Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm thinking of coming out soon. How should I do it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:30 am
If getting kicked out is an issue, I'd wait until I was able to support myself. It's so sad, how coming out as an Atheist has such similar consequences as coming out as a homosexual. No one should be treated like that by friends and family over religious beliefs and sexuality.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:08 pm
If your family is anything like mine, I would avoid coming out at all costs. The only reason some of my family members know is because they forced me to tell them. Since I've come out, those who do know refuse to hold conversations with me, and won't allow me to do so with their children either.
They regard me as "the damned one" and most believe I'm possesed by Satan and am extremely corruptive. I have been beaten for my belief several times, have gotten hate mail from my own grandparents, and have been forced to hear gospel and watch religious movies in an attempt to turn me back to christianity. My father is the only one who still truly accepts me, though he would prefer that I join some religion, any religion with god(s).
I won't come out to any other family members for I know they would only hate me or fear me. It hurts too deeply to describe being one of the unspoken shameful members of my family.
If you absolutely feel you must come out, do so with caution.  

sora987

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:16 pm
sora987
If your family is anything like mine, I would avoid coming out at all costs. The only reason some of my family members know is because they forced me to tell them. Since I've come out, those who do know refuse to hold conversations with me, and won't allow me to do so with their children either.
They regard me as "the damned one" and most believe I'm possesed by Satan and am extremely corruptive. I have been beaten for my belief several times, have gotten hate mail from my own grandparents, and have been forced to hear gospel and watch religious movies in an attempt to turn me back to christianity. My father is the only one who still truly accepts me, though he would prefer that I join some religion, any religion with god(s).
I won't come out to any other family members for I know they would only hate me or fear me. It hurts too deeply to describe being one of the unspoken shameful members of my family.
If you absolutely feel you must come out, do so with caution.

Then they're bad Christians. My mother is the only one in my immediate family who considers herself Christian or has any sort of belief. The only time I've ever had a disagreement with her over religion was once when I was a little kid and said I don't believe in god or Jesus but I like Christmas. She said, "if you don't then why celebrate Christmas, should we give away all of your presents?" I told her I liked the ideals behind Christmas and being kind to your fellow men and she accepted that answer. My father constantly ranted about religion and how stupid it was. If your family won't accept you and you think they won't love you anymore hold off on telling them until you can live on your own. The only problem is that being alone is often more painful than holding in your beliefs to some people.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff