Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Pushing faith... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:32 am
Xiporah
I rarely post outside of guilds unless there is an event going on.

I post outside the guilds quite often. You can learn quite a lot that way.

Sometimes though you learn something that you didn't want to know. Hence the quote in my profile, "Trust me, Gaiaonline will rape you of your innocence."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 am
Sanguvixen
Crystal E-B
It's hard to change ignorance. Really it is. You can try to educate people, but many times, especially with the topic of religion, it falls upon deaf ears. If I must be viewed as arrogant and snotty for my lack of belief in a higher power, then so be it. I know the truth. I don't really see us shoving our beliefs in their faces any more or less than they do. I hate to sound like a five-year old, but usually they started it!

I am so inclined to really agree with that first part. Especially after coming across someone in the Religious and Morality Sub-Forum who claims that that religion had nothing to do with the Crusades. Apparently in her world, the Crusades was not a holy war. Can I stab myself please?

When you try to educate people, they don't always want to learn. Or they dont' want to admit they could be wrong. Or maybe they are like being blind. It is true that the belief shoving isn't really more or less on either side.
I bet that same person denies the war currently taking place is a holy war. Perhaps America isn't fighting for religion, but those we are fighting against are. Religion is mostly the entire reason Osama and his followers utterly hate America, and western civilization.

I usually only speak of my beliefs when I'm asked, or when it's needed to back up my feelings on certain matters. If I offend anyone by stating MY reasons and MY feelings on religion, then that's their problem. Perhaps if their beliefs were stronger, they wouldn't have issues with us. I think I read somewhere that the hardest thing to do is to persuade a person that his/her religious beliefs are wrong, and that's usually because most people are very set in their belief systems, both by blind faith and not.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:44 pm
Crystal E-B
Sanguvixen
Crystal E-B
It's hard to change ignorance. Really it is. You can try to educate people, but many times, especially with the topic of religion, it falls upon deaf ears. If I must be viewed as arrogant and snotty for my lack of belief in a higher power, then so be it. I know the truth. I don't really see us shoving our beliefs in their faces any more or less than they do. I hate to sound like a five-year old, but usually they started it!

I am so inclined to really agree with that first part. Especially after coming across someone in the Religious and Morality Sub-Forum who claims that that religion had nothing to do with the Crusades. Apparently in her world, the Crusades was not a holy war. Can I stab myself please?

When you try to educate people, they don't always want to learn. Or they dont' want to admit they could be wrong. Or maybe they are like being blind. It is true that the belief shoving isn't really more or less on either side.
I bet that same person denies the war currently taking place is a holy war. Perhaps America isn't fighting for religion, but those we are fighting against are. Religion is mostly the entire reason Osama and his followers utterly hate America, and western civilization.

I usually only speak of my beliefs when I'm asked, or when it's needed to back up my feelings on certain matters. If I offend anyone by stating MY reasons and MY feelings on religion, then that's their problem. Perhaps if their beliefs were stronger, they wouldn't have issues with us. I think I read somewhere that the hardest thing to do is to persuade a person that his/her religious beliefs are wrong, and that's usually because most people are very set in their belief systems, both by blind faith and not.

One can say that the Crusades have never really truelly ended.

It always seemed to be that the Crusades had much to do with religion and money. Although, in it's entirity it was a Holy War. What irks me is when people attempt to use sources far removed from the time period to make that bloody spot in history less about what it really was. Look, you can't deny the past, and it certainly is not the place of anyone to try to cover it up.

For every person using religion as a motive, there will an opposite. However it is not the religion that is bad. It is the person that is misusing it that makes it bad. I do not know so much about Obama and his followers hating religion and America. I do know that it is wiser to be aware that religion is only as bad as it's fanbase.

Beliefs are nice to have but there is a time and a place for them. You don't have to bring them up 24-7. Some theists and some atheists have a hard time understanding that, and thus when they bring up thier beliefs at innappropriate times they feel insulted with others come down on them.

Well, I know I'm hard headed but I don't let my heart get in the way of seeing. When you get into discussions and arguments it is best for a person to leave their heart at the front door and enter only with their mind. That way if there is something to be learned, they will learn it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 am
Sanguvixen
Crystal E-B
Sanguvixen
Crystal E-B

One can say that the Crusades have never really truelly ended.

It always seemed to be that the Crusades had much to do with religion and money. Although, in it's entirity it was a Holy War. What irks me is when people attempt to use sources far removed from the time period to make that bloody spot in history less about what it really was. Look, you can't deny the past, and it certainly is not the place of anyone to try to cover it up.

For every person using religion as a motive, there will an opposite. However it is not the religion that is bad. It is the person that is misusing it that makes it bad. I do not know so much about Obama and his followers hating religion and America. I do know that it is wiser to be aware that religion is only as bad as it's fanbase.

Beliefs are nice to have but there is a time and a place for them. You don't have to bring them up 24-7. Some theists and some atheists have a hard time understanding that, and thus when they bring up thier beliefs at innappropriate times they feel insulted with others come down on them.

Well, I know I'm hard headed but I don't let my heart get in the way of seeing. When you get into discussions and arguments it is best for a person to leave their heart at the front door and enter only with their mind. That way if there is something to be learned, they will learn it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas