Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How do you answer...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eh... here's some gold.
  I'll take it!
View Results

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:00 pm
Levis Pennae
The reason I'm nice is because I believe the only thing that goes on is what you did while you were alive, and I'd rather not be remembered for being a p***k.
Pricks do make it into the history books though. I guess if you're trying to make sure people remember you when you're gone, not saying you are or anything, then it sure would be easier to be an a*****e like Hitler or Osama. To do good and be remembered, you have to do a great deal of good. Normies like us don't impact the world very often. Sad.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:21 pm
I don't want to be remembered by everyone.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:52 pm
Levis Pennae
I don't want to be remembered by everyone.
I figured. Which was also why I put the following bolded part in there.

"I guess if you're trying to make sure people remember you when you're gone, not saying you are or anything, then it sure would be easier to be an a*****e like Hitler or Osama."

Silly goose. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:07 pm
O, sorry sweatdrop  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:10 pm
O, sorry sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:26 pm
Why be nice to others? For me it's more of a survival thing. If something terrible were to happen to you, like having your home and belongings destroyed by a tornadoe, it would make things a little easier if you had friends who know you as a nice person and are willing to help you get back on your feet. If your a total jerk, you may end up pretty much on your own. Also, a person you may be nice to may end up being someone who can help you reach your goals, like vouching for you to get the job you want. This won't won't happen if your an a*****e.  

sora987

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 pm
That's a good question. Why should I bother being nice? Especially if I won't be punished for it in a afterlife? Because people do have emotions and are able to feel pain. I'm not a nihilist, I believe most of the things my senses tell me to be real. I know I'm not the only conscious being. I know what it feels like to be hurt, to feel pain, to be happy, etc.

In short, I'm not an unempathetic (I don't think that's an actual word, but I can't find a word to use) S.O.B.

Plus, if something bad happens to me, I'd rather that the people around me care (but that's just a bonus).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:07 pm
There is a great section in The God Delusion on the topic of atheists and morality. (I really need to start taking notes on this book) If I didn't have to go to bed and wake up in six hours I'd whip out the passages for you!  

JadeDragonSoul

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 am
JadeDragonSoul
There is a great section in The God Delusion on the topic of atheists and morality. (I really need to start taking notes on this book) If I didn't have to go to bed and wake up in six hours I'd whip out the passages for you!
I'm sure I can find them. I'm saving the rest of the book for reading while on my 10 hour plane flight to Hawaii in a couple weeks.

P.S. Awesome ******** avi!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 am
If someone does everything for their own personal gain, then they will lie, cheat and steal.

Religion was instated originally to keep people under control, just as a mother might tell her children to behave or Santa wouldn't bring them any presents at Christmas.

However, if someone has morals, and respects and values the wellbeing of others, then they don't need to fear punishment to be a good person.

I think it's a chilling thought that some people only act like nice people because they're scared of going to Hell.

Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!

Dark Pieman

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:47 pm
Ok i know it's your belifs, but being atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in an afterlife. My friend (Who I talk about alot concering this stuff) who'd explained the atheist belifs to me descibed it in laymens terms as the "religion" or lack there of, that caters to your needs without restriction, except, that you do not believe in a higher force. (A.k.a God) Which would under normal circumstance remove the afterlife from the picture, correct? Unless said person wishes to believe in an afterlife ruled by no one, or seen to their ideals. So it varies from Atheist to Atheist i assume.

Sorry it's a common misconception i see, my need to debunk couldn't hold.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:12 am
Well, morals exist outside of religion, you don't need one to have the other. I'm a utilitarian, I see happiness as an intrinsic good, so I work for it. Just because I believe in no gods doesn't mean that I enjoy watching people suffer. I think it's quite the contrary. Since there is no god, we have the responsibility to make the world a better place. I view life to be precious, I don't need a god to tell me that.  

Koravin

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:24 pm
I say because doing otherwise just doesn't make sense. If I went around doing horrible things I'd be wronging others and making life itself less enjoyable. Why spend life in jail? If you go around killing lots of people they'll want to kill you and the same goes for other actions. In the long run it doesn't benefit anyone and just messes everything up.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 am
sora987
Why be nice to others? For me it's more of a survival thing. If something terrible were to happen to you, like having your home and belongings destroyed by a tornadoe, it would make things a little easier if you had friends who know you as a nice person and are willing to help you get back on your feet. If your a total jerk, you may end up pretty much on your own. Also, a person you may be nice to may end up being someone who can help you reach your goals, like vouching for you to get the job you want. This won't won't happen if your an a*****e.

Wow. That's kind of... bastardly. confused  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:01 am
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I know most of what you are and how you act is usually based upon how you were raised. Also, my father always taught me kindness and truth, which is based on a verse strictly from the bible.

But despite my religion and despite my upbringing, seeing myself for who I am, I just can't bring myself to be harmful to others (unless of course you piss me off enough.) But in general day to day living, regardless of what I'm told or taught, the thought of hurting someone mentally or physically brings me emotional pain because I just can't fathom doing it. It just....bothers me...like nails on a chalkboard. I think its mainly due to my personality.

But from a christian point of view, God created me the way he wanted. So I guess I could say in christian terms, I'm this way because he created me this way. Which makes sense, like when we make a computer, it is the way it is because thats how its built.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff