Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 am
I bet it could be found on Google or Wikipedia razz  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:01 am
Yes Google and Wikipedia have it all.....  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:28 am
Well, many pagan and pre-Judeo-Christian faiths revered women as sacred. The ancient tribes of Germania believed that there was something holy in women and consulted them as oracles. The Celts revered the female power to bring forth offspring. Perhaps this is a reflection of that?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:03 pm
Tolkien was writing before and after WWI(not sure, but I almost want to say that he fought in it) and it's been speculated that what he saw during the war influenced his writing i.e. most of the evil characters are from the south and east(Germany and Italy) while most of the heroes are from the north and west(Britain and America), Saruman's use of machinery (WWI saw the rise of machine guns and other technological changes).

What about Eowyn? She married Faramir and in my opinion they're about equal, in different ways. Faramir was a great leader of men while Eowyn slew the Witch King(Merry helped, but Eowyn faced him down and struck the killing blow) and his mount.  

Tears of the Siren

Talitha_rize

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:26 pm
Quote:
Also notice that your female example are either goddesses or elves. Perhaps its showing that only humans have gender discrimination.

And yet, there's also Eowyn.

I have a prospect for you to consider. Please do not crush me if you consider it folly. It just entered my mind upon reading it. When I read about the male roles compared to the female roles, I think that most of the males are still the dominant people, the forefronts of the battle against evil, and the protectors of the land, whereas the female roles of the story seem to be that of influence, and many times of wisdom and love. Maybe this is just me, but I think that this seemed to be out of respect for the influence that women have on their husbands when they are loving and wise.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:16 am
Is it really gender discrimination? Male and female characters both have roles and are respected for them. I don't remember reading anywhere that females were inferior to males, simply that traditional roles were greatly enforced by the general community.

Just as Eowyn was forbidden to join the war, Faramir could not escape joining it. They do make an odd couple O_o.  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:49 am
I liked them together. I liked that Faramir had to do his share of sweet talk before she gave in to him. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:27 am
Eowyn and Faramir are the best. They match up nicely. He's got the kindness she needs after losing her father and the man she loved (Aragorm to Arwen, that is).

Yes, there are a lot of females that are more important than their spouses (Luthien, Arwen, Galadriel, Melian, Varda, Eowyn, you name it), but there is also one major group of important men that needs to be compensated:

The fellowship.  

mystifyingbliss

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:06 am
Thats an interesting thought, would it be possible for female characters to join the fellowship. Disreguarding the nine nazgul, nine members of fellowship. After all, there were so many Mary-Sues as the "tenth walker" of the fellowship.

So my question is, should there have been females characters in the fellowship?  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff