Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Lord Will Provide Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slimy Hats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
wow wouldn't expect a cristian to pay, I would have expected them to scold you for not believing.

Yeah, we kinda would've expected the same thing.

Tenth Speed Writer
It was an amazingly kind gesture, in my opinion. Misguided, but very generous, and well-intentioned.

...We agree with that one too.

It was rather out of the ordinary, and it could've been ignorant too, but we won't deny the fact it was pretty nice.

Though they were probably only doing something nice 'cause they figured Jesus was watching. ;>>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 pm
I thought I would update this a bit.

I went to work the next day, and told my coworker and boss, both who know I'm Atheist, about what had happened. My coworker replied, "Oh! You got a pay-it-forward!" I had no idea what that was. Then my boss agreed with her. Apparently now my husband and I are supposed to pass the favor on to some other couple. I asked if we have to write the god thingy on it, and they said that we could just write pay-it-forward on the receipt. So, I'm thinking they didn't hear my husband talking all his blasphemy, and it was just awkward timing.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:18 pm
That is very interesting. I waitressed at a Bennigans and I've had people pay for others desserts as a joke and stuff... but never anything like that. Though, there was this couple that came in pretty frequently and would leave "Jesus loves you unless..." pamphlets all the time. It was a little annoying, especially since one of my coworkers was crazy christian and would always wave it in my face and be like "See! See!" I dunno...  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm
Smack your co-worker upside the head.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:47 pm
This story reminds me of something that happened to me several years ago. I was at work at a bookstore and one of my coworkers and I were talking about our mutual atheism. I didn't really feel comfortable talking about it at work because I don't like having personal conversations in front of customers and because I know that my store has a large Christian clientel, but my coworker was going on and on loudly. A man came up to her and gave her twenty bucks. She was like, "Ummm, thanks...." And he was like, "I'm giving this to you because I don't want you to think that Christians have never been kind to you," or something like that. She just shrugged and put the money in her pocket and told him thank you. I wanted to be like, "Hey! I"m an atheist too! I want twenty bucks!"  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 pm
mazuac

I have never had something like that happen to me. But have you ever wondered if God and his Son don't want you to burn in Hell? Haven't you thought that God used that waitress as a tool to bring you or your husband to him? Let me tell you, that waitress will be heavilly rewarded in Heaven, and you should take some consideration of what has been revealed to you~

The Bible says the Lord is gracious, and gracious he is. Did you know that there is a Psalm in the bible, written over 400 years before Jesus was born, that has so many Messianic prophecies in it that you would be blown off your feet? Not only does it have Messianic prophecies, but also depicts a lot of what has gone on in out own world. Please, take into consideration that someone more powerful than EVERYTHING has looked at you specifically. Think about that?
Am I reading this wrong or are you preaching at us? That's not something I really appreciate.

FYI, due to my religious upbringing and the fear it instilled in me I still find myself sort of looking over my shoulder when things like this happen, afraid that I will be smited by a smiter in whom I can't seem to believe. Please stop exacerbating this by preaching at me.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:18 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
mazuac

I have never had something like that happen to me. But have you ever wondered if God and his Son don't want you to burn in Hell? Haven't you thought that God used that waitress as a tool to bring you or your husband to him? Let me tell you, that waitress will be heavilly rewarded in Heaven, and you should take some consideration of what has been revealed to you~

The Bible says the Lord is gracious, and gracious he is. Did you know that there is a Psalm in the bible, written over 400 years before Jesus was born, that has so many Messianic prophecies in it that you would be blown off your feet? Not only does it have Messianic prophecies, but also depicts a lot of what has gone on in out own world. Please, take into consideration that someone more powerful than EVERYTHING has looked at you specifically. Think about that?
Am I reading this wrong or are you preaching at us? That's not something I really appreciate.

FYI, due to my religious upbringing and the fear it instilled in me I still find myself sort of looking over my shoulder when things like this happen, afraid that I will be smited by a smiter in whom I can't seem to believe. Please stop exacerbating this by preaching at me.

I was not preaching, at you at all. I was talking to Passionate Destroyer *I think that's her name.* Yes, you should be fearful of Him, for He can cast one's soul into an entirnity of fire and pain!

I know that sounds distressing and depressing, and it is! For it says "the Path to Heaven is narrow, while the Gate to Destruction is wide." What's that tell you? It tells you that not many people will go to Heaven! But, wouldn't you like to go there! Beleive in the Lord your Father, not in yourself! He has provided, and will provide ever again!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:47 pm
This thread has been locked, and shall remained locked until certain issues are dealt with. So any mods who see this still on the main page, I am telling you as Co-Capitan, do not move this, and do not unlock it.

Sanguvixen

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am
I'm confused. Why was it locked?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 am
I'd say that as well. I hate when people are vague crying  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Kiyrugoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:59 pm
Because every time a Christian appears we run around in terror. Honestly, either give us a reason or just leave the damned thing open.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm
Well, probably because SOMEONE (No names) came in and preached, which got some of us pissed off, which, in turn, pissed off the mods, and blah, blah, blah
Probably just the preaching part, though
No Atheist likes being preached at
Unless its a chance to prove them wrong or get a good laugh
;D

Mideval

Koravin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:06 am
_C r y s t a l_RB
I thought I would update this a bit.

I went to work the next day, and told my coworker and boss, both who know I'm Atheist, about what had happened. My coworker replied, "Oh! You got a pay-it-forward!" I had no idea what that was. Then my boss agreed with her. Apparently now my husband and I are supposed to pass the favor on to some other couple. I asked if we have to write the god thingy on it, and they said that we could just write pay-it-forward on the receipt. So, I'm thinking they didn't hear my husband talking all his blasphemy, and it was just awkward timing.
Pay it forward is awesome. It's happened to me, and I have paid it forward. It's a delightful concept.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 am
mazuac
Daffodil the Destroyer
mazuac

I was not preaching, at you at all. I was talking to Passionate Destroyer *I think that's her name.* Yes, you should be fearful of Him, for He can cast one's soul into an entirnity of fire and pain!

I know that sounds distressing and depressing, and it is! For it says "the Path to Heaven is narrow, while the Gate to Destruction is wide." What's that tell you? It tells you that not many people will go to Heaven! But, wouldn't you like to go there! Beleive in the Lord your Father, not in yourself! He has provided, and will provide ever again!
Are you being sarcastic, or are you a Christian in the atheist guild?

Anyway, if God is so petty that he will only be nice to those that glorify him constantly, and will inflict eternal suffering on those that don't, he's not worthy of my time. Even if he is real, I would not worship a being such as that. It is disgusting to me. I'll have to just make hell a better place. I could spend eternity doing that quite happily.  

Koravin

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces