Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
They're convinced I am Christian. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tchaik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 am
Your gramma sounds so nice. D:

First off, I play cello and I'm going to college for it. It's like, crazy-important to me.
I was at church once, and my gramma somehow noticed that I passively didn't participate in Communion, and that I didn't say any of the prayers aloud.
She confronted me afterwards with an embarrassingly quiet muttering of, "I see you don't take Communion. Do you really think you're so good at the cello simply from your own talent? *glare*"

I nearly lost it. gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 am
The only reason people think I'm religious is when I pretend to be, which I do around my family and the people at my church.

I espouse my political and social beliefs as is (excluding my thoughts on sex and drugs), and just have to screw around with finding vague scripture to back up my interpretations, or else denouncing a particular scripture as applying to another place and time (or denouncing its author as a douchebag...Like Paul talk2hand )

So usually people don't think I'm religious, and I only tell them otherwise if they're likely to speak to my parents.  

reverie0312

reverie0312

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:50 am
Tchaik

First off, I play cello and I'm going to college for it. It's like, crazy-important to me.
I was at church once, and my gramma somehow noticed that I passively didn't participate in Communion, and that I didn't say any of the prayers aloud.
She confronted me afterwards with an embarrassingly quiet muttering of, "I see you don't take Communion. Do you really think you're so good at the cello simply from your own talent? *glare*"

I nearly lost it. gonk

I hate it when people say things like that!!

It's like, "So all of my hard work and practice means jack s**t? Thanks, grandma, thanks."

(My parents and paternal grandparents say the same sorts of things about my grades, debate skillz, and leadership abilities)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:38 pm
I never really outright say my feelings on religion except with close friends. If someone brings up a conversation that's christianity based I stay silent. This usually gets people to assume I'm christian too, since I try to be a good person and never speak out against christianity. The only way people ever really know is if they ask something like ,"Do you believe in God?" which I can only answer with silence.
The only time I'll really get steamed on religion is when ignorant people start bashing muslims or athiests. Being an athiest myself and having many family members who are muslim, I find this kind of talk unacceptable and I won't allow it to continue. That whole all muslims are terrorists crap is really wearing on my nerves in particular.  

sora987

Viasol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 pm
Yeah, the people who assume that sort of thing usually have a bad case of religion. I think it stems from the fact that there is a authority figure that tells them all the positive things they achieve come from religion or God, and all things they are bad at come from their own failings and human weakness.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:08 pm
Tchaik
First topic. Hello!

So, I am 17, and I baffle the majority of religious adults. They tell me how nice, respectful, caring and courteous I am. They find out that I read, I don't really watch TV, I'm an A student, I listen to Classical music (including religious choirs). And then they ask to confirm that I'm Christian. "Awww, you're Christian aren't you~?"
And I just say, "Naw, I'm actually an Atheist! 3nodding "
That's when they get confused. Apparently, you have to be a Christian to be a good teenager.

I was also "conveniently" let go from the job I'd had for 4 years after my boss asked me if I was Christian and I said I was not. I hated that job anyway. *shrug*

So, does this happen to you?
What are your thoughts?

OMG! LMAO! Everyone thinks I'm this uptight goody-goody Christian girl.

One kid thought I was catholic. People are shocked to discover the fact that I'm an atheist.

It's kind of annoying how the typical stereotype for a Atheist according to some Christians is that you come from a bad household, have no decency, and don't give a FRACK about anything...

They are so off target.  

Jessica Malatori

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:28 pm
Nah, it doesn't happen to me. Then again, I usually try my best not to discuss my religious views in certain situations.

For example, I don't bring up the fact that I'm an atheist to my grandma because she's a devout Catholic and starts to cry and is all like "I'M SO SAD I WON'T GET TOO SEE MY GRANDCHILDREN IN HEAVEN!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:52 am
Avoir Le Retour...
I love Amadeus! I listen to, and play, Classical music all the time! That's funny though, how people are ignorant enough to think that only Christians can be good teenagers.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Dark Pieman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:27 pm
Wait... in America, you can get FIRED for being an Atheist? I thought you were supposed to be a nation of freedom!

No offence. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:52 pm
Dark Pieman
Wait... in America, you can get FIRED for being an Atheist? I thought you were supposed to be a nation of freedom!

No offence. sweatdrop
User Image

Hahha, I know, right?
Well, it depends who you ask, I guess. Some people are convinced "freedom of religion" does not mean "freedom FROM religion", while the government in charge of employment technically should enforce that no one should be denied a job for reasons dealing with race, sex, orientation, religion, or disability.
Thing is about this job, I can't prove that's why he fired me. It just seems really suspicious that after working 4 years, he suddenly fires me 2 days after he finds out I'm not a Christian.
And I didn't even say I was an Atheist. I just said, "not Christian."

And please, offend all you'd like. xd

Tchaik

BadLuckNovelist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:09 pm
I am lucky in that I had very understanding friends, and my grandparents were too, even if I didn't know it.

The only people I haven't really told is a friend of my grandmother's, and my great grandmother. The former because I don't want to hurt her, and the latter because she's a bitter old hag who tries to act pious and like a good baptist, but is in all reality a total and utter b***h. I refuse to put up with her crap about my religion. mrgreen

And I've only had one person try to convert me! WOO! XD  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:37 am
Tchaik

I nearly lost it. gonk
So what, praying works better than scales? 13 years of work for nothing? Damn, I thought I was good at flute because of practice.  

Koravin

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 pm
Good good... now all you have to do is place the bomb behind the cross... I mean... hallelujah?

On a more serious note: It doesn't happen to me. I don't live in a religious place, and most of my family doesn't care that much about religion. The only person I'd rather just avoid the subject with is my aunt (who's not really all the most religious of people, but still, there are some things I'd rather her not know).

Also, I haven't had a job yet, and I'm hoping that never happens to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:12 am
Tchaik

I nearly lost it. gonk

I must say, that was extremely rude of her to say, even if she is your grandma.
Just because someone is good at something doesn't exactly mean god did it.
You ever notice that people associate pretty flowers, birds, etc to god? Everything good is God's. But... God apparently made everything.
So why does no one say Hitler was from God? Any other things no one likes, it's not God's doing. Only pretty things come from God. Everything else is quietly ommited.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:50 am
Haha...That happened to me at a party once. My grandma threw a Christmas party, and I became entangled in a philosophical discussion with a colleague of hers (She's a college professor). It was rather interesting, and he was pleased with how interested I was in his field.

Then we got around to religion, and his eyebrows skyrocketed at finding that I was an atheist. I suppose they just don't expect that in Tennessee...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff