 years! I should be able to answer this! Yes, you're right. French DOES have a LOT of exceptions now that I look back on it.

It was quite riveting.

"Est-tu alle en cine?" Did you go to the movies?
-in comparison to-
"J'ai nage au la mer" I swam at the beach.

I had to use two different conjugations to say two phrases in the same tense:past. (Est is a conjugation of etre which is the verb of "to be", and ai is a conjugation of avoir which is the verb of 'to have")

Come to think of it. I don't even know if that's right anymore . . .  

Gale OverDrive

Electric Kool-Aid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:06 pm
My friend was in the Netherlands, and she'll write something out and then pronounce it and how she gets those sounds out of those letters is totally beyond me...

I love languages so it's awesome
unfortunately my french teacher sucked, so I can really only speak English thus far...

She was nuts. she was like "Grammar be damned! You shall learn ONLY vocabulary!" so I can say a bunch of random words, like "pete" (fart->one boy never figured out that you use the "J'ai" form with this and always said "Je suis pete" lit. I am fart) and "foque"(seal->a favorite of the immature males in my class who used this word in the most random sentences ie. Un foque dans le douche) Not to mention that she didn't correct you for spelling...but wtf, she's the principal's wife so she can't be fired.

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games