Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"DEVIL-WORSHIPER!!!" '"SHUT UP already!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 pm
Goddess of the Coulee
I've never experienced any of this... I'm sorry you have to endure people with such closed-minds, not that people here are very open-minded... they just don't care about opinions on religion. i am a loner by choice so it's not like many people speak to me anyway, but it's just not a big issue with these kids.

Just remind yourself that it's not like that everywhere and just keep your head up.

Look at me... i'm friends with a mormon, he doesn't agree with my beliefs, nor my choice of language, but we can manage to get along.
User Image

The Mormons I know are among the most open-minded of Christians; their theology doesn't necessarily condemn others to Hell. Most all of them are pretty easy to get along with in that area.

Something I recently experienced that's in line with this topic occurred with my aunt. My aunt is a really sweet, loveable person - which makes this all the more hurtful. On Father's Day weekend, my parents, grandfather, boyfriend, and I went to her house to go fishing since she lives on a lake. My boyfriend and I are both atheists, but my grandfather was the only person at this event who is aware of this fact (my mother knows that my boyfriend is an atheist, but all she knows about me is that I'm no longer a Christian).

My aunt was brought up in Kentucky, in an environment where people believe that atheists are evil and immoral. I was brought up in a similar environment, to a point, but I finally started thinking for myself. Anyway, apparently my aunt never reached such a point; she's firmly entrenched in her beliefs and talks as if there's a man in the sky controlling her entire life, just as my mother does.

Her ex-husband (her first marriage, before she married my mom's brother and became my aunt) is in his 50s and he's having a total midlife crisis - he's dating a 20-something goth girl who happens to be an atheist. My 13 year old cousin was visiting his dad and the goth girlfriend at that time, and my aunt REALLY does not like the girlfriend.

She was telling us all about the conversation she'd had with him upon sending her son to visit them - she instructed him that he was to take their son to church (whether he, the ex, believed in it or not), and that his girlfriend was not to mention any of "that atheist devil-worshipping crap" to her son, under any circumstances. Hearing such a hateful comment coming from such a loving person was extremely hurtful to me. It was really difficult to hold my tongue, to tell the truth - but I didn't feel like getting into it with my entire family, so I kept quiet.

It's alright to request that the kid be taken to church, since he really wanted to go... but it's too much to demand that they not share any "controversial" religious ideas with him. How is he going to learn to think for himself if all he ever hears of is Christianity? He'll end up just like his and my mothers - a really kind person who also happens to be a religious bigot.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 pm
I actually haven't been an atheist for that long...
My closest friends are pretty religious (Christians) but they KNOW what atheism is Lol. Yeah yeah they still kinda do the preaching thingy but whatever. When I'm messing around and being sarcastic, I'll call myself a devil worshipper and make jokes about how I have no morals... but it isn't that bad or anyhtiing  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Goddess of the Coulee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Goddess of the Coulee
I've never experienced any of this... I'm sorry you have to endure people with such closed-minds, not that people here are very open-minded... they just don't care about opinions on religion. i am a loner by choice so it's not like many people speak to me anyway, but it's just not a big issue with these kids.

Just remind yourself that it's not like that everywhere and just keep your head up.

Look at me... i'm friends with a mormon, he doesn't agree with my beliefs, nor my choice of language, but we can manage to get along.
User Image

The Mormons I know are among the most open-minded of Christians; their theology doesn't necessarily condemn others to Hell. Most all of them are pretty easy to get along with in that area.

Something I recently experienced that's in line with this topic occurred with my aunt. My aunt is a really sweet, loveable person - which makes this all the more hurtful. On Father's Day weekend, my parents, grandfather, boyfriend, and I went to her house to go fishing since she lives on a lake. My boyfriend and I are both atheists, but my grandfather was the only person at this event who is aware of this fact (my mother knows that my boyfriend is an atheist, but all she knows about me is that I'm no longer a Christian).

My aunt was brought up in Kentucky, in an environment where people believe that atheists are evil and immoral. I was brought up in a similar environment, to a point, but I finally started thinking for myself. Anyway, apparently my aunt never reached such a point; she's firmly entrenched in her beliefs and talks as if there's a man in the sky controlling her entire life, just as my mother does.

Her ex-husband (her first marriage, before she married my mom's brother and became my aunt) is in his 50s and he's having a total midlife crisis - he's dating a 20-something goth girl who happens to be an atheist. My 13 year old cousin was visiting his dad and the goth girlfriend at that time, and my aunt REALLY does not like the girlfriend.

She was telling us all about the conversation she'd had with him upon sending her son to visit them - she instructed him that he was to take their son to church (whether he, the ex, believed in it or not), and that his girlfriend was not to mention any of "that atheist devil-worshipping crap" to her son, under any circumstances. Hearing such a hateful comment coming from such a loving person was extremely hurtful to me. It was really difficult to hold my tongue, to tell the truth - but I didn't feel like getting into it with my entire family, so I kept quiet.

It's alright to request that the kid be taken to church, since he really wanted to go... but it's too much to demand that they not share any "controversial" religious ideas with him. How is he going to learn to think for himself if all he ever hears of is Christianity? He'll end up just like his and my mothers - a really kind person who also happens to be a religious bigot.

User Image

I'm not exactly sure what it is that they teach and learn... this boy is not very open-minded. He believes that i should believe because i need to believe something. We sometimes argue over why religion is and he always tells me how bad cafffeine is and other such things. In the end he's my bud and no matter how annoying, we put our beliefs aside.

We can't just stereotype a religious group due to the fact that they each have their own mind and can adhere to whichever pieces of that religion they wish to.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 pm
I've been called "heathen" periodically, and I even enjoy being called "anti-christ"... but then I find, when people are alone with me, they're fascinated by it. They want to talk to me about things they're afraid/ashamed to talk to other Christians about. I find that rather fulfilling.  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 pm
Goddess of the Coulee
Daffodil the Destroyer
Goddess of the Coulee

User Image

User Image

I'm not exactly sure what it is that they teach and learn... this boy is not very open-minded. He believes that i should believe because i need to believe something. We sometimes argue over why religion is and he always tells me how bad cafffeine is and other such things. In the end he's my bud and no matter how annoying, we put our beliefs aside.

We can't just stereotype a religious group due to the fact that they each have their own mind and can adhere to whichever pieces of that religion they wish to.
User Image

To be honest, I'm unclear as to what you're referring about stereotyping religious groups. Having grown up in and around the groups to which I'm referring, I know what it is that these groups teach, and I know that most of their adherents do come out with certain false ideas about people of other belief systems (particularly those with NO belief system). I know also that I fell into that trap during high school, and I can attest to their methods being quite effective on young minds. I also know quite a few Mormons who have discussed their theology with me, so I have a bit of background on where they come from as well.

It looks like you're saying that I am stereotyping one or the other of these groups - and I assure you that I speak from a large amount of personal experience that tells me that, in general, these ideas are very pervasive among certain Christian groups. Yes, people have their own minds, but generally these are agreed-upon tenets of certain areas and certain denominations, and most followers of those denominations that reside in those areas do not disagree.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:42 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
Goddess of the Coulee
Daffodil the Destroyer
Goddess of the Coulee

User Image

User Image

User Image

To be honest, I'm unclear as to what you're referring about stereotyping religious groups. Having grown up in and around the groups to which I'm referring, I know what it is that these groups teach, and I know that most of their adherents do come out with certain false ideas about people of other belief systems (particularly those with NO belief system). I know also that I fell into that trap during high school, and I can attest to their methods being quite effective on young minds. I also know quite a few Mormons who have discussed their theology with me, so I have a bit of background on where they come from as well.

It looks like you're saying that I am stereotyping one or the other of these groups - and I assure you that I speak from a large amount of personal experience that tells me that, in general, these ideas are very pervasive among certain Christian groups. Yes, people have their own minds, but generally these are agreed-upon tenets of certain areas and certain denominations, and most followers of those denominations that reside in those areas do not disagree.

User Image

She's making a fair statement since she makes it clear that she's only speaking from her experience and uses modifiers like "most". It's generally very difficult and at times unnecessarily painful to try to argue someone into accepting your [non]-religious position. I believe it's best to behave in a manner consistent with your conscience whilst being clear that your motives are not rooted in theology. It's much harder for them to argue against what is right before them, physically present. Let them grapple with their belief that their good-hearted loved ones are damned, by themselves.  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 pm
People tend to call me a 'god-hater' more than they do a 'devil-worshiper' at my Catholic school that I'm required to grace with my presence on a daily basis.
I haven't really heard 'devil-worshiper' before although people tend to act like they think I am.
For example, I have a friend who comes from a mildly strict Russian Orthodox family. Whenever I'm over she waves a religious icon around and tries to poke at me with it and say, "Feel the burn!"
Now, it's all in good fun...just a joke and all but lately I've found it rather irritable as the joke's kinda reaching past the limits of its best before date like mildewing yogurt.
Also, I remember when I was in grade eight I made my english teacher, a very religious old bag...of non-sense, cry because I wrote that I didn't want to be confirmed for a confirmation-based writing assignment.
The worst she called me was 'ungreatful' as she blubbered on about how on earth it could ever be possible that I couldn't see how much god loves me.
I felt bad for making an old fat lady cry but now that I flashback on it...I find it somewhat humourous as my english teacher seemed to resemble a whale (yes I know that's a malicious thought to laugh at but I can't seem to help it...I absolutely hated that teacher for other reasons unrelated to religion) choking on tears.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:41 pm
A couple months ago, before school got out for the summer, I was eating lunch in the cafeteria, right? Some random person came up to me and started shouting stuff at me. I don't remember most of it, but..."Spawn of Satan! Something, something, something, why are you trying to destroy all that is pure and holy in this world?!?!? Take this!" When he said "take this" he splashed me with holy water, and then he fled. He ruined my rigatoni crying

A little bit before that too, when I had a sub in math...
"Would the Christians please stand up?"
Most of the class, of course, stood up.
"Devil-worshipers who remained seating, come to my desk."
He gave us all referrals, but when we went to the office, we explained what happened, so we didn't get detention or anything. I don't know what happened to the sub, but I'm guessing that he won't be working in my school district again...

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

Niveous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:42 am
DivineBlindSoul
In my opinion, when people call me a devil worshiper I politely (( If not a little arrogantly... sweatdrop )) tell them that by being atheist I don't believe in ANY higher power--that includes "The Devil" hence I don't worship the devil...

^^^ That would be me talking slowly and clearly to ignorant hicks in Brainerd MN and spoiled, rich kids in Blaine MN.

But yeah...I don't know. I had other issues up in Brainerd that took, more energy over the fact that I was atheist--though I've mentioned in a different thread that the worst for me is when people at my work come up to me and try and convert me. This is co-workers AND customers. GAH!

And at my job interview (( new job not that ^ ^ ^ one )) the boss actually asked me what my faith was like, I couldn't believe that. Not only is that illegal but it's rather a**-holeish...Then when I told him that I'm an atheist but I respect that people can believe what they want he seemed alright with me but shortly thereafter made a comment like, "So we can work on you then...?" Like all "wink-wink-nudge-nudge". God I wanted to scream NO!!! But this was a job interview after all so with every ounce of will power I had I smiled and half nodded. I mean seriously!!

Sorry...I was rambling, but for real?! So we can work on you!? WHat is that!?

I'd like to point out. Yes. It seems very much like people use it as a "private club" and that joke made you seem like a potential new member.

Its like that episode of the Simpsons with the Stone Cutter society. If you want the perks, you have to be a member. So it really does help if you throw around the fact that "you happen to be Christian"

I think its wrong though. It really has little to do with the professional merit you provide on the job...unless you were applying for th a church position.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm
No one's been on me about my beliefs really. I guess I live in the intelligent part of Pennsylvania.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

MoonLadyUmi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:24 pm
i live in the central kentucky, meaning most people are open-minded enough to not do such things, and my school is pretty liberal, or open-minded conservatives.
BUT, my dad accidentally found out that i wasn't christian (at the time i was agnostic. now i'm agnosticishpagany), he gave me an hour-long lecture, literally, on how and why i was going to hell and how i was doing this to spite him. i tried to explain my point of view, but, being the deaf bigot he is, he barelled right through my words and kept talking. i just sat back and daydreamed while i waited for him to finish. his parting words were:
"i can't believe you'd do this to me".
he'd told my mom, naturally, and she's okay with it, but mostly because she knows i'm me and i'm stubborn and nothing she can do or say will change me. she knows i'm really different from my mostly-hick family, so she just accepts it. my dad pretends none of my "wierdness" exists. rolleyes whatever. i'm ast it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:26 pm
Habible
A couple months ago, before school got out for the summer, I was eating lunch in the cafeteria, right? Some random person came up to me and started shouting stuff at me. I don't remember most of it, but..."Spawn of Satan! Something, something, something, why are you trying to destroy all that is pure and holy in this world?!?!? Take this!" When he said "take this" he splashed me with holy water, and then he fled. He ruined my rigatoni crying

A little bit before that too, when I had a sub in math...
"Would the Christians please stand up?"
Most of the class, of course, stood up.
"Devil-worshipers who remained seating, come to my desk."
He gave us all referrals, but when we went to the office, we explained what happened, so we didn't get detention or anything. I don't know what happened to the sub, but I'm guessing that he won't be working in my school district again...

eek That sub is a b***h! If he dident get kicked out of being a teacher for atleast a year then I am shocked and wouldent be very surprizes because of my school were everyones christian..however the teachers wouldent do anything like that because they believe everyone at the school is chirstian..which it pretty much is. Everyones christian, very few atheists me being one of them(atleast 6-7 including me). And NO-ONE other than me and one other person I know accually watch anime, this is completely unrelated but im very upset with this because anime/manga and everything otaku is my life...I have nothing in common with anyone other than one person.  

Asterisk07

Jackbedead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 pm
It is puzzling to me why people so commonly equate atheism with satanism. If you're atheist that means you don't believe in god, and thus you also don't believe in the devil. christians especially just seem to be unrelentingly stupid on this point... stare

But yes, I have been called a devil worshiper/satanist. And although that is a compliment compared to being called christian, I still had to rather sternly set them straight on what it meant to be atheist. I just don't buy into any of that nonsense.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:01 am
I've never been called a devil-worshiper.
I sat next to a kid in my design class who used to tell me that satan was taking me away from God, and to reagain faith before it was "too late".

But one of my best friends gets called a Devil-Worshipper. Athiests aren't that rare, and don't really get called devil-worshippers. But my friend is a satanist. Not a devil-worshipper, but a LaVeyan Satanist. Of corse, nobody has a clue what satanism actually is, and the whole teenage population thrives on stereotypes, so she has tonnes of people come up to her asking "Is it true that you worship the devil?"  

x__Death-Of-Glitter__x

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces