Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I came out to my dad! Yes! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:05 am
Les Adieux
Sanguvixen
Wow, well congradulations on having an awsome dad!
I'm sure that will make things a bit easier for you, although it might be interesting to see how your mom reacts when she finds out.
What are you going to do? Are you going to get with your dad and try to get your mom to stop making you go to Church?
Avoir Le Retour...
Well, my dad was like "You have two choices: I have you every Sunday, (all day) so you don't have to go to church, or you go to church to make your mother happy." I'm not sure what I'll do, but once I come out to my mom, I'm not going to church anymore.
...Les Adieux

Hmmm...Well when you do come out to her, just be certain to be as light and respectful as you possibly can. Also choose your words very carefully when you tell her that you don't plan on going to church anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am
I think my dad's Agnostic.

Congrats on coming out to your dad.

[x] Natasha [x]

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:12 am
D:
Takes alot of guts, eh?
Congrats, though.
^^

I told my dad, who is agnostic (someone who isn't sure if god exsists or not, basically), and he said that was just fine and dandy.
My mom, who is catholic, was all pissy about it.
Saying stuff like "it's good for young girls your age to have guidance from the lord!!! Why can't you see that?"
Dunno...was something like that...I'm para-phrasing.
She doesn't force me to church...only when it's christmas.
I won't go up to get the bread. Only she and my sister go up.
My dad and I just sort of sit back a little.
So, in a way, I have some freedom.

Oh!!
I remember my elementary school I went to.
Went from kindergaten to grade 8.
I was always sort of an atheist when I was a kid but I only gave myself the title when I was 12.
But I remember, the elementary school I went to used to stuff christianity down your throat.
I remember once I refused to accept the bread at church (which does taste like card board, by the way) and this teacher (total b***h) made me go up and recieve it, anyway.
Afterwards, I had to serve detention.
Yeah...was an awful time for me...

DX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:58 pm
congratulations. I, personally, was raised by an agnostic father (i'm not sure if that's the way i should say it... he has no religion, but he doesn't describe it as atheism... i'll keep it that way, to be safe.) and a Jewish mother. not very involved in Judaism, mind you, but very definite in her religious beliefs, however lax they may be.
My parents never gave me a definite belief in God, so i just went along with what other kids at my school talked about for a while. My parents were fine with it, and wanted me to choose my own religion. which, of course, turned out to be none at all.
I never realized that it was hard for people to tell their religion to their parents-
just a result of my own ignorance, i guess. but it's great that you've faced this challenge, and i wish you luck in the future.  

OH NO ITS DEVO

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces