Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Pledge Of Allegiance Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you say the pledge?
  Yes.
  No.
  I don't live in the U.S.
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Out of respect for other people, and mainly the military I will say the pledge or did at least while in school. However, I would leave out the words "under god".

All I am doing then is saying the original pledge...not the revised one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 am
Like many others posting, I also simply omit the "under God" so it reads as "one nation, indivisible" and so on. I had to read the pledge over morning announcements once and did it in the above fashion -- every time afterwards where I had to read the morning announcements over the intercom, I had to hand over the pledge to someone else who would say it, because my way "causes too much controversy."  

Anavis

Fuzenmaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 pm
"Under God" wasn't in the pledge of allegiance until the mid 1950's. In fact the original pledge was quite different from the one we are so familiar with today. I remember hearing that somebody got upset that God wasn't in the pledge and some legal action was taken. Anyway the result is that God is now part of the pledge of allegiance and nobody in politics cares to change that fact.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:13 pm
I do not stand. I do not put my hand on my chest. I do not say a thing. I simply wait for it to be over. I've had s**t thrown at me a lot but the worst I ever got was my principle being called into class so he could tell me that I don't have to say the pledge but I will stand and put my heart over my hand in respect to america. My reply was simply america is hell! That shut him up forever. I don't actually believe america is hell but it's pretty close and I just wanted him and everybody else to leave me alone. Since when is NOT pledging my immortal soul to a country wrong???  

Dirty Dirty Shisno

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 pm
I don't really understand the whole pledge thing. We don't have anything similar here in Finland. Ok, when we hoist the flag in big formal occasions we either sing the national anthem or an anthem for the flag, but we don't have anything that we'd have to repeat at schools all across the country or anything like that.
I think if I'd move or go to US as an exchange student I'd have huge difficulties with the pledge, mainly because of the religion but also some other things that it represents.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 pm
Sini X
I don't really understand the whole pledge thing. We don't have anything similar here in Finland. Ok, when we hoist the flag in big formal occasions we either sing the national anthem or an anthem for the flag, but we don't have anything that we'd have to repeat at schools all across the country or anything like that.
I think if I'd move or go to US as an exchange student I'd have huge difficulties with the pledge, mainly because of the religion but also some other things that it represents.

Not all places or public schools require you to say the Pledge. At the most they require you to either stand up, or sit really quietly. It depends upon where you go.

Sanguvixen

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:27 pm
My school doesn't force us to say the pledge, but I think we're supposed to stand. I usually stand up and just put my hand over my heart but don't say anything. Sometimes I don't even stand but the teachers don't really enforce it seriously or anything  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm
Fuzenmaru
"Under God" wasn't in the pledge of allegiance until the mid 1950's. In fact the original pledge was quite different from the one we are so familiar with today. I remember hearing that somebody got upset that God wasn't in the pledge and some legal action was taken. Anyway the result is that God is now part of the pledge of allegiance and nobody in politics cares to change that fact.

I like to point this out when I'm dragged into a religious argument with a fanatic who brings up the pledge.

I haven't been in a situation where I was supposed to say the pledge for years and years, since Elementary school at least. I think even then I would leave out the "under god" part sometimes.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Goddess of the Coulee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:14 am
I do not say the pledge nor do i stand... I am unamerican though and do not fully agree with american ways, I do realize I am spoiled and do not have to endure the government actually trying to kill me (Darfur.). I do believe that the leaders of america settle for less and they should attempt to better the country and, the world, more so than they do.

It reminds me of war and I am pro-peace  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm
I don't say the pledge because of the 'Under God' part. Since I didn't say it, my school got angry and suspended me for a week, even though I've explained to my principal time and time again why I don't say the pledge. After my suspension was over, I had to go to the main office and tell the principal again of why I'm 'unpatriotic' and why I 'hate my country'.  

Born Of Ash And Despair

Hallowed Phantom

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 pm
Arcken Triblood
I don't say the pledge because of the 'Under God' part. Since I didn't say it, my school got angry and suspended me for a week, even though I've explained to my principal time and time again why I don't say the pledge. After my suspension was over, I had to go to the main office and tell the principal again of why I'm 'unpatriotic' and why I 'hate my country'.

I think it's against the constitution to do that.
They always told me, way back in first grade to begin with, that no one had to say if it they didn't want to.
No one in my class cares enough to say it nowadays.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 am
I say the Pledge.

All of the Pledge.

I do it more for respect for my country (which I love), rather than anything else. The "under God" bit doesn't bother me because, as much as people want to say otherwise, America was based loosely on Christian ideals and the church is NOT separate from the state. Sure, you can practice your own religion and we don't have a set one that everyone practices, but you have to acknowledge the fact that it IS there.

I respect that. I don't like it, but I respect it. I don't expect everyone to say the Pledge, and I am happy to acknowledge the fact that you don't HAVE to say it. That is WHY is say it - because our country is fair enough to give us the choice, unlike many, many others.

-b.

b-asinine

Born Of Ash And Despair

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm
KuroFur
Arcken Triblood

I think it's against the constitution to do that.
They always told me, way back in first grade to begin with, that no one had to say if it they didn't want to.
No one in my class cares enough to say it nowadays.

I don't remember ever getting the option of saying it or not, but maybe I'm wrong. In my art class, which is where we say it, almost everyone there is Christian, with the exception of me being atheist and my friend who's Muslim. The rest of the class gets super pissed off when we don't stand or say the pledge, and my teacher get's really frustrated at me for some reason.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:20 pm
We don't really say the pledge anymore at our school... except when we have an assembly which is not very often.  

Goddess of the Coulee

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 pm
I stand, put my hand over my heart, but I won't say it.

I remember in seventh grade, to try out for the play, they made us say the Pledge, and I got so messed up because it had been forever since I last said it. My friend ended up helping me by whispering the words. XD

I was forced to try out, so it's not like I actually cared.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff