Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Children and Politics? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teenagers...
  are hardly able to think on their own.
  do have a mind of their own, but most don't show it well.
  don't want to agree with their parents on anything, so they don't, hence their "political stances."
  shouldn't be concerned about politics.
View Results

WayneRitz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:22 pm
There should be a Death Penalty, BUT i belive the case should be 99.9% sure the facts are true!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:59 am
Im 16 and my political views are completely my own. Though i will take what people say to mind, i don't reflect or copy anyone's views. Also, just because im republican doesn't necessarily mean i immediately jump on the bandwagon when a new topic comes up. If i don't agree with it then ill oppose it. I don't like hearing that my generation is close minded, but for the most part it can be true. But to be honest, its not even possible to say that any age group ISNT close minded because being stubborn and ignorant can apply to everyone  

Cunning Malevolence

Newbie Noob

3,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

DanskiWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:24 pm
Let's face it - most teenagers are completely ignorant when it comes to politics. I remember when John Howard was still prime minister (ahh, those were the days) all the kids would proclaim how much they hated him. Why? Because the leftist media told them to, essentially.

A minority of young people are interested in politics and, whether they be right-wing or left-wing, they actually know what they're talking about and can make better arguments against politicians than simply "I hate him/her".

Me? Well I'm considering joining the Young Liberals (calm down, the Australian Liberal Party is right-wing not left-wing). I think I'd have fun campaigning against our incompetent leftist Labor government at the next elections. twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm
Well... I really don't know much about foreign politics unfortunately, I do wish they taught us... I do however remember on the ACT one of the questions was

"What is bad about a Parliamentary system"

Answer =
"Because you don't vote the chief executive"

that's all I know really  

The Hallowed Mouse

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 am
Mousers09
Garrett31212
I'm a teenager. All my thoughts and stances I've thought up on my own. I am a Republican because I personally have a problem with Democrats and their agendas. I've been involved with politics for over a year now so if it was a "passing phrase" I would have gotten over it right now.

Same here!

Same here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:25 am
DanskiWolf
Let's face it - most teenagers are completely ignorant when it comes to politics. I remember when John Howard was still prime minister (ahh, those were the days) all the kids would proclaim how much they hated him. Why? Because the leftist media told them to, essentially.

A minority of young people are interested in politics and, whether they be right-wing or left-wing, they actually know what they're talking about and can make better arguments against politicians than simply "I hate him/her".

Me? Well I'm considering joining the Young Liberals (calm down, the Australian Liberal Party is right-wing not left-wing). I think I'd have fun campaigning against our incompetent leftist Labor government at the next elections. twisted

I'm fourteen it makes me so sad to have to agree with you. I wish teens were more interested but half my grade spouted "We love Obama" because he was black or because for some reason they got the idea in their heads that he was going to eliminate the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) test. Why would he give a s**t about that? I have been very involved in politics and it is true I have pretty much the exact same political opinion as my step-dad but that's not because I'm some sort of megaphone for his opinions but because we both pay attention to the news and when something comes up we end up debating on it. I usually lose and end up going with his opinion.
I am sort of outcast in my school for having an interest in politics. Every time it's mentioned I jump in and people tell me to shut up because I spew facts and valid points and can out-debate anyone in my grade. During the election "shut-up Mason!" became most of what I heard as every time someone insulted McCain or supported Obama I would try and find out why and then debate with them. Teens are stubborn (I would know) and when they debate they think they either have to hold on to their opinion no matter what or they absolutely have to change the other person's opinion.  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

dealing with it 123

700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:39 pm
I'm only 12 and I've taken some input from my dad, but lots of things I've decided for myself, I'm in the challenge program which is better than honors because we learn even more at higher levels, so I like politics and talking about subjects such as this.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:39 am
The Pocky-Lover Has Entered!

I'm a teenager, but I've been watching the news with my parents-mostly my dad- since a young age. I'm not just copying my parents views, but I am a part of the republican party. The liberals I completly disagree with and its like I'm on the whole other side of the Earth compairing to their views. You should put that most teenagers just follow along with their parents beliefs and/or are influenced by shows they watch depending on their vote. Thats a way Obama got the 18 year olds' votes, hence Oprah, The View, and celeberties/shows supporting Obama without saying why. Just VOTE FOR OBAMA! And I'm seriously tired of it.

And She Wants Pocky NOW!

Give Me The Nachos

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 pm
I always went my own direction, even if it was something my parents disagreed with me on. I was blessed to be in a household where if I went away from my parents ideals it was accepted and I was not chastised.

I came into my own Libertarian Republican ideals many years ago under Clinton's inauguration in 1993. Since then I was floating around watching both the Republicans and Democrats shoot themselves time and again.

Bush, regardless if you liked him or hated him, lied to us and used many excuses, like 9/11, to show us reasons for his big lie. He came in on the vote that he would not nation build. he did.

The Patriot Act, I disagreed. I believe if the Patriot Act, used in the wrong hands and abused, will handcuff every citizen in this nation. And now we have President Barak Obama in the White House with the Patriot Act. he has not abused it, yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 pm
Quote:
He came in on the vote that he would not nation build. he did.

First time in quite a while I've seen that one referenced. Good memory.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

H3aV3nly_CloudZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 am
Yea....i would have to agree with you to some degree... SOME teenagers go with the flow/follow there parents...I find it very ironic how 5 years ago all the teenager would be against gay marriage....But now?? 5 years later they are for it....I guess SOME teenagers fall under peer pressure and just go with the flow...I guess those teens have no mind of there own to some degree...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 am
Garrett31212
I actually think it's sort of our right to get involved right now with politics. Becuase here in the future, all of the descisions being made right now will affect us. Why should they without us at least getting to express our opinions?

This  

VertigoIX

Pumona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:57 pm
I'm in my thirty's now but, when I was growing up my parents were independent and we really did not talk about politics. After I left my parents I really started being a conservative. My parents have become republicans now (but they still will not vote). I do not really talk to them about politics since they never look at facts. All teenagers should watch both sides so, they can help there future.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:17 pm
We take our values from our parents. While young, we tend to adopt political positions in opposition to our parents. When we get older, we reconcile our political opinions with our values. Sometimes our values win out, sometimes they change, and sometimes we discover that the same values our parents gave us are better represented by the party we chose in rebellion. All the same, the youth certainly develop opinions, and while many may have apathy, so too do adults. The real differences are experiential. The young, by and large, have yet to strike out on their own and make a go of it. Doing that is usually the last piece of the puzzle in having adult politics, and that usually doesn't happen until the mid 20s. Do the young have opinions? Yes. But should these opinions have weight? Only in so far as they relate to policies for which the young will bear the primary costs. In as much, should the young dictate our tax and economic policies? Someone who doesn't have a place of their own, utilities to pay, and a 40 hour a week job, nor are they seeking one, probably shouldn't have a say in that no matter what age they are. Someone who could be sent off to fight a war sure as hell better get a say in that, and some deference from those who will not be asked to serve as to just what that say is.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 pm
It's kind of hard to say really. I most certainly think they have opinions, but my opinions during my adolescent years reflected my father's very religious-right opinions... whereas now I am much more liberal than before and reflect more of my mother's moderate-left opinions... however I am a bit more to the left than her (which may be considered 'rebellion' against my father.)

I tend to have a system for how I choose what I think is right and wrong... it usually deals with what seems the least hypocritical, and the best for humanity (ideologically.)  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff