Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

-[Verush]-

Dangerous Bunny

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:38 am
xXSuimitsuXx
i thnk u r rite, we need lit. ratingz Lol !!!!1!!!1!

EDIT: *dodges whatever is coming at head*

Just a few shells, grenades and moderately powerful nuclear devices. arrow  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:39 am
And I was afraid you'd send the dogs after me. Relief...  

xXSuimitsuXx

-[Verush]-

Dangerous Bunny

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 am
As a feline avatar, dogs usually don't really like me.. exclaim

PS: bbs, dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:58 am
As time passes
Even the strict fade
Leniency is allowed
illiteracy is bound to wade
Over the years I've
Come and gone
I am now but a pawn
Once was the day I was king
Literates roamed free
Enforced by the grammar police
The time has passed
Years rolling by

We need just accept
That some appreciate language more than others.

*pets the kitty*
I am also GMT + 1, but that means little to me. I'm awake pretty much all day. Go Italy.

Tanakietsu

-[Verush]-

Dangerous Bunny

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:41 am
Accepting that some like words more than others is all fine and well. However, I feel we'd have the right to gather for our RP those who like them to an equal or greater extent than we ourselves do? 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:50 am
Don't get me wrong, I agree. But there should be a level of tolerance for those who are not as...a**l about grammar and spelling. How would you form a scale, it seems kind of relative and easily swayed. sweatdrop .  

Tanakietsu

Mou

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:05 am
We want the RPR to be a place for everyone both beginners and more advanced players to RP. However we still do encourage literacy.

Your discussion reminded me of how our guild has deteriorate lately though *tear*  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 am
Right, so here goes:

First and foremost: *does the Welcome Dance for Verush*

2. I'm the one you contact about the RP 101 (or any other mod really)

3. I'm whole heartedly against literacy restrictions. While I personally really hate one liners and some other stupid mistakes, everyone starts out at a certain level and works their way up. No one is perfect to begin with and just as some people start higher than others, some start lower. The point of the RP 101 was to hopefully encourage some of the less literate members of the guild to experiment, take their time, and try new challenges. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the only people reading it are the ones who know most of the information to begin with. *sigh* Individual threads are welcome to set literacy restrictions, but I really don't think we should have a guild wide one.

And now for something completely different: Snowday! Yay! *wants to go sledding or skiing*

Electric Kool-Aid

-[Verush]-

Dangerous Bunny

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 am
From experience, I can tell you instruction threads don't really help, no. As you've said most of its readers are people who already know what the contents in. As far as literacy restrictions go, I was Aiming for the thread by thread bases. Yet it's handy to have a uniform scale for the guild as such, so there is no deviating interpretations of said scale. One thing that really pisses me off is when you put a lot of effort into an RP/post and people who join/post write 2-3 lines and that's it. gonk It's annoying for the creator, because they feel they've wasted time and effort and for others because they have nothing to post on. Used to have the same issue in chat RP where some people left it at *walks in*.

On that note, maybe you should demand effort instead of literacy restrictions. Effort based on RP 101. 3nodding make them read! o.O Shotgun reading if necessary. ( it works for weddings, so why not? D: )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 am
*is both a pacifist and conscientious objector* It's a good idea, but we really have a lot of trouble just getting people to put the [A] at the beginning of their posts. If you have a (nonviolent) solution to making people read the 101, lemme know. 3nodding  

Electric Kool-Aid

-[Verush]-

Dangerous Bunny

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:27 am
Electric Kool-Aid
*is both a pacifist and conscientious objector* It's a good idea, but we really have a lot of trouble just getting people to put the [A] at the beginning of their posts. If you have a (nonviolent) solution to making people read the 101, lemme know. 3nodding

I guess a non-violent approach would be to ask them to read the RP 101 thread and try to post in accordance with it. Really the only way to make them do something is to restrict them in some way from what they want to do. Hence, if they are unwilling to put effort into your RP, you ask a mod to remove their posts or you enter a special post where they are written out of the story until they feel like putting some effort into things.

I can understand and appreciate that you want to include everyone and make everyone happy and all, but it's quite impossible. However, you should look at both sides of the story. They happily post 3 sentences with little content other than the bare necessities, while others like 3 paragraphs detailing actions, feelings, contributions to the plot, etc.

I don't really believe there is a non-forceful way to have people put effort into things, because they do not believe they are not putting enough effort into things. And forgive me for the following statement. Having a non-interference policy like you suggest is at the heart of that assumption ( gonk *gets banned for heinous crimes against mod-hood*) It's true, however. The first step to making people advance is to tell them they're falling behind. That in itself is rather annoying as well.

On the [A] thing... deletion of unmarked threads 3nodding They won't do it more than twice. domokun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:06 pm
I think you have somewhat harsh methods Verush. This is supposed to be a pretty friendly guild and everyone makes mistakes.

However yes, the thread creators can if they feel it is needed perhaps hint that they would like a certain player to put in more effort... nothing wrong with that, as long as they put it the right way. We don't want to scare people away immediately.

If you're looking for more literate RPs, then I'm pretty sure there are some out there. Unfortunately, even though I'm a mod, I'm not familiar with all the RPs, so I can't guide you to a specific one.

And yes, people who give you nothing are a pain in the a**. I prefer to post with people above my RP level, so much more demanding, so much more fun. *sigh*

Ps. Mou dyed her hair dark again <3  

Mou

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:26 pm
Well, officially It was my last day of college before a three week holiday today, though I do an extra hour on fridays, spending the rest of the time raising heck in bishop.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:57 pm
*is snowed in*

*watches Sui's shameless plug with amusement*
*gluggles Sui*

As do I, Gale. Anyway, low-level roleplays are necessary for those that do not wish to pout as much effort into roleplaying.

@Verush
How can violence happen through the internet? We should just bear with n00bs, hoping that they'll gorw up and assisting them should they come to see the light.

Usually requiring longer posts and better quality will scare off n00bs. Those that still persist will have their profile rejected until changed ot meet the roleplay's given standards (usually resulting in the n00b just giving up).

We as a guild have no right to impose literacy ratings upon the roleplays within. Besides the fact that it is very time-consuming and tedious, who are we to judge a matter based solely upon opion and past experience? People will do what they will, and we should let them continue. The moment we include literacy ratings is the moment we cease being a truly free community.

Demand effort. How are we to know if somebody is putting their all into a 3-liner? Or maybe they're hardly trying and coming up with 3 paragraphs. Effort alone wouldn't do. This guild will remain free for roleplay creatrors to do as they wish (provided they follow Gaia and RPR rules). Placing so many standards would hinder creativity and discourage potential newcomers from joining our guild.

So you mean to say that you would kick a newbie out of your roleplay just because they're trying to get a handle on roleplaying better than they are used to? To me, that borders on being mean.

Blatanly poitning out another's shortcomings is usually considered rude. A match of name-calling and hurt feelings never gets anybody anywhere.

Having a policy of non-interference is what keeps our guild free. Think of the staff og this guild as the government of a nation. Historically, the more the government pries into the lives of its citizens and placed stricter boundaries upon them, the more discontented the people are. Such, they will move to other countires that are nicer.

We aren't so petty as to ban somebody for diagreeing with a mod. You're entitled to your opinion.

Deleting unmarked topics? We always warn them. Heck, I frogot to do it once way back when I first began in the guild. Are you not familiar with netiquette? We should let their roleplay die through locking it if they don't correct it. That way they can harvest the information they pisted and save it. Additionally, what would the time limit be for deletion of unmarked topics? What if somebody didn't get on for a while and found that their roleplay hed vanished because they weren't online within the specified time?

I don't mean to have been rude with any of my above statements or counter-agruments.

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Mou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 pm
Yoder I think you messed up your previous post a little ~

Oh and everyone calm down, take a deep breathe... and be friends mrgreen

Love for everyone *shares*

EDIT: Okay no you didn't mess up... it's just a bit confusing @--@ Sowwy!  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games