Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A more elegant philosophy, for a more civilized age... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 pm
Sanguvixen

I point out his race, because African Americans sort of make white a minority in my area. A majority of African Americans are very religious, or at least make church a big part of their life. I know from an African American Atheist who happens to be either engaged or married to a white women, that it isn't well accepted within his race (African America) the idea of atheism.

In fact, it is easier for a white person to be atheist than a black one. If anyone is offending by my use of either "black" or "African American" oh well, I've tired of trying to please everyone when using one term makes one person happy and the other very mad.

I think that's true. It certainly does seem that most atheists are white (and male). I think there's even a Myspace group now for black atheists and agnostics because they are so rare.

Anyway, back on topic:

I've never really experienced much discrimination, aside from middle-school stupidity in response to my middle-school stupidity.

However, just the fact that I have reason to be afraid to tell people I'm an atheist indicates that society is, at least, not very accepting of atheists.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 pm
Personally, I've never faced much discrimination due to my atheism, but I live in the most liberal area of Virginia (northern VA), so I'm not too surprised.

I will say, though, it's hard fitting in with some of the groups of people I'm associated with, or at least one would expect me to be the black sheep. I'm a bisexual atheist libertarial-Republican, dating a black guy whose family is baptist. Did I forget to mention that his name is literally Christian? xd Go figure!  

Teoka

OmG NoMoR3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:43 am
Well, I've spent my whole life here in the "good ol'" Bible Belt... and the people around me make me sick. -_- I've hidden my lack of faith all my life. It is only now that I've entered college that I feel I should be very open. People here can be quite frightening and crazy. They're insanely prejudiced and think Obama is the anti-christ.

Actually, the other day, my friend's roommate got trapped for several hours in the common room of their dorm by a gaggle of Christian girls trying to make her find God. They know she is atheist, because they post things on their dorm door, such as a bumper sticker that says "Freedom From Religion". They can be extremely forceful.

My boyfriend's brother came into his hospital room after we had a car accident and told him that he was being punished by god for not believing. The first thing he says to his brother who is all... punctured spleen-ish... is that god is punishing him. If I had been in there at the time, I think I would've exploded on that b*****d. >_<*

Strangers will come up to you and ask you if you've "found god". Seriously, right in the middle of Wal-Mart. It's extremely awkward. O_o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:48 pm
Kiki Lucas
Well, I've spent my whole life here in the "good ol'" Bible Belt... and the people around me make me sick. -_- I've hidden my lack of faith all my life. It is only now that I've entered college that I feel I should be very open. People here can be quite frightening and crazy. They're insanely prejudiced and think Obama is the anti-christ.

Actually, the other day, my friend's roommate got trapped for several hours in the common room of their dorm by a gaggle of Christian girls trying to make her find God. They know she is atheist, because they post things on their dorm door, such as a bumper sticker that says "Freedom From Religion". They can be extremely forceful.

My boyfriend's brother came into his hospital room after we had a car accident and told him that he was being punished by god for not believing. The first thing he says to his brother who is all... punctured spleen-ish... is that god is punishing him. If I had been in there at the time, I think I would've exploded on that b*****d. >_<*

Strangers will come up to you and ask you if you've "found god". Seriously, right in the middle of Wal-Mart. It's extremely awkward. O_o

Wow...I feel so lucky not to live there.

Then again, people should feel lucky I do not live there either. If someone in walked up to me in Wal-mart and asked me "Have I found god?" I'd probably give them a smart a** comment that would start a riot.

That just goes against everything I believe. What you believe or don't believe is your business, and not the business of other people unless you want it to be.

That is not of course be taken in the sense that you should go around shoving what you believe in the faces of other people. It means that you should not go around questioning what others believe, for it is up to them whether or not they want others to know that info.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces