Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, My parents are christian, and they are making me... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oracle for Hire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:28 pm
Theophrastus
Tschudy
Just walk up, say "Mom, Dad, I'm Atheist" and be done with it. Just dont overdo it like my friend did. Kid spent a night in juvy for pointing a sword (that i bought him at GenCon) at his dad. His parents eventually accepted it tho.

Then I'd say that dude has some pretty chill parents.

Well, yes his dad is kind of a stoner and his mom was a hippie in the 60's and still is.

As to the one above you, If youre parents disown you because of a religious choice then that would mean they werent very good parents to begin with.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:45 am
Just go through it like i did. Its not that bad (they don't try to kill you... trust me). I just didn't say amen in the prayers and tried best not to lie. i even admitted to the bishop when i went up to the stand to be confirmed that i didn't believe( he asks something like "Do you believe in the holy spirit?"... i said no).

its not to bad  

speadskater

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:22 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Theophrastus
First off there's this thread.
Second off you gotta decided whether or not you want peaceable relations with your family (will they flip out and treat you like crap, or will they be understanding?)? The above link has lots of other members' advice.

I'm not completely open yet, but rather than being Catholic, my Mother and stepfather (I'm not sure about my dad's beliefs) follow the denomination of Baptist. In my opinion, Baptists are the nuisance of the bunch, but if I were to get dragged into some long term religion thing, I'd go ahead and tell them.
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:16 pm
I don't know what to say...

My mom is pretty cool with it so far but she does think it's a phase.

I would just drop hints... slowly wean away from all of the religious stuff. Perhaps you could just tell them that you would prefer another church, like Methodist or something.

Athesta  

Athesta

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:59 am
Gah.
I was faced with the same thing you were about two years ago.
I tried to get out of it best I could but I ended up having to go through with it anyway.

I think you kinda just have to let it go...I mean it's a spiritual thing...it's not like it actually means anything unless you believe it.
Lol, I sure don't.
Didn't mean a thing to me at all...I just found it a wee bit insulting that my parents wouldn't respect my descision is all.
stare

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces