Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I came out to my mom on Thursday. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 pm
For a second I thought I was looking at my Gaian Gay and Bisexual Boys Guild... but yeah, good for you. At least you have an atheist dad, that'll make it easier (or not).  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 am
.: [ Good job. I haven't told anyone in my family I'm agnostic yet. Only my closest friend and another friend who're also agnostic know. The reason? Well, I wouldn't want it to get my long time best friend, who is super religious and would probably be very mad at me because she's the one who brought me to church originally a long time ago, like back when I was young and didn't really know much about religion. Also, my Uncle is a preacher and my Aunt is a church choir director and they come over...a lot...I'm thinking that would make things a little awkward...My parents aren't really religious, but I remember my Dad telling me it was good to go to Church, so I'm not so sure I should tell my parents just yet... ] :.

Pheranya

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm
As time goes on, being able to announce you don't believe in a god without bad reprecussions will get easier. People are slowly opening their minds to the reality that atheists and agnostics are not bad people.

That said, kudos for having a decent family that didn't overreact.

My family does not know that I am atheist. Or most of it does not. My step-brother knows, and he is fine with it. I do not know if my younger brother is aware...although he is not exactly pro organized religion, even though he believes in a god. He says he won't vote for anyone in politics that plays the god card. He hates atheists though, and is pretty vinidictive when he wants to be, and my mom would sooner accept him as gay, than me as atheist. So, I keep my mouth shut, and as far as they are concerned, I just don't like organized religion.

Maybe one day I will let them know. One day when I am living on my own, and am not under the threat of having support for college yanked from my under my feet. stare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:13 pm
My dad, as far as I know, still thinks I'm a Christian. My mother knows I'm not a Christian, though she still thinks I am a believer. My grandfather knows I'm not currently following any gods in particular. I have not told any of my family flat-out that I am an atheist. Well, hell... I only just recently admitted it to myself (I've been afraid of it for years and as a result, hopped on and off the pagan train a few times and still have a hard time feeling safe with this lack of belief).  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dronning Dagmar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm
Good for you! I am a bit jealous of you people who can share this with your family, even if it makes things slightly awkward for a while.

My parents told me never to tell them about anything I do or believe that they wouldn't approve of. I think it's a stupid policy but I don't want to argue about it. I only seen them for about one week a year, and it's not worth ruining that week or dealing with it from afar.

I will never lie about it, but it hasn't really come up around the family. I think the closest I've come would be a conversation like this:
"Want to go to church tomorrow?"
"No, I'd rather sleep in."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:04 am
Another one bites the dust, doo dee doo do doo  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Lux7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 pm
Thankfully both my parents are atheist so the only people that were hard to tell were some of my friends. When i told one of them she stopped talking to me. None of my other friends cared and three of them turned out to be atheist. Although one of them keeps giving me free christan music stare stare i'm planning on giving her an I love atheists shirt though, can't wait to see how she reacts!! mrgreen xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:49 pm
Ah, but is it good music that happens to be Christian, or is it "Our God is an Awesome God"-type stuff? wink

Are you having the shirt made or do you know a place to get one like that? I've never seen one but it sounds cool. I still want to get an "axial tilt is the reason for the season" shirt for December.  

Dronning Dagmar

Lux7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 am
It's a bunch of different people singing live. Some of them are okay but most of them are just annoying.
I'm trying to find a place that makes custom shirts. My mom told me there's one but i have yet to find it cry crying  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 pm
Zazzle does custom, and they have some pretty neat designs on there already too. Although it's always good to support local business if you can. smile  

Dronning Dagmar

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 am
If your friend stops talking to you because you're an atheist she was never your friend to begin with.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:32 pm
Ya thats what i was thinking, i'm just glad we weren't that great of friends. THANK YOU for the zazzle thing. THey have cool shirts xd !!!  

Lux7

Steel-Avatar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm
Sorry about your mom, dude. But it was right to come out like that.

I think I've felt that way before.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 am
Sometimes, when confronted with a "what do you believe?" question, depending on the person, it is sometimes better to say "I don't believe in anything" Which may or may not be honest enough for some people, though oftentimes safer...

In any case, good on ya! I just assumed that people knew where I was at, but when posed the question "Do you still believe?" I was rather shocked "Not for a long time" "Oh..."  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

vwwvvww

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:42 pm
I go to church with my girlfriend's parents, to keep them happy, and make them really think they can convert me. In a conversation with my grandmother I learned my late grandfather was an athiest. They, I mean my parents, seem to dislike this fact, hating it as it seems. Becuase I go to church with my girlfriend my parents wrongly assumed I am a Christain. There are a few times where my grandmother has "caught" me on such forums as this one. She'd tell me not to worry about such things, and basically submit myself to her god, Jehovah. stare Any suggestions about when this happens again?

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff