Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
The Other Teasing Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hello again!
  Hiya!
  Who are you again?
View Results

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:23 pm
To quoth and to believe are two entirely different things, Nova.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:17 pm
When you say "to Quoth" do you mean "to say"?

[tiss a pretty word if thats what you meant to say...though It says in my dictionary that its archiac for "said"not say]

If you do mean "to say" than I should like for you to elaborate.  

NovaKing

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:48 pm
It's one thing to say you won't let it get to you and another to execute it when the time comes.

Like saying you'll say no to drugs, but then when everyone's there with all that peer pressure, it's hard to do what you know you should.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:20 pm
Oh please, Reese. No one says no to drugs. There's just several million people in the world who haven't had to make that choice, is all. rolleyes

Personally, drugs don't exist. They are outside the bubble of doom.  

KirbyVictorious

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 pm
Reese_Roper
It's one thing to say you won't let it get to you and another to execute it when the time comes.

Like saying you'll say no to drugs, but then when everyone's there with all that peer pressure, it's hard to do what you know you should.

Not to make claims that I can't really back (as we are on the internet and we have no real evidence of past occurences) but I did not allow any such verbal abuse get to me when I was confronted by it.

I don't know about you guys, but in the end, I consider the choice, not the judgment of the choice, more important.

So you can care deeply about every little thing that those around you think...
but I, for one, will remain inclined not to.
I've honestly got much more pressing things to worry about.

I suppose that makes verbal abuse merely a personal prefference.

[also, who would want to deffer their natural pleasures for short highs that usually result in physical or mental damage?]  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm
Well hie-dee-ho for you and yours. But some people just can't do that. What should we say, "Well, I can ignore it, so you just need to suck it up!"?

Not everyone is that strong. If they were, there wouldn't be so many people in need of therapy. Or so many children torn away from their homes due to verbal abuse.

Not to be rude or anything, but it's exactly this attitude that makes the problem worse. "Don't let it get to you. What they say doesn't matter." That does nothing to stop the problem. It's bullying, plain and simple. And it's WRONG. Whether you let it hurt you or not, it should be STOPPED.

Well, Lyssa, when you get out of the hospital, you gonna have to write some more thought-provoking pieces. Gets my blood a-raring.  

Reese_Roper

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:01 pm
Verbal abusers should be punched hard and repeatedly in the face.

Of course, none of it ever bothers me. I barely recognize it. But that's because I have a bubble. Not everyone has a bubble. I think everyone would be happier if everyone had a bubble, but there we are.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:42 pm
My bubble was popped the day they found out I was German (you'd think my name would have tipped them off beforehand, but oh well) and started calling me a Nazi. stare Now they simply chip away at my shell.

(By the way, I wasn't done ranting yet. Just had to go to bed.)

Anyway, Nova, verbal abuse really is not fun for the person being belittled. In my house, it's what I go through day after day after day. I'm called a slob, a cow, a pig, numerous swear words, and some other things I just don't want to repeat. I don't take it to heart, because I know I'm not any of things I'm called, but it still hurts to know people think that way about me, people close to me that I am supposed to trust.

And ever heard of Columbine? What do you think happened, those kids just decided "Hey, why don't we go shoot up the place, that might be fun!"? If you haven't heard the real reason, look it up, or, like I have, talk to a survivor. It might enlighten you.  

Reese_Roper

NovaKing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:56 pm
Reese_Roper
Well hie-dee-ho for you and yours. But some people just can't do that. What should we say, "Well, I can ignore it, so you just need to suck it up!"?

Not everyone is that strong. If they were, there wouldn't be so many people in need of therapy. Or so many children torn away from their homes due to verbal abuse.

Not to be rude or anything, but it's exactly this attitude that makes the problem worse. "Don't let it get to you. What they say doesn't matter." That does nothing to stop the problem. It's bullying, plain and simple. And it's WRONG. Whether you let it hurt you or not, it should be STOPPED.

Well, Lyssa, when you get out of the hospital, you gonna have to write some more thought-provoking pieces. Gets my blood a-raring.

Your right, It would be great if verbal abuse could stop. Unfortunately, right now, it doesn't look as though all of us are willing to stop brandishing around words without taking into acount those who might be hurt by said words.

I just thought that it might be a nice change if someone suggested a remedy to a problem as oppose to complaining about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:01 pm
That's not a remedy, it's ignoring the problem.

A remedy is what was mentioned in the last paragraph of her essay. Tell people that it's wrong. Tell children when they're young that it's wrong. Explain to people why it's wrong. Stand up for the one being picked on. So you can't stop everyone. What you CAN do is decrease the problem.  

Reese_Roper

NovaKing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm
Reese_Roper
My bubble was popped the day they found out I was German (you'd think my name would have tipped them off beforehand, but oh well) and started calling me a Nazi. stare Now they simply chip away at my shell.

(By the way, I wasn't done ranting yet. Just had to go to bed.)

Anyway, Nova, verbal abuse really is not fun for the person being belittled. In my house, it's what I go through day after day after day. I'm called a slob, a cow, a pig, numerous swear words, and some other things I just don't want to repeat. I don't take it to heart, because I know I'm not any of things I'm called, but it still hurts to know people think that way about me, people close to me that I am supposed to trust.

And ever heard of Columbine? What do you think happened, those kids just decided "Hey, why don't we go shoot up the place, that might be fun!"? If you haven't heard the real reason, look it up, or, like I have, talk to a survivor. It might enlighten you.

Im perfectly aware of the Columbine incident. -_- But please, go on, tell me what your solution is. Are you saying that you've come up with a plan thats better than not giving those silly little children, who go about yelling out words just because they dont have anything better to say, any attention? The problem either must be confronted on a wide scale, or suffocated from lack of result. Both of which are aplied viably by the way, with the first one already in action by several groups.

Im not saying that I think verbal abuse isn't a bad thing, I was just pushing a solution. There's no need to get snippy.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 pm
Reese_Roper
That's not a remedy, it's ignoring the problem.

A remedy is what was mentioned in the last paragraph of her essay. Tell people that it's wrong. Tell children when they're young that it's wrong. Explain to people why it's wrong. Stand up for the one being picked on. So you can't stop everyone. What you CAN do is decrease the problem.

yeah well a bunch of parents don't and a whole lot of them dont really like to read or listen to anything they dont think has anything to do with them.

Standing up for the picked on goes without saying...

I'm offering an immediate solution, granted only to the individual but a solution none the less.  

NovaKing

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:39 pm
it isn't a solution, Nova. Generally, solutions work.

Verbal abuse is a dangerous thing. It made Kamile snap. O.o Well, not entirely verbal stuff, but...verbal is one small step away from physical if you ask me. That whole warlike tendency of humans doesn't constrain itself so easily with just words.

In the end, words will fail to express human emotions, because no one will believe them anymore. And writing will die.

But conversely, if people would just READ more this would never happen anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:46 pm
KirbyVictorious
it isn't a solution, Nova. Generally, solutions work.

Verbal abuse is a dangerous thing. It made Kamile snap. O.o Well, not entirely verbal stuff, but...verbal is one small step away from physical if you ask me. That whole warlike tendency of humans doesn't constrain itself so easily with just words.

In the end, words will fail to express human emotions, because no one will believe them anymore. And writing will die.

But conversely, if people would just READ more this would never happen anyway.

Words have been around way to long to die. If they were supposed to die people would have stopped using them and started to beat eachother to death long ago.

And indeed that second statement isn't true. Words can be a powerful ally in constraining the warlike tendency of humans. Note they can't subsitute enforcment, but they can be a powerful ally.

And is there anything specific that we should read kirbs? razz

[I once had stromy from sea lab 2021 give our school an entire lecture on how powerful words were at our annual young authors confrence...I dont remember any of it, but who cares; STORMY WAS AT OUR SCHOOL!]  

NovaKing

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:14 pm
Well, there is a specific book that you haven't gotten past chapter 13 of yet, Nova. wink  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff