Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which novel is more significant to you?
  Brave New World
View Results

Rudhe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:28 am
We studied Animal farm in English, I suppose the novel was interesting especially having a look at the context and the politics involved. Overall I don't like reading books with dystopia theme.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 pm
It's a bti young, but The Giver was a very good example of a dystopia. In trying to be a utopia, they were very much a dystopia.  

Ayame-Yukari

5 to midnight
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 pm
Ayame-Yukari
It's a bti young, but The Giver was a very good example of a dystopia. In trying to be a utopia, they were very much a dystopia.

Oh, yeah! That was a good book...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:22 am
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a classic cyberpunk novel set in a dystopian future. The movie Blade Runner was an adaptation of the novel.

In 2015 (it was written in the 70s), the larger portion of mankind has moved off-planet, leaving behind the diseased, criminal convicts, and those too poor to afford an off-world ticket. Androids were created to carry out slave labor on certain colonies and trouble begins when some of them develop self-awareness and rebel against the government.

Malakoi

the howie

5,050 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:08 pm
Ayame-Yukari

All right, I'll be the dumb one here. I've read the giver, and I understand the premise of Brave New World and 1984. However, one question remains for me: what exactly is a dystopia?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:48 pm
the howie
Ayame-Yukari

All right, I'll be the dumb one here. I've read the giver, and I understand the premise of Brave New World and 1984. However, one question remains for me: what exactly is a dystopia?

First of all, dictionary.com is your best friend. Second of all, it's basically a society that uses base tactics to create a following and becomes the opposite of an ideal. It's the opposite of a utopia, a perfect society.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:59 pm
I absolutely love dystopian fiction. Gotta be my favorite genre out there...
Let's see...Off the top of my head, there's "Animal Farm", "1984", "Ember", "Ferinheit 451", "The Giver", "Gathering Blue", "The Messenger"... All amazing books. And don't forget "Logan's Run", an okay book, but a better movie that fits nicely into that category.

I do have to say, and I apologize to the person who wrote about this one, but I read Ayn Rand's "Anthem", and I thought it was probably the worst book I've ever read...

There's just soooo much you can learn from dystopias, and it's cool to see how scary a well-written one can be.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:47 pm
Anthem was great, for a novella. (In general, I enjoy longer books far more than short stories or novellas.)

Rand's other books (The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) are more about society falling into dystopia, rather than already existing in that state. I have not read We the Living.

I really enjoyed 1984 and Animal Farm. I have not read Brave New World.

Novels which speak of Dystopian societies remind us of what we must fight against. If you don't "strike at the root," the vines will strangle everything.

Shinokamen

Byouki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am
I'll be really lame and mention Stephen King's The Stand.

On Ayn Rand -- I read Atlas Shrugged and was bored senseless. I actually skipped the majority of the big radio speech. It was so GODDAMN BORING.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm
I have to admit that I did skip the speech the first time I read it. It isn't entirely essential to the plot, anyway. I went back and read it a year later.

The rest of the book wasn't boring to me at all. I need to read it again though, as it has been like 5 years since I read it back in 8th grade....

Shinokamen

Colonel T-Bone

Charitable Lunatic

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:45 pm
Right along those same lines would be This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. It talks about the new future. Everything is regulated, from names to sex. They administer drugs to everyone in the culture to supress their feelings of independence. They even have regular scanners to scan a barcode bracelet so they know where everyone is. The entire thing is "programmed" by a group of people who live in seclusin from the rest of society. Read the book!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 am
I liked The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (and sequels The Digital Plague and The Eternal Prison), pretty hardcore scifi.

Also, how do we feel about comics? 'Cause Transmetropolitan's a pretty dystopic future, and Spider's awesome heart (yeah, I'm a big geek)  

wampus-kitty

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces