Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Númenórë - A LOTR Community
Eambar: Off-Topic Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hironaur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:30 pm
Not to break up your Messenger discussion at all, but did anything worthy happen while I was away? Any new inside jokes? Any Falathrim and/or Longbow pictures in the photoalbum? You get the picture...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:53 pm
Interesting fact: I can read and write English, Arabic, and French. While reading the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, I noticed that most of the names Tolkien uses are actually derived from Arabic. "Arda" for example is equivalent to the Arabic word "Ard" meaning Earth. "Ainur" is similar to "Nur" which means Light. "Maia" is an Arabic name and I'm pretty sure "Maiar" means soemthing else but I cant' rememebr what. "Lebenin" sounds awefully similar to Lebanon (coincidentally that's where I was born). "Aman" is the Arabic spelling of the country Oman which also means "Believers" or the "land of Believers". "Sindar" I believe is a type of tree. "Maedhros" is Arabic spelling for "Studied". "Gondor" sounds like "Gondour" a brand of chocolate in Lebanon.
Well there's lots more I've noticed but that's enough for now. I think Tolkien might have learned some Arabic during WW1 and has used and altered alot of it in his books. Quite clever when you think of it. What do you guys think?  

SYFFER

Lithwen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:06 pm
SYFFER, that's awesome ^.^ Hehe, Maedhros means "studied". Suddenly I've got the urge to break out my textbooks (I DO have two exams tomorrow and all...).

Hironaur, nothing new really, at least no on the picture front. But Fala is breaking down....
As for inside jokes, I've given up on keeping track.

And how come I hardly have anyone on my MSN? sad  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:13 pm
Lithwen
SYFFER, that's awesome ^.^ Hehe, Maedhros means "studied". Suddenly I've got the urge to break out my textbooks (I DO have two exams tomorrow and all...).

Hironaur, nothing new really, at least no on the picture front. But Fala is breaking down....
As for inside jokes, I've given up on keeping track.

And how come I hardly have anyone on my MSN? sad
I think alot of people's MSN's are down lately. Mine seems to be working fine. Add me if you wanna talk to someone. and Fala's breakin down? xd  

SYFFER

Elainya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:28 pm
Alfirin IV
Well, this is completely off topic...

The main characters in the novel I'm reading are about to do the freaknasty in a church, before going to break the guy's father out of jail.
Did I mention that those two go at it like rabbits - like every twenty pages? Oh, and there's indians. A whole lot of them. They're cool.

I've got to stop reading romance novels. I really must.

0,o The character in a novel I'm reading right now has tried to rob three people, but he's messed it up all three times. And he's supposedly the best theif in the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:37 pm
Elainya
Alfirin IV
Well, this is completely off topic...

The main characters in the novel I'm reading are about to do the freaknasty in a church, before going to break the guy's father out of jail.
Did I mention that those two go at it like rabbits - like every twenty pages? Oh, and there's indians. A whole lot of them. They're cool.

I've got to stop reading romance novels. I really must.

0,o The character in a novel I'm reading right now has tried to rob three people, but he's messed it up all three times. And he's supposedly the best theif in the world.
The book I'm reading right now is about philosophy. It investigates weither religion is necessary or is it a bunch of stories encrypted into our spongelike childish minds and that we grow up not knowing if it's real or not. It also talks about the security people get from a controlled and organized world where people fear a greater power and thus reserve their natural urges such as murder and violence. Interesting facts I learned from that book: Babies are born without knee caps, all your blood filters through your kidneys every 4 minutes, and children have the natural phsycological urge to murder their parents biggrin  

SYFFER

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:43 pm
Sounds more like a psychoanalysis type of thing, Syffer.

Would someone be exceedingly kind and explain the "Church of Gil-Estel" thing to me? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:48 pm
About messengers; Gaim or Trillian people!

SYFFER; that's pretty cool! I wonder why no one ever mentions any Asian/Middle Eastern languages when talking about Tolkien. Its always Finnish and other European ones. Then again, Tolkien wasn't exactly a traveler... whatever.

OMG....my brother and sister are watching a REAALLY CREEPY movie. Something called "The Princess and the Pea Chronicles" Imagine an "Asian" barn owl in Confucius looking clothes and explaining Newton's laws. And then a bunch of pigs who go to science conventions. And a crow that is a weird inventor, and invented a recipe for chocolate chip cookies (but they keep exploding) who's trying to earn the "Nobel Pea Prize." I'm scared.  

zylaxidia

SYFFER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:50 pm
Nimbrethil
Sounds more like a psychoanalysis type of thing, Syffer.

Would someone be exceedingly kind and explain the "Church of Gil-Estel" thing to me? sweatdrop
Hehe I know. I'm always critical of what people tell me so I come up with my own principles 3nodding .
Sorry beats me. It seems to be the new rave in this guild cause everyone is talkin about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:52 pm
zylaxidia
About messengers; Gaim or Trillian people!

SYFFER; that's pretty cool! I wonder why no one ever mentions any Asian/Middle Eastern languages when talking about Tolkien. Its always Finnish and other European ones. Then again, Tolkien wasn't exactly a traveler... whatever.

OMG....my brother and sister are watching a REAALLY CREEPY movie. Something called "The Princess and the Pea Chronicles" Imagine an "Asian" barn owl in Confucius looking clothes and explaining Newton's laws. And then a bunch of pigs who go to science conventions. And a crow that is a weird inventor, and invented a recipe for chocolate chip cookies (but they keep exploding) who's trying to earn the "Nobel Pea Prize." I'm scared.
I think whoever wrote that story must have been high when he worte it xd  

SYFFER

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:55 pm
SYFFER
I think alot of people's MSN's are down lately. Mine seems to be working fine. Add me if you wanna talk to someone. and Fala's breakin down? xd

My one account I used to use stopped liking me and poofed. Which was the one I had people from websites on.

And I know I had some people here on it -__- I just can't remember who.

So anyways, peoples can add me at haywardsam@hotmail.com now because I took it out of my profile because random people would add me and it was confusing.

About Gaim: Gaim is cool, but I don't use it anymore. Mainly because..well, I only use it when I'm on Linux because I need to use it then. And I rarely go on my Suse anymore. Which is kind of pointless because it's taking up a lot of space on my computer, and Windows doesn't recognize that it's there. My harddrive is partitioned into three spots. One for Windows, one for Linux, and one little 500mb spot for putting files from Linux in if I want to access them in Windows xd

My rambling is done now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:57 pm
Ahhhh computer talk is like music to my ears blaugh  

SYFFER

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:18 pm
Haha, yeah, isn't it great?

Now the problem is I want to go on Linux, but that would require restarting my computer and then booting into Suse instead of into Windows. And I'm feeling lazy right now, so oh well. Tomorrow I'll go on once I get home from the hospital 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:22 pm
Nimbrethil

Thou heathens! Can you not see the light that is our Saviour? Fools!  

Falathrim

Zach McClure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:23 pm
Zurgi
Haha, yeah, isn't it great?

Now the problem is I want to go on Linux, but that would require restarting my computer and then booting into Suse instead of into Windows. And I'm feeling lazy right now, so oh well. Tomorrow I'll go on once I get home from the hospital 3nodding

*Tilts head* Hospital? Are ya okay?  
Númenórë - A LOTR Community

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games