Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Left Behind first person shooter given to wartime troops. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:51 pm
I remember reading about this game awhile ago. I didn't actually think it would come out, guess I was wrong. I bet it's a crappy game.

Seriously though, this is wrong on so many levels. I bet some of the soldiers will simply laugh at this game and take it for a work of fiction. Some however, (and I highly doubt the following) who have probably had their minds fried by the stress and strain may take it seriously and go on a rampage.

Also, Cirosan is right, why are they distributing stuff like this when they should be distributing stuff such as body armor and better equipment?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 pm
As far as I know, this is not being distributed by the government. But they are simply allowing a private organisation to send these things to the soldiers instead.  

Redem

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:34 am
Redem
As far as I know, this is not being distributed by the government. But they are simply allowing a private organisation to send these things to the soldiers instead.

Of course the government's not doing it.

They're just doing nothing to prevent it.

Like 9/11.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:39 am
Also it's an RTS not a FPS I think.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:26 pm
Damn, I love RTS's.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
Also it's an RTS not a FPS I think.

No, it's a separate game, apparently.  

ProjectOmicron88

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:06 am
*blink blink*

*blink*

You CAN'T be serious.

No.

I am in denial. crying  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:47 am
Redem

"My doctrine is this: If we see injustice occurring and do nothing to stop it, we ourselves become sharers of the guilt."
-- Anna Sewall

By that logic, the government is just as bad as the distributors for allowing them to do so. Not that I'm implying that you had that standpoint, I just thought I'd bring that point up.  

Cirosan

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 pm
Cirosan
"My doctrine is this: If we see injustice occurring and do nothing to stop it, we ourselves become sharers of the guilt."
-- Anna Sewall

By that logic, the government is just as bad as the distributors for allowing them to do so. Not that I'm implying that you had that standpoint, I just thought I'd bring that point up.

If the government was doing this, it would be a massive breach of the law. And a huge problem that needed to be dealt with. But they're not, they're allowing a private charitable organisation to send care packages, which that organisation is using to promote their political and religious ideas. Am I saying this is... ok? No, it's despicable, base manipulation of people who are already traumatised and vulnerable. But it's not illegal.
More than anything else, it's probably someone who simply didn't check what was in the "Christian aid packages" that were being sent.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:54 pm
A lil comic to express my feelings towards the subject matter. =3

Gotta love that cigar.  

Killian Darkwater

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:51 pm
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 am
i don't mean to be unchristian like and cuss but..........

that game is seriously ******** retarded. i mean.....for instance in the first couple of sentences....
Quote:

command a Christian fundamentalist army waging urban warfare in America ! On the streets of New York City ! How cool is that?

warfare is NEVER cool....forcing people to believe in something they don't or die is NOT COOL. what the HELL are they trying to do? how many more FREAKING IDIOTS MUST EXIST IN THE WORLD? stare scream domokun

*takes deep breath*

The influence of violence in video games on the population today has been in controversy since the days of the first Mortal Kombat games and even a bit earlier than that. And honestly, I don't think THIS video game in particular will be that much drastically different than any other video game that would induce violence for their players. Unless the person is either too young to tell the difference between reality and fantasy or has a mental disorder, I don't see too much concern of what influence this retarded a** video game could do.

If you really think about it, its probably no different than playing a game where you kill Nazi's the entire time. And there's plenty of games for that. In fact there's quite a large number of military based video games out on the market, and the large vast majority of the time, people play video games to unwind and don't usually pay that great of attention to detail of what the game is about especially if its something as simple as what the game play displayed in this particular game is. The simpler the game, the less likely you'll pay attention to detail. Unless the game is designed to where you have to create specific tactics and create propaganda and you have to do maybe some difficult sabotaging at the same time....however from the looks of it....

it looks like a run and shoot game almost but from 3rd person point of view. *just a sec*........I think what I'm trying to say is, the crappier the game the less you're going to care about it.

I don't see the point in them making the game and what its based on is even more ludicrous, but I don't think I'd show that much of concern of the games influence.

You have to also consider that fact that, the guys playing this game aren't in kindergarten or middle school. The youngest of the groups would be age 18 and the rest are pretty full grown adult men who I'm pretty sure can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:01 am
SaintChaos

*takes deep breath*

The influence of violence in video games on the population today has been in controversy since the days of the first Mortal Kombat games and even a bit earlier than that. And honestly, I don't think THIS video game in particular will be that much drastically different than any other video game that would induce violence for their players. Unless the person is either too young to tell the difference between reality and fantasy or has a mental disorder, I don't see too much concern of what influence this retarded a** video game could do.

If you really think about it, its probably no different than playing a game where you kill Nazi's the entire time. And there's plenty of games for that. In fact there's quite a large number of military based video games out on the market, and the large vast majority of the time, people play video games to unwind and don't usually pay that great of attention to detail of what the game is about especially if its something as simple as what the game play displayed in this particular game is. The simpler the game, the less likely you'll pay attention to detail. Unless the game is designed to where you have to create specific tactics and create propaganda and you have to do maybe some difficult sabotaging at the same time....however from the looks of it....

it looks like a run and shoot game almost but from 3rd person point of view. *just a sec*........I think what I'm trying to say is, the crappier the game the less you're going to care about it.

I don't see the point in them making the game and what its based on is even more ludicrous, but I don't think I'd show that much of concern of the games influence.

You have to also consider that fact that, the guys playing this game aren't in kindergarten or middle school. The youngest of the groups would be age 18 and the rest are pretty full grown adult men who I'm pretty sure can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

In principle I agree, however they are in an extremely stressful and dangerous situation. Any amount playing a game where you essentially convert or kill non-christians has the potential to lead to some serious problems for the troops. Given that their enemies and friends are almost entirely divided along religious grounds. Friends are mostly christians, your fellow soldiers, and the rest are non-christians. Which the game tells you to convert or kill.
That's the danger part.

Apart from that, it's just a terrible terrible game, judging from the reviews. I could never hate the soldiers so badly as to subject them to that sad  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm
Redem
SaintChaos

*takes deep breath*

In principle I agree, however they are in an extremely stressful and dangerous situation. Any amount playing a game where you essentially convert or kill non-christians has the potential to lead to some serious problems for the troops. Given that their enemies and friends are almost entirely divided along religious grounds. Friends are mostly christians, your fellow soldiers, and the rest are non-christians. Which the game tells you to convert or kill.
That's the danger part.

Apart from that, it's just a terrible terrible game, judging from the reviews. I could never hate the soldiers so badly as to subject them to that sad

i wouldn't want to subject them to that either. i still don't think theres a large cause for concern though but i could always be wrong.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Redem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:18 pm
SaintChaos
i wouldn't want to subject them to that either. i still don't think theres a large cause for concern though but i could always be wrong.

Some of these dudes are coming home with serious mental issues from it all sad
PTSD, and such.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas