Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Sichuan Earthquake - 四川大地震! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 am
That's a very good saying...in a demented way. neutral  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 pm
did any of you guys donate? and if so, how much? lol
im planning to.. but im still thinking about the amount...  

soumakisa

Legendary_ONE

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:06 am
The donation amount is really up to you.

There was this dude in Australia who sold his brand new BMW 320i and donated the money. Meanwhile, a homeless elderly in Nanjing donated 105 RMB - his careful savings after 8 days of panhandling.

As long as you have the heart to donate, the amount doesn't matter. heart

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uP7sM_VhnxI  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 pm
I'm thinking about some kind of bake sale or such in school to raise money.

Niphz
Crew

Weiwei Haoma

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:31 pm
Legendary ONE - It's so great that so many people are getting together now, I'm hoping I can donate as much money as I can now smile

Niphz - Thats a good idea, our Chinese Community is going to sell food during the community parade.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I found this on Facebook...decided I wanted to show you this smile

"抢救人员发现她的时候,她已经死了,是被垮塌下来的房子压死的,透过那一堆废墟的的间隙可以看到她死亡的姿势,双膝跪着,整个上身向前匍匐着,双手扶着地支撑着身体,有些象古人行跪拜礼,只是身体被压的变形了,看上去有些诡异。救援人员从废墟的空隙伸手进去确认了她已经死亡,又在冲着废墟喊了几声,用撬棍在在砖头上敲了几下,里面没有任何回应。当人群走到下一个建筑物的时候,救援队长忽然往回跑,边跑变喊“快过来”。他又来到她的尸体前,费力的把手伸进女人的身子底下摸索,他摸了几下高声的喊“有人,有个孩子 ,还活着”。 经过一番努力,人们小心的把挡着她的废墟清理开,在她的身体下面躺着她的孩子,包在一个红色带黄花的小被子里,大概有3、4个月大,因为母亲身体庇护着,他毫发未伤,抱出来的时候,他还安静的睡着,他熟睡的脸让所有在场的人感到很温暖。 随行的医生过来解开被子准备做些检查,发现有一部手机塞在被子里,医生下意识的看了下手机屏幕,发现屏幕上是一条已经写好的短信“亲爱的宝贝,如果你能活着,一定要记住我爱你”,看惯了生离死别的医生却在这一刻落泪了,手机传递着,每个看到短信的人都落泪了。"

"When the rescuers found her, she had already died; she was crushed by the collasped house. Before she died (as could be seen from her body), she was kneeling, even though her body was crushed into a deformed shape....

That's the mother... and the reason why she was "kneeling" was that she was trying to protect her baby son. The baby is about 3-4 months old, and he was peacefully sleeping when they found him.

There was a piece of note written by the mother: "My Treasure, if you survived, you have to remember that I loved you"

Even the doctor who's seen so many deaths cried... and when he passed the note to the others, they cried too sad "

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:30 am
Dude, that story is beyond words...  

cold_blooded_chick

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 am
The earthquake is horrible I am so glad so many people are donating. But did you guy hear on the chinese news about a man who was parading around happily and said that he was so happy all of those people died. That man is horrible I hope people give him hell everyday.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 am
Guys, the next three days have been declared days of mourning. Wear dark colours with a white flower, and abstain from frivolity.

Niphz
Crew

mymiridon

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 pm
that story was crying

I was watching the news (the chinese news) and they were saying that there are so many wounded that they don't have enough room in the hospitals for everyone and that the doctors haven't slept in manydays... then it occurs to me, "why in the world are you walking around in the hospital following the nurses and doctors?" eek  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:17 pm
Its sooo sad. I was born in sichuan and now i feel so lucky to be alive and i see friends around me sooo happy like they dont care. I donated 200 dollars. I hope the earthquake will go away soon.

中国要加油, 不能放弃.  

polaristears

polaristears

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:19 pm
kyoslove74
The earthquake is horrible I am so glad so many people are donating. But did you guy hear on the chinese news about a man who was parading around happily and said that he was so happy all of those people died. That man is horrible I hope people give him hell everyday.
wow i'm sad that he's alive.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm
I watched the three minutes' silence broadcast on Chinese satelite television last night...and was deeply moved by it. It looked a lot like Remembrance day on the 11th November, except it was far more poignant and emotional. If I was in China right now, I'd have paid the three minutes' silence to the victims of the earthquake, whereas I wouldn't give a damn to remember the soldiers of a war that ended 90 years ago.

I'm planning on donating some money to the aid for the relief effort as well.  

Minielf

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 pm
Farenheit was born in Sichuan? Do you still have family/friends there? Are they okay?

I opened the Guardian (a British newspaper) this morning to read the article about China and just sat in our common room crying @__@;

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 am
eeks.. anyone heard about the massive swarm of toads in China before the earthquake?

Apparently now, there are swarms of toads in many areas of China.. including guangzhou... and some predict there might be earthquake again..

i wonder if this is going to affect the Beijing Olympics...

Quote:

The first sign came about few weeks before the earthquake, when a large volume of water suddenly disappeared from a pond in Enshi, Hubei province, around 350 miles east of the epicentre of the May 12 quake in Sichuan, according to media reports.

Three days before the earthquake, thousands of toads roamed the streets of Mianzhu, a hard-hit city where at least 2,000 people have been reported killed.

Mianzhu residents feared the toads were a sign of an approaching natural disaster, but a local forestry bureau official said it was normal, the Huaxi Metropolitan newspaper reported on May 10, two days before the earthquake.

“It’s obviously an omen. Officials say that there were environmental factors behind it, but that just goes to show how ignorant they are,” said one blog posting. Another posting said: “These experts are rubbish.”

The day of the earthquake, zebras banged their heads against their enclosure door at the zoo in Wuhan, 600 miles east of the epicentre, according to a newspaper in the city. Five minutes before the quake hit, dozens of peacocks started screeching.

Zoo officials told the Wuhan newspaper that the behaviour was probably a sign that an earthquake would happen.

“If the seismological bureau were professional enough they could have predicted the earthquake 10 days earlier, when several thousand cubic meters of water disappeared within an hour in Hubei, but the bureau there dismissed it,” one commentator wrote on a Chinese internet chat site.

An article in Tuesday’s China Daily newspaper questioned why the government did not predict the earthquake.

Several countries, including China, have sought to use changes in nature – mostly animal behaviour – as an early warning sign. But so far, no reliable way has been found to use animals to predict earthquakes, said Roger Musson, a seismologist with the British Geological Survey.

Source:
here  

soumakisa

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:00 am
I thought they were sparrows at first... neutral  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers