Where do you learn your history? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Galad Aglaron
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:48 pm
Oooh, yes, Age of Empires helped too, but it's historically inaccurate.

What the hell, it's fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm
Read any good history orientated books lately?  

x-Genghis-x
Captain

bighairy dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:15 pm
i read historical novels.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:27 pm
.x.marley.x.
Read any good history orientated books lately?

I read a book about Marie de France, but I don't remember what it's called...  

Galad Aglaron
Vice Captain

Clutzy_Ditz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:59 am
Galad Damodred
I used to read encyclopaediae when I was a child... sweatdrop Nobody told me that you weren't supposed to. I'm such a loser...

Also, I played a lot of educational computer games when I was a child. Carmen Sandiego. 3nodding

LOL... I've read encyclopedias since I was a child... I wasn't supposed to? wink I love encyclopedias; they are my main source for history. I once read a dictionary (in short installments), it was interesting because it had nice inserts of history of words. It was very intriguing to see how many English words came to be, especially the religious words; many Christian words stem from Pagan celebrations and beliefs. Strange. I feel I can't rely on the internet as a true source of information, but Wikepedia seems good.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm
Not to mention the fact that the entire modern English language stemmed from German.  

Nasuko-San
Crew

Galad Aglaron
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm
Wasn't it Frisian? In the third or fourth century AD. A Frisian dialect landed on the shores of northern England and proceeded to exterminate (and take on something of the natures of) the native Celtic tongues.

Although you'd be surprised how many people mistake English for a Romance language. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:47 am
I believe all the Anglo Languages are derived or influenced from German.

These include:

Gaelic
English
Finish
Norse

And more I can't think about. But German is the head of the Anglo (Commonly referenced as the Germanic Languages) Languages.  

Nasuko-San
Crew

Arcarnia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:25 am
History teachers being morons..yeah,I know that one too.I didn't actually take History when I was at school.I realize now that I should of even if the teacher was a walking mass of idiocy,the topics they took into account were very interesting.So I have to find things off the Internet and learn things from a friend of mine that is very passionate about his heritage.Have any of you read 'Might Is Right'? What are your opinions of it? I've heard it's a decent book.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:02 am
.x.marley.x.
For me it's mainly off my own accord, through books or the internet. Historical fictions, biographies and wikipedia are my main sources.

I am taking it as a subject at school but it's only American and German history. All we do is read from a dull text book and answer questions, boring! I hardly learn anything interesting, and when I do find something of interest the other hundreds of pages filled with boring information presented in a dry manner seem to take the enjoyment away from it.

Pratically word for word.

Meditarranian histories especially.  

LDS Knight

CH1Y0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm
Nasuko-San
I believe all the Anglo Languages are derived or influenced from German.

These include:

Gaelic (celtic language)
English (germanic language)
Finish (nordic language)
Norse (nordic language)

German (germanic languages)
Magyar (magyar language)
Yiddish (germanic language)
Danish (germano-nordic language)
Waloon (germanic language)
Dutch (germanic language)
Polish (germanic language)
Spanish (romance language)
Catalan (romance language)
Itallian (romance language)
French (romance language)
Greek (hellanic language)
Russian (russian language)

And more I can't think about. But German is the head of the Anglo (Commonly referenced as the Germanic Languages) Languages.

I've added some more European languages and their roots for you; it's all about grammar. (some might be wrong but, for the most part, it's accurate)
German certainly is a germanic language but English (as the Angles spoke it) is somwehat older than modern German (high or low) and ergo could not possibly have influenced it. They do indeed share common roots.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:55 pm
Nooooo. I was told by three people who fluently speak German, and teach it in high school and college that English is influenced by older German.  

Nasuko-San
Crew

CH1Y0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:42 am
Nasuko-San
Nooooo. I was told by three people who fluently speak German, and teach it in high school and college that English is influenced by older German.

So is middle and modern German; the present German language is not a major influence on the English language. Both being germanic languages they obviously have the same germanic origin.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:59 pm
CH1Y0
Nasuko-San

So is middle and modern German; the present German language is not a major influence on the English language. Both being germanic languages they obviously have the same germanic origin.

I meant:

MODERN ENGLISH HAS IT'S ROOTS IN OLDER GERMAN, I.E MEDIEVAL GERMAN.

Jesus.  

Nasuko-San
Crew

Devlin-G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 pm
Or older derivatives of German. (meaning what people spoke before the romans jumped in and made that cluster ******** of things)  
Home

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff