Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I don't think I really belong here. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 pm
Blasphemize
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even I feel the same way you do sometimes...and I'm a moderator for this guild! gonk (Well, I don't post here as often as I used to, but that's not the point sweatdrop )

I'm the same way in real life, though. Then again, it's probably because of all of my disabilities. (Asperger's Syndrome, etc.) I have a tough time saying things in a way that makes sense and I feel overwhelmed when I see posts by people in this guild that are more intelligent and meaningful than my own. gonk

HEY. I have Asperger's too, and if some barbaric, Philistine gamer like me can make haflway-intelligent-sounding posts, so can you!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:34 pm
I understand what you mean.

I know I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in any religion and I think it's a waste of time. Scientific evidence and common sense tells us that the concept of religion is little more than creative fantasy.

Still, I have no articles, recent scientific discoveries, or years of study to share with anyone.

I understand evolution, and I believe in it.
I understand the main concept of the creation of the universe, and I believe in it, too.
I understand the ways and places that certain religions may have started.

But I have no new or in-depth information to share with anyone. Often, I've felt inferior intellectually to other Atheists, but really it's all a matter of experience. I know that I don't believe in religion, and that's just about it. But as time goes on, I know I'll learn more and more, and, eventually, I'll be able to answer complicated questions that come up in any religious debate.  

I Was The Moon

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:42 pm
Sometimes a cigar...
DAMN you guys have Asperger's!?

What do you guys focus on?
...is just a cigar.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:29 pm
Rusty Conscience

I know I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in any religion and I think it's a waste of time. Scientific evidence and common sense tells us that the concept of religion is little more than creative fantasy.

Still, I have no articles, recent scientific discoveries, or years of study to share with anyone.

I understand the main concept of the creation of the universe, and I believe in it, too.

But I have no new or in-depth information to share with anyone. Often, I've felt inferior intellectually to other Atheists, but really it's all a matter of experience. I know that I don't believe in religion, and that's just about it. But as time goes on, I know I'll learn more and more, and, eventually, I'll be able to answer complicated questions that come up in any religious debate.

Creation of the universe? wink

Kidding aside I think that it's really good that, at your age, you're coming here to learn and grow as a person. Remember that everything we say should be put under just as intense scrutiny as any religious claim because being a smart person and an intellectually free person demands the responsibility of testing claims.  

Theophrastus

I Was The Moon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 pm
Theophrastus
Rusty Conscience

Creation of the universe? wink

Kidding aside I think that it's really good that, at your age, you're coming here to learn and grow as a person. Remember that everything we say should be put under just as intense scrutiny as any religious claim because being a smart person and an intellectually free person demands the responsibility of testing claims.

The universe came from somewhere, did it not? Believing that things have always been is like believing that God has always been...

I know...how silly, using a God argument in the Atheist's guild...

But I still believe that everything has a start and an end. I'm sure you're familiar with the Big Bang Theory? Open and Closed universe theories?

And...are you following me? Jesus, I'm a member for one day, and all of my posts are being critiqued everywhere I go! gonk xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:20 pm
I wouldn't bother with it if I didn't know you were kickass enough to handle it. biggrin

And yeah, pretty much nobody has an answer to where the universe came from, just how the present one formed, so I'm not tryin' to act like I can give a better answer. I just try to avoid terms that might hint at a designer, ya know.  

Theophrastus

I Was The Moon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:26 pm
I figure that nature is a designer.

If you believe in evolution, you believe in nature's design, which is adaptation to the changes everything goes through...ok maybe I'm just rambling on...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:34 pm
Hmm. I advocate the popularly accepted "blind designer" theory that's presented most famously by Richard Dawkins. It basically posits that evolution is not the result of intentional design but of non-random replicators reacting to a random environment.

The term he uses is "designoid" where things better match the function than previous forms, but that there is no foresight to evolution. You can find more from his amazing Growing Up in the Universe series. Specifically, this series of videos on YouTube. Enjoy! biggrin

I'm really enjoying engaging with you in these discussions, Rusty (can I call you that?). You're bringing some much needed activity to this evening. biggrin  

Theophrastus

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:38 am
Rusty Conscience
The universe came from somewhere, did it not? Believing that things have always been is like believing that God has always been...

I know...how silly, using a God argument in the Atheist's guild...

But I still believe that everything has a start and an end. I'm sure you're familiar with the Big Bang Theory? Open and Closed universe theories?

Believing any speculation about the universe pre-big bang is a bit on the silly side. We have absolutely nothing to base speculation on, even physics starts to break down the further back we look. All we can really say is... "I don't know". It's as honest an answer as you'll get.
The big bang is simply a recount of the observable history of the universe, we reach a point where we simply stop being able to see anything further.

Rusty Conscience
And...are you following me? Jesus, I'm a member for one day, and all of my posts are being critiqued everywhere I go! icon_gonk.gif icon_xd.gif

Gotta love sceptics wink

Rusty Conscience
I figure that nature is a designer.

If you believe in evolution, you believe in nature's design, which is adaptation to the changes everything goes through...ok maybe I'm just rambling on...

The blind watchmaker, as Dawkins called it smile

Worth a watch. (no pun intended)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 am
I think the explanation of non-belief as stated in the first post is exactly how everyone in our society ought to be thinking. Religion is just an old myth taken too seriously by too many people, and hopefully fluency in this particular mythology will only be useful in the ancient history departments of large universities.

A religious background is a blessing and a curse. It has allowed me to think carefully through all of the minutia of a couple different religions, and has given me the ability to articulate my refutations of God. It also means I've spent countless valuable hours sitting through ridiculous moralizing lectures, reading drivel, and arguing with morons.  

reverie0312

I Was The Moon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Theo:

Well, obviously nature doesn't have a brain xd .

You can call me whatever you want, provided it isn't offensive or horrible.

And I'm so glad that I've entertained you. rolleyes mrgreen

Redem:

"I don't know" is my favorite answer. Keeps me out of trouble.
Mother: Shayla, who ate the last cookie?
Me: Uh...I don't know? eek

I love skeptics and puns. whee 3nodding  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas