Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sculpted - art + craft guild
Crafty Boys and Girls? Gender balance in crafting! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you...
A guy
19%
 19%  [ 23 ]
A girl
77%
 77%  [ 92 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 118

Felt Teeth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:20 am
I'm a chicky, but I've been informed that my hobby is very masculine... I make chainmaille jewelry. Not armor. Just jewelry... but still it's called masculine. WTC?

My boyfriend does some woodwork and I've taught him some basic chainmaille. We made a sheath for his sword together... And my dad is one of the craftiest people I know. He did maille before me and does the most beautiful woodwork I've ever seen.  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:33 pm
Wow. Five guys. Thats a bit disheartening.  

[Sai.kou]

E-C-O B-E-N-D-E-R-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 pm

~~~

I'm a guy, and I'm into crafting things. I sort of have an excuse, my medium is so-called "manly". Working with chainmaille to produce armor is manlier than knitting. Though, it's odd that no one's called into question the "manly-ness" my maille jewelery is. xD
Although... I have kicked around the idea of knitting, it seems like an enjoyable activity. I've watched a girl in my class knit scarves with such ease that she didn't even have to look at what she was doing.
I thought to myself, "Hey! That's what I need! Something to keep my hands busy while I can occupy my mind on other things!"
But, alas, my mailling kept me entertained, and now I've discovered how much fun yo-yo's are, and I'm getting distracted from even my mailling. xD

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:40 pm
I think crafting is perceived as a "girly" hobby. At my summer camp, crafts are only offered to the girls' camp. I don't think that's at all fair!  

kandie_kissies

Sparksol

Aged Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:03 pm
Male person here, and I craft (or rather, attempt to craft) things. I have to find information on how to do things online, since the people I know don't craft anything; or at least don't appear to.

I'm not gay and I don't use dangerous tools to craft with in some attempt to make it "extreme crafting!" or something silly like that.
(Or at least, the tools are no more dangerous than they already are in the first place.)  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:48 am
My dad and brother are very artistic. I heart art  

myranda123678

Pandara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 am
I'm a girl but my boyfriend does a ton of crafty stuff here and there. He sat down to do polymer clay with me yesterday! It was tons of fun although he didn't get as into it as I did. He was the one that actually suggested it though.

The best things he does is wire wrap and metal work. I have a beautiful wire wrap tree with amethyst leaves made by him. It's one of the most gorgeous things I have seen and looks so professional I just assumed he brought it but no he made it. He also has made rings and bracelets. He wood works, does model airplanes, and does knife handles and sheafs. He does a ton of stuff.

I think we are going to work together to make more jewelry. He will do the metal work, I'll do the design and beadwork. It will be fun.

Also my friend Jon crochets, paints, knits, and makes cupcakes.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:12 pm
I don't think men who sews/etc. is gay, I'd actually be rather impressed by their abilities! Creativity is a plus. <3 I'd love a guy who could sew and stchuff.

One time I was at the airport, I saw these two couples doing crochet and helping each other out, it was so cute. whee

As for me, when people see's me sewing or even finds out that I like to sew, they would tend to give me the, "WTF" look. Or, they'd say, "Um, that's cool", when deep inside, they're like, "ugh, what!? you kiddin' me!". hahaha, but there's always people out there who are fascinated by these stuff, in which they would call nifty! :"D

Jazminny

Demond Piaculum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm
Well, I'm an artist and people accept that I craft stuff. I know how to sow, but that's because I want to do something in the medical field. I know how to sow clothes and stuffed animals too. But I like to sculpt more than sowing. Anyway I sketch and paint and write...
Oh well.
Oh yeah! I'm also a guy in the US Army.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:00 pm
I'm glad we have at least a few crafty guys on here! Good on ya for ignoring the haters xd  

Chisa
Captain

PainfullyVivid

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:27 pm
I actually don't know any males around my area that are into crafting. D=
My father knows how to crochet because my Nana taught him, but he has never done anything with it. Silly man.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:36 am
Hi, Ive been a guild member for about a month but, just haven't posted.
I do lots of craft stuff. I have cross stitched in the past and, I sew.
Its funny cause, my mom saw me sewing and, she decided to break up some of her sewing stuff for my sister and, sister in law. My sister just looked at her and said, "I have no interest in sewing and, I never have. don't you think your being a bit sexist, you didn't offer him any of this stuff."
That was the first time my mom realized she was being just as sexist as the men she hates. Made me laugh and, I ended up with some nifty sewing stuff.
I want to make some womens clothes but, I don't have a girlfriend to use as a practice dummy and, I don't want to be the guy with a closet full of womens dresses either. burning_eyes I have this bag of cool odd retro patterns from the 30's through the 70's. some of them are so Leave it to Beaver its awesome. Nope none of them are for sale. Sorry.  

RCMachine

chikalita141

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:14 pm
Hello! I'm just starting to learn about crafting, primarily clay. Anyway.

My dad sews my jeans for me when I tear holes in them, which happens a lot for some reason. (I fall down the stairs and run into things and trip. A lot. Ew.) And he's not gay either ... smile He just knows he has to because I am a failure at sewing and other "feminine" talents.

My stepdad (married to my Mom) makes miniatures and crafts a lot, LOL! biggrin So I think it's fair. Only they don't call them "crafts", they call them "hobbies".

Ps. RCMachine - I'll be your practice dummy XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:42 am
Haha, I'm a guy and I love art, and sculpting/making crafts is one thing I enjoy doing as well. I don't see why people think that boys making crafts is bad, but it does draw some criticism from some people. I try to ignore what people say though. :)  

Hasty Incubus

magpye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:42 pm
I think more traditional crafts (knitting, sewing, etc.) are still more female dominated.

But I've recently started modifying vinyl figures, and I think that's very much male dominated. (For instance, painting Munny, Dunnys, or similar.) When I look online to see how to do something I want to try, the forums talking about DIY vinyl figures are full of boys.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff