Non-Kaori Yuki manga Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moonlit Masquerade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:33 pm
dead.moki
As far as non-Kaori Yuki manga goes, I really like Deathnote, D.Gray-man, Fruit Basket, and LevelE, not to mention a lot more. I also like CLAMP, but I haven't read any of their stuff lately.

I LOVE FRUITS BASKET!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:53 am
OK, so this isn't a manga, it's an anime... but close huh? lol, so anyway, I have read volumes 1-7 of yami no matsuei (descendants of darkness) and I recently found out that there is an anime! So I ordered the complete series box set on the internet, 4 dvds with 13 episodes I think, and I wanted to know if any of you have seen it. What did you think? Am I in for a treat?  

YGOPaladin

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:30 pm
YGOPaladin
OK, so this isn't a manga, it's an anime... but close huh? lol, so anyway, I have read volumes 1-7 of yami no matsuei (descendants of darkness) and I recently found out that there is an anime! So I ordered the complete series box set on the internet, 4 dvds with 13 episodes I think, and I wanted to know if any of you have seen it. What did you think? Am I in for a treat?

Manga remains one of my favorites...
I only wish the manga-ka would continue it or I could find the chapters that were never published into tankoubon...

THe anime is soso...Hana to Yume, as usual doesnt invest a lot into anime most of the time so the animation quality is average.
THe japanese voice cast is pretty good. Please for the sake of sanity, don't watch the English dub unless you really need a good laugh.
THe anime is good for a fan of the manga, but as a stand alone, its not very good, IMO.
A couple of good songs on the soundtrack though.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:56 am
Sai-kun
Katinchen012
Yay, guilds are back! heart

...does "Meine Liebe" count as one of Kaori Yukis's works? Because she (luckily) only made the character designes.
Yesterday I saw the first episode, and- OMG, you have no idea how funny this anime is as soon as one knows what these names mean! A country called "Kuchen" which means "cake", then people who are called "F�rst von Marmelade nahe G�rz ", which means as much as "Fuerst(someone noble) of jam near Goerz(a town in Germany)" and some other ridicoulus names XDD
Hey, how about getting information before giving people random names in foreign languages? sweatdrop

Hmmm...thats a toughy...Kaori yuki only did character designs, the manga art and story is done completey by Rei Izawa and the anime was based off of her manga.

I suppose its place is here :3
But yeah, the anime is pretty hilarious. Its one of those pretty boys for pretty boys sake animes that come out every year.
The names are dorky, but I think its part of the fun to look up the injokes involved with them...

Yes, I guess you're right... But really, I think everytime I need a good laugh I'll watch a bit Meine Liebe. It' just... great. Really great. *laughs*
Oh, and about "pretty boys for preatty boys sake": At least at this subject they didn't make any mistakes. We all know how many good-looking boys show up in all of Kaori Yuki's manga^^

Moonlit Masquerade
I LOVE FRUITS BASKET!

I think it's not bad, but the beginning was definitely better than the newer chapters, I think. At first it was really funny and everything, but then, later, it's still not bad or boring, but it's neither as funny as at the beginning nor has it a well worked-out plot(at least I'm unable to detect one), so it's just... I don't know, I like the first chapters better.  

Katinchen012

YGOPaladin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:49 pm
Sai-kun
YGOPaladin

Manga remains one of my favorites...
I only wish the manga-ka would continue it or I could find the chapters that were never published into tankoubon...

THe anime is soso...Hana to Yume, as usual doesnt invest a lot into anime most of the time so the animation quality is average.
THe japanese voice cast is pretty good. Please for the sake of sanity, don't watch the English dub unless you really need a good laugh.
THe anime is good for a fan of the manga, but as a stand alone, its not very good, IMO.
A couple of good songs on the soundtrack though.

Yeah, about the english voice cast, I read somewhere that dan green and eric stuart (both from Yu-Gi-OH!, Yugi and Kaiba respectively) are the voices of tsuzuki and watari (also respectively). Is that true? If so, that is really quite depressing.....
I admit, I am probably the biggest Yu-Gi-Oh! fan in the U.S.... and one would think as a result that I would love the two main characters from that as voices in this... but no.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:28 am
Katinchen012

I think it's not bad, but the beginning was definitely better than the newer chapters, I think. At first it was really funny and everything, but then, later, it's still not bad or boring, but it's neither as funny as at the beginning nor has it a well worked-out plot(at least I'm unable to detect one), so it's just... I don't know, I like the first chapters better.

I usually don't like pretty-people-with-big-eyes-finds-what's-important-in-life shoujo manga, but fruits basket is just so adorable. I like all the characters, except Tohru. xp No, not because I'm jelous of the bishies, because her lack of personality! the feminist in me is twisting in agony when she shows up. So really, I should detest the manga, but I don't. I'm such a hypocrat. sweatdrop

Anyway, you say it loses the plot? What a shame... I hate when longrunning manga does that.  

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:51 am
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Katinchen012

I usually don't like pretty-people-with-big-eyes-finds-what's-important-in-life shoujo manga, but fruits basket is just so adorable. I like all the characters, except Tohru. xp No, not because I'm jelous of the bishies, because her lack of personality! the feminist in me is twisting in agony when she shows up. So really, I should detest the manga, but I don't. I'm such a hypocrat. sweatdrop

Anyway, you say it loses the plot? What a shame... I hate when longrunning manga does that.

Tohru annoys me too. I dont usually like female manga/anime characters because very often theyre portrayed as the helpless and stupid but kindhearted types.
I want a strong, fiery character with conflicts outside of relationship issues or what to cook that night or whether someone needs a hug or not.
Stock shoujo manga isnt my cup of tea either.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:51 pm
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Katinchen012

Tohru annoys me too. I dont usually like female manga/anime characters because very often theyre portrayed as the helpless and stupid but kindhearted types.
I want a strong, fiery character with conflicts outside of relationship issues or what to cook that night or whether someone needs a hug or not.

Yes, you're right about Tohru. She's just... too perfect. Always nice, friendly, everyone likes her, she alwyas knows what to say to make people feel better and so on and so on...

Sai-kun, what you say about female characters in ainime/manga is mostly right when it comes to shoujo manga, but as far as I've seen until now shounen manga are different.
To pick some pretty popular, Nami from One Piece is very, very intelligent, and with a fitting weapons she's a good fighter too, Nico Robin, also One Piece, has very much knowledge and is one of the best fighters, Sakura from Naruto is also pretty intelligent, and after a while she becomes a really good fighter as well as she has some other important talents, so...
Well, I have to admit that I like the typical shounen manga better than the typical shoujo manga. ^^

Ever heard of Skip Beat? It's a manga that's published in our German shoujo-manga-magazine, but the main charcter is completely different from such girls as Tohru or a school-lovestory-main character. After God Child has been abandoned (much too bloody for these cute, little, innocent girls...-.-') and Fruits Basket isn't as good anymore as at the beginning, Skip Beat became my favourite manga published in the magazine.^^

Oh, and about Fruits Basket's plot: Well, it's mostly "Tohru helps people to get over their past" by now, than a romance is forshadowed all the time, and Tohru wonders who the Etos she doesn't know yet are and what they're like. But at least to me nothing of all this is that interesting...  

Katinchen012

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:17 pm
Katinchen012
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Katinchen012

Yes, you're right about Tohru. She's just... too perfect. Always nice, friendly, everyone likes her, she alwyas knows what to say to make people feel better and so on and so on...

Sai-kun, what you say about female characters in ainime/manga is mostly right when it comes to shoujo manga, but as far as I've seen until now shounen manga are different.
To pick some pretty popular, Nami from One Piece is very, very intelligent, and with a fitting weapons she's a good fighter too, Nico Robin, also One Piece, has very much knowledge and is one of the best fighters, Sakura from Naruto is also pretty intelligent, and after a while she becomes a really good fighter as well as she has some other important talents, so...
Well, I have to admit that I like the typical shounen manga better than the typical shoujo manga. ^^

Ever heard of Skip Beat? It's a manga that's published in our German shoujo-manga-magazine, but the main charcter is completely different from such girls as Tohru or a school-lovestory-main character. After God Child has been abandoned (much too bloody for these cute, little, innocent girls...-.-') and Fruits Basket isn't as good anymore as at the beginning, Skip Beat became my favourite manga published in the magazine.^^

Oh, and about Fruits Basket's plot: Well, it's mostly "Tohru helps people to get over their past" by now, than a romance is forshadowed all the time, and Tohru wonders who the Etos she doesn't know yet are and what they're like. But at least to me nothing of all this is that interesting...

I read, overwhelmingly, only shounen manga lately, as well. Though I do like the occassional Betsuhana (I didnt get the september issue ;_; ).
And you're right, the female characters in shounen manga are a lot less flimflammy...
Which is weird...I guess its the gender attitudes in Japan, but in America if there were a large genre of comics for girls, you can pretty much bet it would all be about the GRRRLPOWER!! (argh, there's a difference between feminine power and being a ditz).  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:01 pm
Sai-kun
Katinchen012
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Katinchen012

I read, overwhelmingly, only shounen manga lately, as well. Though I do like the occassional Betsuhana (I didnt get the september issue ;_; ).
And you're right, the female characters in shounen manga are a lot less flimflammy...
Which is weird...I guess its the gender attitudes in Japan, but in America if there were a large genre of comics for girls, you can pretty much bet it would all be about the GRRRLPOWER!! (argh, there's a difference between feminine power and being a ditz).

Shounen manga is different sometimes, but most of the time their not. Just look at Misa in Deathnote. She's an complete airhead who gives up anything to be with her object of desire. I've seen more of those female charas than of the cool ones. I've read some One Piece too, and I wasn't that impressed by Nami. I never saw her do any actual fighting, and she had that typical cliche role of being the girl-who-is-a-thief. I've only read twelve volumes, so that could have changed.
But I do like Sakura. Why does so many people hate her? She's more real than most manga girls, and so is my favorite female character, Rin from Blade of the Immortal. I can relate!

Otherwise, I go to the korean romance nowadays. They have some kick-a** girls there, who are still feminine and far from perfect. Go So-Na!  

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

Katinchen012

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:04 am
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun
Katinchen012
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Katinchen012

Shounen manga is different sometimes, but most of the time their not. Just look at Misa in Deathnote. She's an complete airhead who gives up anything to be with her object of desire. I've seen more of those female charas than of the cool ones. I've read some One Piece too, and I wasn't that impressed by Nami. I never saw her do any actual fighting, and she had that typical cliche role of being the girl-who-is-a-thief. I've only read twelve volumes, so that could have changed.
But I do like Sakura. Why does so many people hate her? She's more real than most manga girls, and so is my favorite female character, Rin from Blade of the Immortal. I can relate!

Otherwise, I go to the korean romance nowadays. They have some kick-a** girls there, who are still feminine and far from perfect. Go So-Na!

Well, about Nami... Later in the manga she has some fights too, even if it's not as much as Luffy or Zoro.
I can't understand either why so many people hate Sakura, or, well, why most readers(or should I say most FEMALE readers?) hate almost all the girls appearing in any manga or anime.
So many fans hate Sara. I've seen many girls who said they like none of the girls appearing in One Piece. Sakura is hated. All the time I hear fans saying thy hate all the girls from YGO. Well, and the list goes on...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:19 pm
Katinchen012
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun
Katinchen012
Sai-kun

Well, about Nami... Later in the manga she has some fights too, even if it's not as much as Luffy or Zoro.
I can't understand either why so many people hate Sakura, or, well, why most readers(or should I say most FEMALE readers?) hate almost all the girls appearing in any manga or anime.
So many fans hate Sara. I've seen many girls who said they like none of the girls appearing in One Piece. Sakura is hated. All the time I hear fans saying thy hate all the girls from YGO. Well, and the list goes on...

Disliking manga girls because you think they're cliche or they don't give anything to the storyline is one thing. This Sakure hatred is just silly. Picture a Naruto without Sakura, it'd be pretty boring. You need the female characters, it'd be weird otherwise.

Off-topic: I'm going to the big manga convent in Malmö in october! Junko Mizuno is gong to be there... So now I'm on a manga diet to save my money. sweatdrop  

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

alicelights

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:48 am
Kamikaze Pedestrian

Disliking manga girls because you think they're cliche or they don't give anything to the storyline is one thing. This Sakure hatred is just silly. Picture a Naruto without Sakura, it'd be pretty boring. You need the female characters, it'd be weird otherwise.

Off-topic: I'm going to the big manga convent in Malmö in october! Junko Mizuno is gong to be there... So now I'm on a manga diet to save my money. sweatdrop

I agree completly there. To me, a good 3D character is good. On the other hand, a 2D character in a 3D and/or believable/excellent story is fine too.

I like Misamisa, because Raito's reaction to her is an important part of the story. She is the perfect person in terms to being easy to munipulate. Also she's the type of girl that many would love to have.

Out og curiosity, do people seriously have no pity for her. Just because she's not the type of girl 'one' would choose to be. Does that mean that people can't empathise? (As with Tohru...but less so, I think. Tohru is very 2D) just out of interest...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:42 am
alicelights
Kamikaze Pedestrian

I agree completly there. To me, a good 3D character is good. On the other hand, a 2D character in a 3D and/or believable/excellent story is fine too.

I like Misamisa, because Raito's reaction to her is an important part of the story. She is the perfect person in terms to being easy to munipulate. Also she's the type of girl that many would love to have.

Out og curiosity, do people seriously have no pity for her. Just because she's not the type of girl 'one' would choose to be. Does that mean that people can't empathise? (As with Tohru...but less so, I think. Tohru is very 2D) just out of interest...

Misa isn't all vapidness and fluff, IMO.
She is really very cunning and determined in her goals, no matter how frivolous they seem to us.
But to Misa, her encounters with Kira are life changing and she'll devote her life to his cause.
Is it really love, or is she perhaps a girl who got carried away?
Its very possible with her, but at the same time, I dont think she's stupid, and she does know the extent of her abilities and uses them well.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash