Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I wonder if I should tell my dad I'm an atheist... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EggNoggStick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am
There is usually a time to tell people what you believe. I have met alot of indivuduals who end up sprining their belief structure onto others. My suggestions is start slow and ease your father into it if you are concerned that he will not react fondly.

Start by asking him questions about what he believes. Just let him know you have been thinking on the topic and that you are seeking his support no matter what you decide.

It is also helpful to have your facts strait about Atheism. I found recomending websites on the topic or explaining what it actually means to people of faith can be an enlightening experience. Surprisingly most people of religion have very skewed ideas of what it means to be and Atheists. I am sure many of us have been called many names that no where near represent our beliefs.

I guess however that the most important thing to remember is that no matter what happens try to stay away from being too defensive and angry. The angry atheist is a stereotype that we all should try to avoid. If people of faith are mad at us for being what we are, we are no better if we express similar sentaments back to them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:08 pm
Well, I can tell you, it sounds like your father will be a lot more open to the idea than my father was (and is). However, I'm still glad that he knows where I stand, despite how much he pesters me about (though I don't see much of him). So, I think you've got a much better chance of a good reception than I did, and I think you'll probably feel relieved when he knows where you stand.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:12 pm
I guess no one saw my update that I posted in the thread. I added the update to the first post.

He didn't care. He barely heard me when I said it to him. He shurgs at a lot of the thigns I do.

Also, seeing as I am almost 30, he doesn't really have say in my life anymore.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff