Books you hated. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When I read a book I hate...
  ...I don't finish it.
  ...I finish it.
  ...I finish it and rant for days about how much time I wasted on that POS.
View Results

Tsuki_Hana_Chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm
Although I never got further then the prolog in Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton I can't stand that book. It literally took me an hour to read one page. I kept falling asleep. It wasn't because I was tired either, which is why I normally fall asleep during reading. The book just bore me to death. My younger brother had to keep waking me up every few minutes. Uh. I can't stand it. Actually no one in my class liked it. We whined so much about it that our teacher didn't assign it to the class the year after ours.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:58 am
Ooh, I thought of another one:
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. scream  

Volatile Rainbow

Renette

7,875 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 am
I actually liked The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. Not so fond of her other books, but that one was alright. Then again, I also liked The Giver (not the sequels), though the ending drives me crazy. I actually wrote a fanfiction that was similar in plot to the sequels. And I know it sucked, badly. -snicker-

I know this is a thread about books that people hate, and this rather goes with this idea - who hated Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank? Because... that's another one of my favorites. -geekish nerd-

Hmm.. -thinks, leans back- Another book I hate. Let me think. Ah, Paradise Lost by... Milton, I think? I could NOT stay awake for the first page. It just killed it for me I fell asleep trying to read it five times - and what I was able to read, I couldn't comprehend. And I wasn't even TIRED. Forgive me if I got his name wrong, but it's been a while since I picked up that book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am
Volatile Rainbow

Why d'you hate it? D:  

irock708

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 am
Volatile Rainbow

I totally agree! I know it has a really good meaning, like don't judge people based on how much money they have. But... for some reason, I just can't get myself to like that book.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 am
Oh, and I really like Series of Unfortunate Events, but I don't like the last book. It's like Snicket got bored, so he decided to kill off just about all of his characters. ._.  

Collote
Crew

Merenwen99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm
Collote
Oh, and I really like Series of Unfortunate Events, but I don't like the last book. It's like Snicket got bored, so he decided to kill off just about all of his characters. ._.

Not to mention the end of The End . . . I was thoroughly disappointed . . . but I still love the series smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 am
The Old Man And The Sea By Ernest Hemmingway. Dear god, I had to read this in highschool. Ok I get it, its a bitchy old man, in a crappy boat trying to catch a big fish. We don't need to talk for sixteen pages about how the rope cut his fingers and he had to pee over the side of the boat!

The Grapes of Wrath By John Steinbeck. This book, I couldn't get past the first chapter. I think it has been distinguished as the book with the longest run on sentence in American Literature. And what may you ask is the first few pages ALL about? The air. It was really dry. Like really really dry. I GET IT! The air was DRY! Can we all just agree the air was freaking dry and move on with our LIVES?!

Just about anything written by Mark Twain. All my teachers would go on about his clever humor. Guess what? I didn't get it. I couldn't understand HALF of what they were talking about! At least student Shakespear books come with a damn dictionary for all the weird words they use that NOBODY uses anymore.  

Mishi Love

Benevolent Loiterer

10,275 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 am
irock708
Volatile Rainbow

Why d'you hate it? D:

The writing style made me grind my teeth, the storyline was exaggerated, the characters fell flat for me.
I know it's supposed to be awesome because Hinton was like fifteen or something when she wrote it--but all I really got out of it was that...yeah, a not-especially-talented kid wrote it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 pm
Volatile Rainbow
irock708
Volatile Rainbow

Why d'you hate it? D:

The writing style made me grind my teeth, the storyline was exaggerated, the characters fell flat for me.
I know it's supposed to be awesome because Hinton was like fifteen or something when she wrote it--but all I really got out of it was that...yeah, a not-especially-talented kid wrote it. sweatdrop

Lol, that's all right, I guess. When in Rome ;P

I didn't really hate this book, but I was just so godfreaking confused... But... Naked Lunch. Omgosh x_x.

I'm going to give it another shot when I'm older, but geebus. It was honestly the first time that I read something and I said "What the FRICK just happened?"  

irock708

teenroses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:35 pm
Um:
"A Friend At Midnight" I have absolutely no idea who it's by.
Why, you ask? Um, personal reasons. If you're religious, then it's fine. To me (being not so religious), it was extremely hard to read.

"Princess Diaries" by Meg Cabot.
Why? I just really couldn't relate to the narrator.

"Beach Thrillers" R.L. Stine.
First of all: R.L. Stine's writing is lacking to me. He jumps to different dialogues randomly, his character's emotions are uneven an random (too), and a lot of his books have immature characters that I can't relate to at all.

Also, I was expecting a decent long book, with scary stuff and whatever...so...I thought "Hey, pretty good" up until I got to the end of the first story. I think his book had 3 stories in all. After that, I thought "EWWW, are ALL of his stories just going to be a repeat, with only 100 pages to it??!!" and I never opened it again.

"Uninvited" I have no idea who it's by.
It was just...so...uninteresting. The plot just didn't really make sense.

"Star Girl" by Jerri Spinelli.
Okay, I actually liked this book, but I just wanted to point out something.

Um, the ending...is so weird. It makes me wonder "WHAT THE HECK HE'S GOING TO WRITE IN THE SEQUEL??!!" Um, it was so sudden, so touching, yet so shocking. So...strange, so time passing. So saddening, so questioning. One cannot really explain it.

"Harmless" The whole point is just...nowhere. It doesn't make sense. I mean, some girls, doing stuff they shouldn't-nothing new, right?

"Bounce"
This book...well, I guess I made my expectations so high after "Lush" and "Perfect", that "Bounce" was unable to really...glue me tight enough for me to stay on. I just...fell off it, and moved on.

Yup. Yup. Yup.
"Stargirl" was the only book I finished. ...I never really finish books when I find I dislike them (stupid habit)... neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:35 pm
Volatile Rainbow
irock708
Volatile Rainbow

Why d'you hate it? D:

Oh, I do remember reading that for school razz I didn't really fancy it.  

teenroses

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:03 pm
I'll have to add Dark City by Frank Lauria to my Hate List. I just got finished with it, and BLAAARG. scream

To be fair, I wasn't expecting much. It is a book based on a movie, and they almost always suck.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:35 pm
I always liked The Giver. The only book I can think of off hand that I really hated is The Catcher in the Rye. I have no idea why it's so highly rated; I think Holden Caulfield is the worst, most annoying character in any book I've ever come across. XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

soccerstars10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:58 pm
Merenwen99
Collote

Not to mention the end of The End . . . I was thoroughly disappointed . . . but I still love the series smile

very dissapointing.. sad ... still like the series though
so i agree with u

and a book i didnt like.. hmmm. i guess i'll say the lord of the flies..
it was just very hard for me to get into that book.. and it was sooo boring in the beggining!! gonk  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff