Monsters
  Nature
  Remake-an-old-project
  Something else (please post!)
View Results

Maimy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:56 am
Meh, it needn't be stickied, if each review is a separate post it'll get bumped when it's updated anyway... I probably won't have time to do anything about it for a couple of days anyway, I'm back at uni tomorrow mad

It'd probably be better if the contests are once-in-a-while anyway, then they could be held around the times when people ususally get time off - summer, xmas etc - there might be more entries that way xp & a MC would be a great prize, if nothing else they can be sold in a month or two's time for a nice chunk of gold. Besides, it shouldn't be about the prize but the taking part! 3nodding Hehe.

A newsletter sounds a good idea, it would help keep people's interest in the guild if nothing else smile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 pm
Maybe I could alternate contests and just-for-fun themes.. hrmm..

Go ahead and make the thread when you have time! Sounds like a good resource. I don't really use books much though.

NEED MOAR DISCUSSIONZ gonk The posting rate is dropping off a bit, are people getting bored already? sweatdrop I'm not sure how to inspire people to post more. More open-eneded topics maybe?  

Chisa
Captain

kiersin

Invisible Phantom

10,850 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:04 am
it's hard to post when you are doing crafts  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am
Yeah, I just had my first week back at uni so laptop time has been minimal XD I've spend maybe 2 waking hours- total - at home over thurs/fri X_X  

Maimy
Crew

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Fair enough xd I'll try to keep things as interesting as I can anyway!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 pm
I'm going to be working on the monthly newsletter over the next couple of days and will probably have it up within the month. I'll be converting one of my mules to a guild mule and all newsletters will be posted in the mule's journal, as well as being announced here in the guild ^_^ The first issue will be PMed out to everyone so they know where to subscribe to see later issues.

Getting up to a month since the guild started, and almost 50 members how exciting whee  

Chisa
Captain

Faustuas

Adorable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 am
Ya know something, the craft swap thread kinda got me thinking about materials and how sometimes we don't always ahve the money to go out and get them but but if we had a thread in which we could ask one another for certian materials like threads and paints and such(jsut nothing too big) the msot we'd be paying for is the packiaging and shipping costs which shouldnt be too much, but to make sure we also but limit on either the amount we ask for or the size. we'd be helping one another out in materials too . Kinda like a trade thise for that type of thing  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:24 pm
Well I was thinking the craft swap could be something like that - including raw materials as well as things people have made. I think the main thing is to keep it as fair and even as possible - I don't want people feeling that they're contributing far more than they're getting or vice versa.

It would be good in terms of things that are a bit harder to find, like cute fabrics which seem to be different wherever you go. Or say, I have the materials to make clay tools cheaply and relatively easily whereas someone might have to pay a lot for them in an art shop; stuff like that biggrin  

Chisa
Captain

Faustuas

Adorable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:18 pm
yeah g iwas kinda woondeirng about the whole how whole how to make it trades air thing and such . Another thing that came to mind was what if there was thread in which a group project went around being sent and worked on ,it would be interesting to see the end result, but ialso know not everyone in the guild would be able to work on it but they could contribute some raw materials or somethng if they wanted. of course tis only an idea and a rough one at that  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm
Maybe a post/sticky explaining the different types of clay and things there are out there. I don't know about anyone else, but a little mini guide somewhere would help me understand what some people are talking about sweatdrop  

BOOMwalla

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm
Hrmm... sort of a glossary of crafting terms perhaps? Sounds like a good idea, although it'll have to be a collaborative effort since I'm quite new to a lot of this myself xd

@Faustuas: I've seen things like that... it's just a bit hard since we have so many different mediums, experience levels and geographic locations, so I'm not sure it would work so well sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:07 am
I like the ideas of allowing repaints and such customizations since there are some exceptional artists who choose that medium. That would include those that use action figures, fashion dolls and kits.

I also suggest a subforum for the different crafting materials and people's experiences with them (part of the guide of materials perhaps?) since someone may want to know about a particular supply before purchasing. For example I cannot use polymer clays since I am allergic and some people do have allergies to it; it is also quite likely that many people are not aware that it is highly liver-toxic for some individuals. For those that use polymers it is also important they be aware not to overcook it due to toxic fumes and that it is always best to have a separate non-food-use oven to cook it in. Important stuff for anyone that crafts in that medium.

A listing of books in a separate subforum would be a nice idea too since the list of books is certain to be quite extensive.

Possibly a separate subform just for picture galleries might be a nice idea too for anyone who wants to embed pictures of their work for the guild to peruse.

Those are my suggestions! I think all the ones you posted in your first post were all excellent ideas!
OH! I just thought of another one! Sponsors for contests... meaning people can choose to be a part of sponsored contests and have each person who wants to be a sponsor be a participant in a 12month round of contests (or however many rounds of people wanting to sponsor a contest). The requirements would be that if you are a sponsor you have to come up with a theme and a prize that fits the theme (the prize doesn't have to be anything over 5k but must be over 1k) and you must also be willing to participate in that round of sponsored contests. I.E. 10 people agree to be sponsors. The first of the ten creates the theme and has a prize for the winner of that theme (popular vote wins) the rest of the 9 sponsors participate in that 1st round (along with the sponsor) and popular vote is cast by the sponsors and the rest of the guild. However only those who agreed to be sponsors can participate in the rounds. A week can be given for each person that sponsors them (shorter or longer if agreed upon; for example a Lighting Round of sponsored events can take a two day creation time!) Multiple sponsored rounds can be going on at the same time since there may be newer people coming in the guild who want to join such a contest. There can even be a head-to-head sponsored round with each participant donating a prize to the other if he/she wins popular vote with the guild choosing the theme from the two the h2h sponsors suggest... did any of that make sense? sweatdrop

pneumadragonfly

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:25 pm
I'm definitely open to people posting customizing work, hope to see more here eventually ^_^

I'm reluctant to put in too many subforums while the guild is still fairly small - I've found that people (including myself) forget to check them and the guild as a whole ends up looking less active than it is. I like your suggestions but I think at this point they'd do better in the main forum than as separate ones.

I do really think that the gallery idea is a good one though! We're all posting things in the main forum currently, but it would be cool to have your own thread in the gallery subforum as well to sort of keep an archive of your work and progress, if you choose too. I'll work on setting that one up smile

I sort of got the idea on your contest suggestion - it sounds really fun, but I think we're still a bit small to run something of that size sweatdrop I think we'll see how little contests just sponsored by me go for the moment, and step it up from there if we get a good response 3nodding

Thanks so much for your suggestions! And sorry for the late reply sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:45 pm
no problem on the late reply! Life happens as they say 3nodding blaugh It is our guild so you definitely know the direction you want to take it good luck on continuing the set up!  

pneumadragonfly

Nefidean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:14 pm
I've read alot of the replies, and I noticed that some of them were from a while ago, but I'd still like to comment on them and add my own.

I really like the contest Ideas, a group I worked with before did that and it was great to see how others intrupited the theme, what they also did was set up a poll before a theme was decided and let every one decide what they liked best as well.

To go along with the contest, I believe some one sugessted a project thread. Somtimes it's hard to get the creative juices flowing, I think a small thread where other artist can give challenges and offer up ideas of what they'd like to see could help get some things started. It could be anything from a type of medium to use, to various colors. It could be anything from specific things like I want to see something themed on Robins and Starlings, to something vauge like I want to see something with feathers.

Another thought I had was expand on the Book review thread, I really like the idea, a friend is helping me find books, not only on art, but law and business surounding the art world, so having a list of benificial reads is exciting, but why stop there? I live in north eastern Pennsavina, between here and new york there are lots of little bead shops, art shops and flee markets (which I find great for finding stuff to fool around with) that are a bit off the beaten path. Besides there's also Jo-Ann Fabrics and Michale's and A.C. Moore in our area which are great for all types of crafts. There could also be a review on links and tourtorials in the Links and Resources thread.

One final suggestion that I had thought of was Spotlights. A way to bring acknowlagement to a random guild member and their gallery each month, they don't have to be experts at their trade either, just a way so that others can take a look at something they may have not thought of looking at before. Also a spolight on a random Recorce or link I think would also be good. Hopefully that sort of spotlight would have a higher quality of professionalism.  
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff