Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I just bought The God Delusion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unique Views
  +1
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:27 pm
I finally got my hands on a copy.

So far I understand his justification on attacking religion. In fact, he has several points on justifying it.

I'm in the part where he talks about Agnostics. I'm confused on his stance. I mean, it seems like he does not agree with the whole fence sitter idea, but at the time seems to promote it.

I think I'll end up rereading the chapter for better clarity. So far though, it's a good book.

I do have one major issue though. That book belongs in the Religion and Inspiration section of Barnes and Noble. On the back of the book it even has the little coding thing that tells that it belongs in that section.

However, it was placed in the Science section. The book is not about science, it is about religion. So why wasn't it in the section of "religion and inspiration?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 pm
Likely a self-righteous employee disagreed. Whether they see putting it in that section as glorifying or disgracing the book is up for debate, though.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Dronning Dagmar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:34 am
Well, that is interesting. I got it from the "English language Non-Fiction" section, but non-Danish books only have two sections.

Did they have other books from the so-called New Atheists in the wrong section too? Where do they put books on things like Intelligent Design?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:07 pm
I got assigned the God Delusion for a text book in a course. It's an awesome course.  

Koravin

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Likely a self-righteous employee disagreed. Whether they see putting it in that section as glorifying or disgracing the book is up for debate, though.

They had a really big section for religioun and inspiration, stuffed full of books on the subject that is pro-religion. There were several very religious people there when I was at the bookstore and they were bickering lightly on which was a better book to get out of what must have been at least over a hundred different titles.

I am thinking that it was either a disgruntled employee or customer that ended up causing the book to be moved. At one time the book was in that section, not in that particular Barnes and Noble, but another one at another mall.

What disturbs me is how disproportionate their areas were. There was a really small area for science text on the second floor, shoved away into a little corner.

Go to the first floor of the bookstore, and an entire spanning the entire store, and at least two shelves are dedicated to religious and inspirational text. I guess, my beef is, why did they have to hide away the science text in such a remote corner?

The reasoning behind it is up to debate, I suppose. Did self righteous employees want to get those kind of text out of regular sight? Or did the heads of the bookstore decide that science and stuff would put off the customers who come for the giant religious section?

Or did a customer raise a stink? I'd be tempted to ask them why they put the book over there, but from experience, the people at the location that run it are very rude, and tend to not be helpful at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 am
Dronning Dagmar
Well, that is interesting. I got it from the "English language Non-Fiction" section, but non-Danish books only have two sections.

Did they have other books from the so-called New Atheists in the wrong section too? Where do they put books on things like Intelligent Design?

There were books that challenge Christianity, and they were in the "Current Affairs section". There was a book that had something like "Religion is poison" in the Science section, and I know that must have dealt more with history and philosophy, so it didn't belong there.

;thinks; I'd have to check on that. I'm actually interested in seeing where their books on Intelligent Design are in that bookstore. I'll have to go back and check into that.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 am
Koravin
I got assigned the God Delusion for a text book in a course. It's an awesome course.

;whines; No fair. I want to take a course where the assigned text book is the "God Delusion".

What kind of course are you taking that requires that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm
At all Barnes and Noble stores I've been to (I live in Bible Belt GA), the books on atheism are located either in philosophy or science. Most religions outside of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam have their books shoved into the "mythology" section, excepting a few Eastern ones who have their own "Eastern Religion" section. Really, either acknowledge them all as religions or call them all mythology. Pick one. Make up your mind.

Also, I would LOVE to see the s**t that a class using The God Delusion would stir up. *drools* I am so jealous. XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers