Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
The End of Mostly Harmless Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Achates

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:44 am
wingnut the improbable
Doubtful Salmon
I liked the ending, it was a finally. It had closure for all the characters, which was wonderful. I think Douglas wanted to make another sequal to it because he didn't like the way it ended, but I think it was good. But then again, he was the author, he could write himself a way around it so that they can still continue their adventures.
Yes. I'm afraid to know how he would have done it, though. It would probably be some scary thing about improbability that would make my brain hurt.

And Daska, I hate fanfics too.

I see, I have to read H2G2 again. I forgot quite a lot.
But isn't "Mostly harmless" (in German: "Once Rupert and back") the book with the two last chapters?

I love fanfic, in some weird disliking way.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:19 am
Quote:
I liked the ending, it was a finally. It had closure for all the characters, which was wonderful. I think Douglas wanted to make another sequal to it because he didn't like the way it ended, but I think it was good. But then again, he was the author, he could write himself a way around it so that they can still continue their adventures.

Yeah, I agree. The ending was very final, wrapping everything up in a big explodiong box of wierd. But doing it well. I like how Arthur finally killed Arajag for the last time and then realized that he'd finally made it to the point where he could die. And Ford went out laughing like an idiot. How apropriate.
I remember reading somewhere that when Douglas was writing The Salmon of Doubt, he was thinking about modifying it and having it be a Hitchiker's book instead, because he was a bit unhappy with Mostly Harmless.  

Lupe_Oceana

Super Radical

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:46 am
Lupe_Oceana
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. The ending was very final, wrapping everything up in a big explodiong box of wierd. But doing it well. I like how Arthur finally killed Arajag for the last time and then realized that he'd finally made it to the point where he could die. And Ford went out laughing like an idiot. How apropriate.
I remember reading somewhere that when Douglas was writing The Salmon of Doubt, he was thinking about modifying it and having it be a Hitchiker's book instead, because he was a bit unhappy with Mostly Harmless.

I heard that too, but I also heard that he was writing it as a sequal to the Dirk Gently books, but that the ideas where more Hitchhikers-ish and thought about modifying it to be like a crossover book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:40 am
How can you go on about it being very final and all when we have no idea what Zaphod is up to besides one of his heads being saner than an emu on acid? (I didn't check my book for that.) It's the sort of thing that keeps you up at night- Zaphod all alone in the galaxy without Trillian there to have blazing rows with him when he gets too stupid! The horror! I have to admit that I tried writing a fanfic about him doing many and various things and eventually defeating the Vogons, but I found him too alarming in the movie and have gone off the idea of writing about him. Plus, I can't do D.N.A.'s tone, which spoils the whole thing. I'm sorry if I sound like I've been drinking Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, but it's 4 AM. And I'm still in mourning for Ford, Arthur, Trillian, Tricia, and Random, which is five too many people to be in mourning for. And probably Fenchurch as well, although I like the idea of her seeing it as Arthur who's vanished.  

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

Super Radical

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:08 pm
Gyakuten no Megami
How can you go on about it being very final and all when we have no idea what Zaphod is up to besides one of his heads being saner than an emu on acid? (I didn't check my book for that.) It's the sort of thing that keeps you up at night- Zaphod all alone in the galaxy without Trillian there to have blazing rows with him when he gets too stupid! The horror! I have to admit that I tried writing a fanfic about him doing many and various things and eventually defeating the Vogons, but I found him too alarming in the movie and have gone off the idea of writing about him. Plus, I can't do D.N.A.'s tone, which spoils the whole thing. I'm sorry if I sound like I've been drinking Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, but it's 4 AM. And I'm still in mourning for Ford, Arthur, Trillian, Tricia, and Random, which is five too many people to be in mourning for. And probably Fenchurch as well, although I like the idea of her seeing it as Arthur who's vanished.

Well yes, that bit about Zaphod was a bit, err... troubleing. But then again he wasn't an Earthling like Arthur and Trillian so he didn't really have to die. Ford wasn't an Earthling, but well (the sentence continues with a bit of mumbling, no need to type it out though). I do have this arguement for you though, which will only make sense if you watched the X-Files: But what about Mulder's sister?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:30 am
Doubtful Salmon

Well yes, that bit about Zaphod was a bit, err... troubleing. But then again he wasn't an Earthling like Arthur and Trillian so he didn't really have to die. Ford wasn't an Earthling, but well (the sentence continues with a bit of mumbling, no need to type it out though). I do have this arguement for you though, which will only make sense if you watched the X-Files: But what about Mulder's sister?

Well, the main trouble about Zaphod is that he's all alone... I can't imagine he'd be too chuffed about discovering that his not-quite-girlfriend is dead, and that one of his best friends may or may not be dead (I don't know about Mulder's sister, but I'll keep her in mind should I ever watch the X-Files...). Although goodness knows he wouldn't give a flying f- er... anyway, he wouldn't care much about Arthur. Or Random. Well, I can't help but think that if Zaphod were to find out about what happened (at least to Ford and Trillian), he'd die of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters. Although it's hard to know how Zaphod would respond to anything. Actually, come to think of it... Mulder's sister or not, isn't being turned into a whiff of hydrogen and ozone usually fatal even if you aren't from the planet it happened to you on? Ford isn't, as far as we know, from any of the Plural zones. No real reason he'd pop back up. I'm sorry if I'm being bloodymindedly morbid, though, I tend to do that.  

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

Super Radical

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 pm
Gyakuten no Megami
Doubtful Salmon

Well, the main trouble about Zaphod is that he's all alone... I can't imagine he'd be too chuffed about discovering that his not-quite-girlfriend is dead, and that one of his best friends may or may not be dead (I don't know about Mulder's sister, but I'll keep her in mind should I ever watch the X-Files...). Although goodness knows he wouldn't give a flying f- er... anyway, he wouldn't care much about Arthur. Or Random. Well, I can't help but think that if Zaphod were to find out about what happened (at least to Ford and Trillian), he'd die of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters. Although it's hard to know how Zaphod would respond to anything. Actually, come to think of it... Mulder's sister or not, isn't being turned into a whiff of hydrogen and ozone usually fatal even if you aren't from the planet it happened to you on? Ford isn't, as far as we know, from any of the Plural zones. No real reason he'd pop back up. I'm sorry if I'm being bloodymindedly morbid, though, I tend to do that.

I can be even more morbid twisted

Well the whole thing with Mulders sister is that at the end of the series there are alot (ALOT) of cliffhangers. Cliffhangers make a book exciting. I guess since Arthur and Trillian/Trisha are from a Plural zone it would be possible that they could pop-up again, but then there would be no Ford.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:18 pm
When I read the books, I got the impression that Mostly Harmless was like a second-thought book, that Adams had added after So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish! I mean, So Long had a final stamp to it, and I put it down feeling satisfied. Mostly Harmless made me thinking, there's got to be a sqequel! But Salmon of Doubt will never be finished... Did Dougas leave any notes about how he planned to end the book?  

Kibeth--Walker

fourtysecondscarf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:39 pm
Achates

I see, I have to read H2G2 again. I forgot quite a lot.
But isn't "Mostly harmless" (in German: "Once Rupert and back") the book with the two last chapters?

I love fanfic, in some weird disliking way.
i would like fanfics, exept that everyone keeps writing ford/arthur slash fics. I have read a few of these and most of them are TERRIBLE exept for one, but after the 5th chappie it kindof ate itsself  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:16 am
Daska
Now I am angry how could they all die.

Douglas Adams never wanted to write the last to books thats way its called a triology. He wanted to stop at the 3rd book- Life the Universe and Everything. So I guess that to stop everyone asking him to continue the story he killed them all off. Makes sense really and no point in getting angry about it.  

Morogo

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:05 am
Morogo
Daska
Now I am angry how could they all die.

Douglas Adams never wanted to write the last to books thats way its called a triology. He wanted to stop at the 3rd book- Life the Universe and Everything. So I guess that to stop everyone asking him to continue the story he killed them all off. Makes sense really and no point in getting angry about it.
Well, I guess we can't ask him what happened with Zaphod now, but did anyone bug him about Zaphod? 'Cos, saner than an emu on acid he may be, but Zaphod is currently absolutely unaccounted for.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 am
I finished reading Mostly Harmless last night at about 3AM. Not a good ending to read when you've got to go to sleep straight afterwards.

It depressed me quite a bit, them all having died - apart from Zaphod, who I felt pretty sorry for, being alone in the Universe now and all. That said, I'm sure I read somewhere that Douglas Adams said he was going through a pretty miserable time when he wrote it which is why it has a pretty miserable ending.

Oh, and just to add a little to the other conversation - I quite like fanfic. It gives me something Hitchhiker-y to get a fix off of while I'm waiting for my overheated DVD player to be fixed after watching the film and telly series over and over and over... sweatdrop But they're never as good as how Douglas wrote. Ever.  

Starlit Jewel

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:35 pm
Two words: radio series. Who's feeling embarrassingly emo about their favorite characters turning into whiffs of hydrogen and ozone, or in Zaphod's case, probably some sort of sozzled sad-sack? Go get the radio series. I defy your reality and substitute my own!
@ Starlit_jewel- Yeah, I always do that to myself. Finished Mostly Harmless in the middle of the night. And both of the most recent Harry Potter books. After I finished Mostly Harmless, people kept asking me what was wrong and I kept trying to take a leaf out of Ford's book and do the patented you-don't-even-want-to-know-I'm-too-scary-and-Betelgeusian-to-talk-to look, as opposed to the you-don't-even-want-to-know-and-anyway-I-might-bite look, but since I'm not from Betelgeuse, it didn't go over well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:46 pm
Lullabee
Two words: radio series. Who's feeling embarrassingly emo about their favorite characters turning into whiffs of hydrogen and ozone, or in Zaphod's case, probably some sort of sozzled sad-sack? Go get the radio series. I defy your reality and substitute my own!
@ Starlit_jewel- Yeah, I always do that to myself. Finished Mostly Harmless in the middle of the night. And both of the most recent Harry Potter books. After I finished Mostly Harmless, people kept asking me what was wrong and I kept trying to take a leaf out of Ford's book and do the patented you-don't-even-want-to-know-I'm-too-scary-and-Betelgeusian-to-talk-to look, as opposed to the you-don't-even-want-to-know-and-anyway-I-might-bite look, but since I'm not from Betelgeuse, it didn't go over well.

I was so happy with the radio show ending! whee

Lol, I finish most sad books in the middle of the night. Then again, most books I read don't kill off EVERY character at the end.

Surprisingly enough, I can do Ford's I'm-going-to-rip-out-your-neck-sing-just-my-teeth look quite well. It's useful for scaring annoying non-hitchhikers. 3nodding  

Starlit Jewel

subnormality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm
starlit_jewel
Lullabee

I was so happy with the radio show ending! whee

Lol, I finish most sad books in the middle of the night. Then again, most books I read don't kill off EVERY character at the end.

Surprisingly enough, I can do Ford's I'm-going-to-rip-out-your-neck-sing-just-my-teeth look quite well. It's useful for scaring annoying non-hitchhikers. 3nodding
rofl rofl rofl The end of Mostly Harmless was too depressing for me. It was like umm... bad feeling. sad I have mixed feelings on fanfic. There's some really nice stuff out there- but then there's slash. gonk  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games