Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kanpach_zaraki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:43 pm
1. There are companys that sell meat from animals that died of natural causes.

2. dont become a vegan. No milk, and nothing *tooken from animals. Its kinda queer.

3. Being a vegetarian's fine I myself went on a 30 day thing (Morgan spurlock is one of my idol's) where I only ate vegetables. It kinda sucked
but I got used to it.

I want to see that program.

*could you help me with the spelling?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 pm
Lee Retalis
Good work.
Welcome to the club. I've been a vegetarian for seven years. I love it. If you want some info, PM me if you'd like, anytime. biggrin
It seems we are in the minority here.
I don't think we should eat them just because we can. Just because there will always be other people eating the meat I think is a silly reason to give up your morals. There will always be people killing people, so we should kill people too?

Healer Guy
I hate it how whenever I order a vegetarian pizza and everyone else gets 2 meat pizzas, everyone still wants to eat mine.

Yeah, why is that?

And please don't tell me the people in this guild are even going to start the "its natural" arguement.

The way I sum my views up is simple. If I don't have to kill it for food, then I don't wanna. I can't live without eating vegetables. I can live without eating meat. Animals are my friends, I don't eat my friends.
I think its cool that you consider animals your friends. I feel the same. But do you think that all the carnivorous animals in the world should stop what they've been doing for thousands of years and become friends?  

Zambimaru

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:00 pm
No matter what you do you'll be eating animals of some sort. To harvest grain a large amount of rodents and insects are killed by the machinery when being run through the fields. Also there is a certain percentage of insect parts and eggs allowed in grain products because it would be near impossible to remove them all. The human body is actually evolved to process and consume meat (our teeth have specializations for this as well as grinding plant matter) and is a large reason as to why we evolved large intellects, the protein helps brain growth and development. We can actually eat meat raw with very little problems, we cook meat because it sterilizes it and makes the meat taste better. So it's incorrect when people say that humans aren't meant to eat meat. I'd also like to point out that some herbivores will consume flesh to supplement their diets. Carnivorous deer are one example and I have watched a video in which a malnourished cow steps on a mouse and proceeds to eat it. Many bones also have gnaw marks from various rodents that tend to subsist on a largely insect or plant based diets, because they need the calcium the bones contain.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:49 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Well, I have some bad news for the vegetarians in this guild. I'm sorry, but I cannot continue with being a vegetarian. It is not because I don't want to, but I am not yet ready to REALLY pay attention to what I eat. (having to have a certain amount of protein, making sure a food DOESN'T involve meat, etc.) As well, I have been sick with a fever for the past two days, but I don't particularly feel bad. My only guess is that it is from protein loss, as I can't have it in every meal, especially at school. I've been very tired, and I've fallen asleep in class. I care about animals very much, but I am not yet ready to completely change my lifestyle. Though it is a pretty long time from now, I plan on going completely vegetarian when I graduate and go to college. Either then, or when I am confident that I can take this change well. Until then, I'm going to eat meat as sparingly as I can, but enough to at least keep me from being sick, and from falling asleep in class. My regards.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:33 pm
Zambimaru
Lee Retalis
Good work.
Welcome to the club. I've been a vegetarian for seven years. I love it. If you want some info, PM me if you'd like, anytime. biggrin
It seems we are in the minority here.
I don't think we should eat them just because we can. Just because there will always be other people eating the meat I think is a silly reason to give up your morals. There will always be people killing people, so we should kill people too?

Healer Guy
I hate it how whenever I order a vegetarian pizza and everyone else gets 2 meat pizzas, everyone still wants to eat mine.

Yeah, why is that?

And please don't tell me the people in this guild are even going to start the "its natural" arguement.

The way I sum my views up is simple. If I don't have to kill it for food, then I don't wanna. I can't live without eating vegetables. I can live without eating meat. Animals are my friends, I don't eat my friends.
I think its cool that you consider animals your friends. I feel the same. But do you think that all the carnivorous animals in the world should stop what they've been doing for thousands of years and become friends?

The carnivorous animals are just that. Carnivores. They absolutely CANNOT survive on plant matter. Their bodies are unable to digest it. They have no choice.

Sorry to hear that Les Adieux. Good luck with becoming a vegetarian in the future.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 pm
Lee Retalis

The carnivorous animals are just that. Carnivores. They absolutely CANNOT survive on plant matter. Their bodies are unable to digest it. They have no choice.

But there are just as many omnivores who can and will eat meat at any opportunity. Bears, dogs, pigs, primates, to name a few. And in my earlier post I also gave an article on carnivorous deer.  

Lunar Falcon

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:45 am
Not to dissuade you from your choice, as it is your choice...

But cows are vegetarians.
And I am technically an omnivore.
I do eat plant matter.
But I much, much prefer meat.
Call it twisted, call it whatever you like.
But I consider myself a carnivore with herbivorous tendencies.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:11 am
You should read the book "The Ethical Assassin". One of the main characters is an animal rights activist and a vegetarian. And I love him, absolutely adore him to the highest degree, and not just cause he kicks a**.

Also, I was contemplating vegetarianism for awhile. But until I get my own place, I'm gonna find it hard. But that should be easier by the time the end of Dec rolls around. That is if I get my fat a** up and go work with it.

Good luck yo! On your journey of self enlightenment.  

PickleBoy

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:32 pm
Lunar Falcon
Lee Retalis

But there are just as many omnivores who can and will eat meat at any opportunity. Bears, dogs, pigs, primates, to name a few. And in my earlier post I also gave an article on carnivorous deer.

I don't believe they really understand how to be any other way. Besides, if I'm not going to try and force other people to follow my morals, why would I force other animals? This is simply what I believe.
Should we eat other animals because the carnivores/omnivores do it? Why is that a valid reason to do anything? It's almost like the "natural" arguement. Various animals have been known to eat their young on occasion, kill eachother over territory, etc. Should we do all that stuff, too?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 pm
Go for it! My friend is veg, but she doesn't eat healthy (she's a junkie D:<)
so if you do go veg make sure you eat right n.n
I also like animals and meat, but I don't waste food and get only what I can eat. It doesn't make sense to kill an animal and let its death go to waste, you know?  

Doctor Salt

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:44 pm
Lee Retalis
It's almost like the "natural" arguement. Various animals have been known to eat their young on occasion, kill eachother over territory, etc. Should we do all that stuff, too?

We already do. Some cultures practice cannibalism (rarely nowadays though), people fight over territory (Israel vs. Palestine though there are also religious and cultural elements thrown into this as well) WWII with the Germans and Japanese invading and annexing other nations, various wars and conflicts between European powers in the middle ages over territory. Also note removing Native Americans from their land by lethal and non-lethal force, and the war of 1812 which was started in part by a desire of territorial expansion (though not entirely this was a factor). Humans resort to cannibalism as a last resort for survival when food is in short supply or nonexistent. Humans also abuse and even kill their own children with no reason. Humanity shouldn't do these things but we do; we are animals (albeit with a higher thought process) after all.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:12 pm
Lunar Falcon
Lee Retalis
It's almost like the "natural" argument. Various animals have been known to eat their young on occasion, kill eachother over territory, etc. Should we do all that stuff, too?

We already do. Some cultures practice cannibalism (rarely nowadays though), people fight over territory (Israel vs. Palestine though there are also religious and cultural elements thrown into this as well) WWII with the Germans and Japanese invading and annexing other nations, various wars and conflicts between European powers in the middle ages over territory. Also note removing Native Americans from their land by lethal and non-lethal force, and the war of 1812 which was started in part by a desire of territorial expansion (though not entirely this was a factor). Humans resort to cannibalism as a last resort for survival when food is in short supply or nonexistent. Humans also abuse and even kill their own children with no reason. Humanity shouldn't do these things but we do; we are animals (albeit with a higher thought process) after all.

Just because it can be done, and it has been done, doesn't mean it should be.  

Lee Retalis

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:10 pm
Lee Retalis

Just because it can be done, and it has been done, doesn't mean it should be.

Agreed, but it happens anyway. In an ideal world none of that would happen we wouldn't need to kill things for survival, or fight wars, or have any hardship, but then again this is hardly an ideal world.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm
When it comes to the whole being vegetarian or vegan thing you really have to be serious about the decision. If you aren't determined to stick with it you won't. The whole "you won't get enough protein" and all those kinds of arguments are bullshit if you know how to cook yourself some good vegan meals. If you decide to persue the vegetarian or vegan diet again, you need to hook up with a club or something that will help you learn different dishes you can make yourself that has all the essentials. Also, a cook book or magazine won't hurt either. Their are also special diet pills (like flax oil pills for essential omega fatty acids) that you must look into.

Me, I've been vegetarian for about 5 years now mostly because of the love for animals thing. Some of you argue animals will still suffer and some still die in farming, and I know this is true since I've worked on farms, but personally I still don't want to straight eat something I know was running around not long ago. Also, growing fruits and vegetables maybe destructive to the environment too, but it's a little less destructive. In an age where nature is seriously on the losing team, every little bit helps. If you choose to eat meat, then go ahead most of my family does, but don't try to talk me out of my diet choice. I find that incredibly annoying and unfair.

For any knew vegetarians or vegans that may be checking this out, and you want to learn a few recipes e-mail me at:
sthedgies1@yahoo.com
I'd be happy to send you the info. heart  

sora987

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out